John Calipari to Arkansas

USC—>SMU

Arkansas—>USC

Kentucky—>Arkansas

Is it just me or are all of these a little weird?  They all seem like a downgrade as far as basketball jobs go, though I guess you could argue Arkansas to USC is lateral.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

USC—>SMU

Arkansas—>USC

Kentucky—>Arkansas

Is it just me or are all of these a little weird?  They all seem like a downgrade as far as basketball jobs go, though I guess you could argue Arkansas to USC is lateral.

Cal tired of Kentucky fan base. The other moves seem location related. Definitely Arkansas to USC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

USC—>SMU

Arkansas—>USC

Kentucky—>Arkansas

Arkansas is a much better basketball job than USC.

USC has never won a national championship and has only been to the Final Four twice. 

Arkansas won the national title in 1994 and has six Final Fours. 

Plus, Arkansas fans care about basketball. Nobody cares about USC basketball.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Arkansas is a much better basketball job than USC.

USC has never won a national championship and has only been to the Final Four twice. 

Arkansas won the national title in 1994 and has six Final Fours. 

Plus, Arkansas fans care about basketball. Nobody cares about USC basketball.

Historically, no doubt Arkansas is a much better job, but past 15-20 years…it’s much more debatable.  

Fan support is not debatable.  Not even close.

• Upvote 1

But UK is one of the prestigious men's basketball programs. Calipari has been in hot water here in Kentucky for his lack of NCAA tournament success in the past few years and UK likely can't raise the $$ to buy out is big contract.

This is a gift to UK fans for sure.

Kentucky fans expect a lot more from the men's basketball program than probably any other program. Absolutely brutal place with no excuses.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Scott Drew (Baylor) is meeting with Kentucky about their opening.  If he goes there would Grant be in line at Baylor, his alma mater?

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/scott-drew-to-meet-with-mitch-barnhart-kentucky-regarding-coaching-vacancy/

I mean it is not even a question, Baylor has always been Grant's dream job and he will be the next guy if Drew leaves.  Baylor has biog pockets and will be able to buy him out.

• Upvote 1

McCasland has five years left on his Tech deal at about $3M a year. So $15M.
His buyout at Tech is 40% of the $ remaining on his contract. So Tech will get $6M if Baylor buys him out.
And just think, good ole Wren Baker got us all of $750K when Tech bought him out of our deal. Way to go Wren! 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Layne Taylor is not going to Arkansas, lol. Now… Aaron Scott, Rubin Jones or Jason Edwards might. 

I would be shocked if any of them ended up in the Ozarks.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:45 PM, MeanGreenZen said:

McCasland has five years left on his Tech deal at about $3M a year. So $15M.
His buyout at Tech is 40% of the $ remaining on his contract. So Tech will get $6M if Baylor buys him out.
And just think, good ole Wren Baker got us all of $750K when Tech bought him out of our deal. Way to go Wren! 

We paid Arkansas State $500,000 to buy out Grant. If Wren had released Benford a year earlier we could have acquired Grant without any additional cost.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:58 AM, NT80 said:

Scott Drew (Baylor) is meeting with Kentucky about their opening.  If he goes there would Grant be in line at Baylor, his alma mater?

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/scott-drew-to-meet-with-mitch-barnhart-kentucky-regarding-coaching-vacancy/

Sounds like he turned down the job and is staying at Baylor. 

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/1778452566520553925

Edited by UNTFan23