BREAKING: Jason Edwards to enter transfer portal

7 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I don't know why we keep ripping guys that contributed from day 1. There's a very good chance that this team would not have achieved what it did without Jason Edwards. If he was the complete package when he came here he wouldn't have came here. Again, this fanbase/board needs to come to grips with the age of NIL and the transfer portal. We love our guys until they leave.     

This is the GoMeanGreen forum. Go Mean Green! If they aren’t Mean Green any more, screw ‘em.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

I think we've been overall fairly reasoned.  Maybe there's a bit of a jilted lover syndrome going on, but that's gonna happen at any program.  You don't think when Caleb Love left UNC he wasn't ripped on Tar Heel messageboards, because I assure you he was. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Big Z said:

So tell me this, a guy jumps from Juco to AAC, plays majority of games without two starters. Had to take on the point guard role and it wasn't good enough? 

I agree it's harsh...but ya, kinda. I think we can do better and in this day and age have a great opportunity to do so. 

dude is a really good sixth man on a good team, not someone to build around. I prefer the opportunity to utilize the portal than what he would've brought back next year. time will tell. 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Young Dolph Money GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

I do hope you’ll throw money at him.    See a kid who is a great scorer…fail to see that he isn’t clutch…try to buy your way to success…continue to be an after thought.  

That would be the most SMU thing ever.  

• Upvote 5

Without Edwards this year, I speculate NT would have lost about 5 more games.   Now we lose the only first team All Conference  player and many chime in that he was not that good anyway and we can do better. 

All those, that think he will be easy to replace and was really a liability; are simply basketball unaware.  What many seem to forget is that opponents' defenses were for most part focused on stopping Edwards.  This freed up the other players for more good shots.  

Many predicted this, he is a hired gun and that is the why he is at NT.  

I think NT will get a good replacement, but I want to thank Edwards for his year of play and wish him the best.  

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

He's tired of only making it to the NIT 

If he went to Houston y'all would have him riding the bench unless he suddenly gained a bunch of discipline in his fast break, ball handling, and learning not to be a messy inaccurate hero at the end of close games.

Appreciate his contributions.  Hope your check is big and you actually get to play where you go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

So if this trend continues, we’ll recruit a scorer that will be all conference next season. 

We were having this same conversation around this time last year when our leading scorer, all conference guard entered the transfer portal before we even knew who Jason Edwards was. 

I don’t even really care either way anymore. Go get another one. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It is pretty concerning to me that the other top programs in the AAC: Memphis, FAU, UAB have demonstrated an ability to retain their elite players. Meanwhile we have lost our leading scorer to the portal two years in a row. 

This is my concern also.  Are we just not paying as much with NIL as our AAC peers?  Why are other schools able to retain their elite players?

EDIT:  I see now that East Carolina has 5 players entering the portal, so not feeling so bad  🙂  Still wish we were able to keep our best talent.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Without Edwards this year, I speculate NT would have lost about 5 more games.   Now we lose the only first team All Conference  player and many chime in that he was not that good anyway and we can do better. 

All those, that think he will be easy to replace and was really a liability; are simply basketball unaware.  What many seem to forget is that opponents' defenses were for most part focused on stopping Edwards.  This freed up the other players for more good shots.  

I think NT will get a good replacement, but I want to thank Edwards for his year of play and wish him the best.  

Maybe we should all appreciate the years Ruben and Aaron have stayed here even more!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

there are scores...maybe hundreds of players scattered throughout college basketball who can get you 19ppg if you get them 15 shots a night. 

he's a really good player, but not special. I'll be curious to watch his career play out, but in the meantime I'm happy for the free scholarship than can be used to help re-balance the roster moving forward. 

unawaredly yours, 
CBL

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

I wish he stuck around, but I can’t blame him if he’s being offered big time money.  He was nice to my son after the Tulane game, so for that I’m grateful.

I don’t feel like the team ever really played to their potential...not his fault. Injuries forced him into the starting lineup…he would have been better served as a 6th man this season.  

I think Hodge will find another player that will contribute…if he has not already found him. GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

So tell me this, a guy jumps from Juco to AAC, plays majority of games without two starters. Had to take on the point guard role and it wasn't good enough? en

I’ve said many times that he’s a good player. As @Censored by Laurie stated though, he’s not a “special” talent. He’s not Perry, or Hamlet, or White, or Thompson, or Davis. I think we can find a better ball handler, more efficient scorer & a longer, more tenacious perimeter defender. We’ll see though. That’s Ross’ job to get that done, not mine.

And as far as this season being “good enough” - it’s a matter of perspective I suppose. The AAC wasn’t THAT much tougher than CUSA of past. We were kinda mid pack. Didn’t really beat the good teams in league play.  We did get into the NIT though - but there were tons of teams on the declined NIT invite list. Happy we played post-season basketball but still think we left quite a bit on the table when it was all said and done. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jdawg48 said:

I was calling this halfway through the season. I like Jason and he is a baller, but something felt off. Dont know what it was, but I sensed that he maybe wasn't fully bought in? Oh well time to pick up another stud JUCO guard.

Screenshot_20240327_143130_X.jpg.6c2a61911c98b1e0f5601bea5062d92c.jpg

At this point let’s just assume everyone doesn’t want to play or win…. This is just going to be everyone. I think it’s just cowards ball. Always run away and always about me. It’s the new norm apparently…. Can’t even celebrate a player we sign because they have done the same. Not fun anymore to be a fan….

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2