Rubin didn’t leave UNT for NIL money

13 hours ago, Big Z said:

Where did you hear that from? 

AAC board. Some people were posting about it. I'm referring to Davis btw. They also said Goldin had some trouble too, but he was a grad transfer which are easier to let in.

I hate to see him leave, but, I want him to be able to do whatever he believes is best for him and his family. He has contributed immensely to our program for several seasons, accomplished so much, and I am extremely grateful for his endeavors. 

I hope Michigan is opening the bank vault for him.

And, like others before him, he graduated prior to transferring. He stayed here for the duration of his undergraduate career and I believe should be eligible for HOF consideration.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, ADLER said:

I believe should be eligible for HOF consideration.

No, I agree with everything you stated up to that point.  We cannot support HOF for players who voluntarily choose to leave.  What next, will we start enshrining players from other teams to our HOF?  Rubin will forever be considered a Michigan graduate in his professional career.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

No, I agree with everything you stated up to that point.  We cannot support HOF for players who voluntarily choose to leave.  What next, will we start enshrining players from other teams to our HOF?  Rubin will forever be considered a Michigan graduate in his professional career.

Assuming he graduates from Michigan. He IS a graduate of UNT. 

• Upvote 4

It is truly sad to see many of our best posters come on here and try to pretend that we should be ok with our best players leaving to go to other schools.   This system sucks and will ultimately kill college sports and I refuse to adjust my views on it,

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It is truly sad to see many of our best posters come on here and try to pretend that we should be ok with our best players leaving to go to other schools.   This system sucks and will ultimately kill college sports and I refuse to adjust my views on it,

By and large, people agree with your stance. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
And you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
And you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You're invisible now, you've got no secrets to conceal

How does it feel, ah how does it feel?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

More likely, Rubin will be considered a one-and-done journeyman at Michigan and will be a quickly forgotten spare in their dustbin. Have any of our beloved stars been fondly remembered at the schools to which they transferred?

But he shouldn't be criticized for leaving if that move wildly financially benefits him. We need to support what's best for our student athletes and their families even if losing them is to our detriment.

Hopefully, in time, we may be in position to retain some of our premier talent. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/29/2024 at 4:32 PM, MeanGreenZen said:

Johnell Davis is out of Michigan’s price range. Massive bidding war going down for him right now between Arkansas and Kentucky. He will probably be highest paid player in college basketball next season.

Johnell Davis to Arkansas.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

More likely, Rubin will be considered a one-and-done journeyman at Michigan and will be a quickly forgotten spare in their dustbin. Have any of our beloved stars been fondly remembered at the schools to which they transferred?

But he shouldn't be criticized for leaving if that move wildly financially benefits him. We need to support what's best for our student athletes and their families even if losing them is to our detriment.

Hopefully, in time, we may be in position to retain some of our premier talent. 

We have to stop reacting defensively, and tearing down these guys that are taking advantage of the system afforded them.   It's not their fault.

These dudes aren't like Giovanni Vizza, and bailing/"transferering" when they are somewhat challenged by a teammate.  Want to call someone names, or wish them ill?   Look that way... to the guys quitting/walking away when the going gets tough.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

By and large, people agree with your stance. 

It may not be the happiest moments for parents, but you cannot dislike your kids because they leave home to start lucrative careers.

It's the same with our players. They aren't leaving for a better family, they are advancing their financial careers. They competed for us, risked injury for us, and brought enormous recognition for our school. After everything, they are still part of our family and I'd welcome them back for every honor they deserve.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So, I'm assuming you will reserve the same vitriol for any grad-transfer who comes TO North Texas?  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So, I'm assuming you will reserve the same vitriol for any grad-transfer who comes TO North Texas?  

Vitriol? 

Let's not be a softie. He doesn't like the system. Outside of the players, who does? Broke p5 fans/alum is probably the other group. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Most people agree. It’s why people are letting go of season tickets and not giving to athletics. Not just at UNT but at many other universities. I wish this trend would continue to all schools and kill off the NIL! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

It may not be the happiest moments for parents, but you cannot dislike your kids because they leave home to start lucrative careers.

It's the same with our players. They aren't leaving for a better family, they are advancing their financial careers. They competed for us, risked injury for us, and brought enormous recognition for our school. After everything, they are still part of our family and I'd welcome them back for every honor they deserve.

Kids like Rubin and Aaron that graduated?  I tend to be a little more forgiving. Kids like Buggs, Edwards and Noland?  Bye. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we have put the extra covid year mess behind us, so some of this may settle down.  I'm curious if people feel differently about players who came here out of high school and ultimately transfer vs. those who transferred in and then transfer out.  If they transfer in with multiple years of eligibility left or have already transferred multiple times, we shouldn't be surprised if they are only here for a year.

I'm in the camp of once a member of the Mean Green family, always a member of the Mean Green family, but in the fluid state we are in now (and apparently going to be in for the foreseeable future), I do think we need to set some HOF guidelines to account for this.

The family metaphor is used a lot in sports and I even used it here.  As fans I think we get more invested in those student-athletes that start their college careers here and we enjoy watching them grow and develop as athletes and men and women.  We're happy for them when they are ready to "leave the nest" and move on with their lives.  If they are fortunate to make it as professional athletes, that's just icing on the cake.  However, if they leave our nest just to go to another family's nest, I think that is probably what affects fans the most, especially for programs like ours where we struggle to elevate our brand on the national stage.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, keith said:

I think we have put the extra covid year mess behind us, so some of this may settle down.  I'm curious if people feel differently about players who came here out of high school and ultimately transfer vs. those who transferred in and then transfer out.  If they transfer in with multiple years of eligibility left or have already transferred multiple times, we shouldn't be surprised if they are only here for a year.

I'm in the camp of once a member of the Mean Green family, always a member of the Mean Green family, but in the fluid state we are in now (and apparently going to be in for the foreseeable future), I do think we need to set some HOF guidelines to account for this.

The family metaphor is used a lot in sports and I even used it here.  As fans I think we get more invested in those student-athletes that start their college careers here and we enjoy watching them grow and develop as athletes and men and women.  We're happy for them when they are ready to "leave the nest" and move on with their lives.  If they are fortunate to make it as professional athletes, that's just icing on the cake.  However, if they leave our nest just to go to another family's nest, I think that is probably what affects fans the most, especially for programs like ours where we struggle to elevate our brand on the national stage.  

Great sentiments 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1