Will we see changes coming from inside UNT?

Given NIL and the portal, unlimited transfers etc I wonder if the new Chancellor and BOR will ultimately decide to reevaluate our funding towards athletics.  With the new rules we are basically a junior college or minor league team.  Why should we spend millions on facilities and whatnot?  SMU will never let is join the club, we have always been in their shadow and will continue to be with these new rules because of $$$.  I love UNT sports as much as the rest of you but the deck is really stacked against us now.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 9

Just now, wardly said:

With a few exceptions UNT has been at the bottom of alumni giving in D1 athletic programs and I doubt that will change. The NIL more so that the transfer portal is our achilles  heel .

I meant "Texas D1 athletic programs."

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

The fact is that they will let the market decide this. We will see the eventual breakaway and the NCAA schools will probably look like the current G5s and FCS. Whether it’s scholarship only, w-2 employees, or 1099s as consultants, college football and basketball will look so completely different from 25 years ago. If the market allows us to be in one of those levels, then that’s what it will be. It gives cover to the university’s leadership to avoid having to face another self-demoting decision. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Given NIL and the portal, unlimited transfers etc I wonder if the new Chancellor and BOR will ultimately decide to reevaluate our funding towards athletics.  With the new rules we are basically a junior college or minor league team.  Why should we spend millions on facilities and whatnot?  SMU will never let is join the club, we have always been in their shadow and will continue to be with these new rules because of $$$.  I love UNT sports as much as the rest of you but the deck is really stacked against us now.

You realize a funding increase for Athletics from the BOR will not include NIL funds?   Those bribery funds have to come from donors or boosters outside the school.  $mut has over 40 years experience (and a death penalty) with paying players.

Our Athletic Department has always done little to inspire and cultivate our fan base and students.   Much of our Athletic growth was spurred by our location and school size.

• Upvote 6

On 4/20/2024 at 5:14 PM, NT80 said:

You realize a funding increase for Athletics from the BOR will not include NIL funds?   Those bribery funds have to come from donors or boosters outside the school.  $mut has over 40 years experience (and a death penalty) with paying players.

Our Athletic Department has always done little to inspire and cultivate our fan base and students.   Much of our Athletic growth was spurred by our location and school size.

Well, in Virgina schools have a direct hand in this. And make no mistake, other state legislators will vote this in until it's commonplace. They aren't letting their university be left behind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:30 PM, wardly said:

With a few exceptions UNT has been at the bottom of alumni giving in D1 athletic programs and I doubt that will change. The NIL more so that the transfer portal is our achilles  heel .

Never changing in that the athletic department for fund raising. The athletic department goes after the same people with young non-proven fund raisers when we are sitting within the Dallas/ FW area not being courted for NEW CORPORATE DONARS.

A- we need the AD to go out and find a rep that is worth his being paid the price to INCREASE OUR DONAR BASE and CORPORATE INVOLVEMENT!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

This appears to show where all this is going.  Back to the athletic departments who distribute to the players.

Anyone could see this coming as you looked at the landscape the Supreme Court allowed with NIL and the NCAA allowed with the portal.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Anyone could see this coming as you looked at the landscape the Supreme Court allowed with NIL and the NCAA allowed with the portal.

So do the new Virginia laws mean that all the NIL will be run thru the AD?  Seems to makes sense and I think it will be adopted nationally.  It doesn’t help having multiple entities calling on the same small group of alumni and fans for donations.  Centralization makes sense here if you ask me.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

So do the new Virginia laws mean that all the NIL will be run thru the AD?  Seems to makes sense and I think it will be adopted nationally.  It doesn’t help having multiple entities calling on the same small group of alumni and fans for donations.  Centralization makes sense here if you ask me.

That makes sense. And now the legislatures and state Supreme Courts will have the Power school's backs if anyone fights this in state. 

• Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That makes sense. And now the legislatures and state Supreme Courts will have the Power school's backs if anyone fights this in state. 

Honestly UNT would probably be better off if this thing continues to evolve and athletes could just be paid for “NIL” ,which is just straight pay for play anyway, out of the University’s operating budget vs. having to raise it externally from donor sources and funnel it to the department to distribute. 

• Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Green Lantern said:

Honestly UNT would probably be better off if this thing continues to evolve and athletes could just be paid for “NIL” ,which is just straight pay for play anyway, out of the University’s operating budget vs. having to raise it externally from donor sources and funnel it to the department to distribute. 

Maybe. If a reasonable cap is placed. But attorneys will call that racist and unethical... and somehow get their way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

either way....it seems that there is no longer going to be a middle ground. And UNT and it's alumni need to decide which way they're going to go. 

Either go all in....or drop. We can't just sit and stay afloat....unless there is some sort of official break. That seems to be our only hope. Let the top 40 schools form their own thing and then the rest of us go regional. That's really our only option and if that doesn't happen then it's time to decide if throwing any money toward "big time" football is worth it. I challenge anyone to come up with a justification for it.

Basketball is still there for the taking and much less expensive to operate.

• Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

either way....it seems that there is no longer going to be a middle ground. And UNT and it's alumni need to decide which way they're going to go. 

Either go all in....or drop. We can't just sit and stay afloat....unless there is some sort of official break. That seems to be our only hope. Let the top 40 schools form their own thing and then the rest of us go regional. That's really our only option and if that doesn't happen then it's time to decide if throwing any money toward "big time" football is worth it. I challenge anyone to come up with a justification for it.

Basketball is still there for the taking and much less expensive to operate.

I've said this exact thing for years. Those NFL-lite and NBA-lite schools need to separate completely. Move on to their New Minor League setup. And let the rest of us compete against peers in a structure that makes sense, from a cost standpoint. I would love to have UNT in a league that has the current AAC, MWC, CUSA, MAC, and SBC schools, as well as the former power programs that get left behind, like Washington State and Oregon State have already experienced. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I've said this exact thing for years. Those NFL-lite and NBA-lite schools need to separate completely. Move on to their New Minor League setup. And let the rest of us compete against peers in a structure that makes sense, from a cost standpoint. I would love to have UNT in a league that has the current AAC, MWC, CUSA, MAC, and SBC schools, as well as the former power programs that get left behind, like Washington State and Oregon State have already experienced. 

Short of us going 26-1 and making the playoff the next couple of years or getting our version of T Boone....it's the only hope our football program has to survive

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1