It was a good season

I don’t mean to crap on a decent season.  So I’ll stop after this post.  I’ll take this season over the years of Benford and Trilli…but it’s not up to the JJ and Mac years and that is concerning to me.  I don’t want to start slipping and I’m genuinely rooting for Hodge.  But he doesn’t get 5 years to prove it.  Good coaches win quick.  Time for him to step up and prove he’s got it NEXT YEAR.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Pretty accurate. I don't think Ross did a bad job. I think Edwards took us out of our identity too much. And I know it sounds like stupidity to say given he was our leader scorer, and I don't mean this any ill will towards him (and I wish he would stay), but his game inflicted us. And I know a lot of that is due to injury, but he didn't value the ball as a ball handler and he took too many iso shots as a player. I get that all sounds crazy, (and I also wish he stays because he could be a larger asset mining forward), but there's truth to it 

A guy comes from Juco to the AAC and makes 1st team? What are you smoking ? 

• Pissed 1

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

Maybe I'm being selfish, but I really want to see more NT basketball from these guys.  The NIT is no longer realistic, but I'd be happy to learn that we're playing in the CBI.  Might be an opportunity to work on closing out close games--along with being an opportunity for a 20-win season.

If we made it to the CBI tournament, I would like to see Cotton and anyone else that Hodge thinks can play next year get a look.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't smoke much. Kind of a gummie guy... but currently pretty clean. But I'm talking about reality, not statistics 

It’s his first year on the team! You should be infuriated with Sissoko and Stone who have been here longer and haven’t gotten any better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

For those of you criticizing, keep in mind we lost a lot of talent this year and FAU UAB and others kept their entire team in some cases.  Also, I am SO much prouder of what basketball accomplished versus what football did.  Football was much more disappointing.  Our basketball program may have come up short but they were trading punches  with the best of the conference.  FAU was a final 4 team for goodness sakes!  Proud of this team!!

doctor who sherlock GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

If everyone who is eligible to stay stays, and Ross can find a serviceable guy with size (doesn’t have to be a 5, just big enough to challenge at the rim and grab boards) we will make serious noise next year…I’m calling it now.  

I'd like to find a recruit that can level this up big time, not just fill in the gap and/or be serviceable.

(I'm being greedy here)

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Big Z said:

It’s his first year on the team! You should be infuriated with Sissoko and Stone who have been here longer and haven’t gotten any better. 

AND he is a SOPHMORE!

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Pretty accurate. I don't think Ross did a bad job. I think Edwards took us out of our identity too much. And I know it sounds like stupidity to say given he was our leader scorer, and I don't mean this any ill will towards him (and I wish he would stay), but his game inflicted us. And I know a lot of that is due to injury, but he didn't value the ball as a ball handler and he took too many iso shots as a player. I get that all sounds crazy, (and I also wish he stays because he could be a larger asset mining forward), but there's truth to it 

See above. Yes, it is definitely crazy to criticize a guy that accomplished all he did this season against very good talent because his play hasn't matured. Sorry, I think this team would probably be .500 or under without him. If he grows next season and starts becoming more of a person that can teach the younger kids coming in, we could have a very potent offensive team.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'd like to find a recruit that can level this up big time, not just fill in the gap and/or be serviceable.

(I'm being greedy here)

I’m hoping for this also, but are we a program in the eyes of prospects to be a destination point? Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re quite there yet. We out need to keep winning and making noise. Recruit juco players and transfers from big programs like this past season and we can make progress. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Next year looks like this one and I’m ready to move on.

From what? Hodge? UNT Fandom? 

I remember a lot of bad basketball years in my 25+ years of being a fan.  This doesn't even make my top 10.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I would think there's a good possibility of a CBI invite based on our record (18 wins), reaching the quarterfinals of the AAC tourny, and having a NET ranking probably in the 70's.

100 teams go to the NCAA tourny (68) and NIT tourny (32).

The CBI takes 16 teams, so it seems we would have a good shot if Hodge and the team want to participate.  The CBI is a little weird because you need to be invited and also agree to pay into the tourny (like $28k).

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

doctor who sherlock GIF

I know I’ll be in the minority here, but I disagree.  Looking only at the conference schedule, football finished 8th and lost close games to UTSA, Memphis, and Tulane.  No loses to anyone below us in the standings.  Basketball finished 7th with close loses to SMU, UAB (x2) and FAU (x2). Lost to one team below us in the standings.  Very similar seasons in my opinion.

• Oh Boy! 1

55 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I know I’ll be in the minority here, but I disagree.  Looking only at the conference schedule, football finished 8th and lost close games to UTSA, Memphis, and Tulane.  No loses to anyone below us in the standings.  Basketball finished 7th with close loses to SMU, UAB (x2) and FAU (x2). Lost to one team below us in the standings.  Very similar seasons in my opinion.

What really made last year's football season suck was how much of our offense transferred away via the portal after the season ended.  But that seems to be how college sports are these days, so we have to deal with it.  I hope the basketball guys who can come back do so. 

• Upvote 1

I would give this team a B to B+.  It was a big transition year after losing Perry and Ousmane, and of course a new head coach and staff.  The first 1/3 of any college basketball season involves a lot of experimentation by the coaches to try and find out which guys can fill which roles (unless you have all returning starters), and develop a rotation that can win.  Unfortunately for this team, the injury bug really screwed with the lineup rotation and a few guys had to fill roles they weren't quite ready for.  Hopefully they matured from that experience and will be better players for our team next year. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

From what? Hodge? UNT Fandom? 

I remember a lot of bad basketball years in my 25+ years of being a fan.  This doesn't even make my top 10.

Yeah, probably went too far with that one.  But in general I’m becoming more of a draft a QB every couple of years unless you have a Brady, Mahomes, Peyton type of guy.   Keeps you from over spending on a mediocre QB and allows you to invest more in other parts of the team/roster.  Once you find the guy, by all means roll out the vault to keep him.  Same philosophy should apply to college coaches.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

For those of you criticizing, keep in mind we lost a lot of talent this year and FAU UAB and others kept their entire team in some cases.  Also, I am SO much prouder of what basketball accomplished versus what football did.  Football was much more disappointing.  Our basketball program may have come up short but they were trading punches  with the best of the conference.  FAU was a final 4 team for goodness sakes!  Proud of this team!!

FAU yes, UAB lost their best player and current Mavs G league player in Jelly Walker.

• Upvote 2

I give this season a B-  the defensive side of the ball was good.  However the offensive side seemed confused more often then not with what to do.  At times they were very sloppy in bounding the ball and moving the ball out of the back court under a heavy press.  The did recruit well, finding a lot of good role players, but a primary ball handler never emerged that could take advantage of those players.  

• Upvote 1

Execution late in the shot clock is difficult. We did well with CJ, Jason and Robert Allen. Recruiting playmakers in this style as opposed to NBA run and gun is not easy due to player buy in . However, we do get selfless team players which I love.  Last year , there was better chemistry due to continuity . I am confident we can get there with one more big guard who can create and a big forward/ post who has post up game.