(3/6/2024) Texas FBS Power Poll: UNT #10

55 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

That #10 spot is being generous 

i would agree with you, but UNT has  beaten UTEP and Rice over the past few years consistently and Sam Houston is... not good.

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 3
  • RV 1

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

i would agree with you, but UNT has  beaten UTEP and Rice over the past few years consistently and Sam Houston is... not good.

Seth Littrell beat Rice and UTEP over the last few years. Eric Morris didn’t face either one but did lose to FIU.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
  • Downvote 3

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Seth Littrell beat Rice and UTEP over the last few years. Eric Morris didn’t face either one but did lose to FIU.

I don't think anything Littrell did, or really any considerations past 2023 are included in this poll.   Rice was a bowl team last year.   We were not.  Rice lost McCaffery and...? I don't really know.   We lost our 3 best playmakers offensively, and our defense was atrocious last year without schematic change.  Pretty simple... but he STILL put us ahead of them.

And yes, @UNTLifer, I see the author.  It's pretty widely known that he's a UTSA homer and really hates us, but I don't think the rankings are unfair.   Do you honestly think, right now, we're better than any of the teams above us?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do you honestly think, right now, we're better than any of the teams above us?

It does not appear that we have done much to change the ratings to me.  I see us winning 4-5 game next year with this defense.  And we still have not landed one portal defensive lineman.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And yes, @UNTLifer, I see the author.  It's pretty widely known that he's a UTSA homer and really hates us, but I don't think the rankings are unfair.   Do you honestly think, right now, we're better than any of the teams above us?

6-9 are all a toss-up and each have huge question marks going into this season. We could easily move ahead of any of them, but we have huge questions as well. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think anything Littrell did, or really any considerations past 2023 are included in this poll.   Rice was a bowl team last year.   We were not.  Rice lost McCaffery and...? I don't really know.   We lost our 3 best playmakers offensively, and our defense was atrocious last year without schematic change.  Pretty simple... but he STILL put us ahead of them.

We are right now not any better than the teams above us and are too high in the rankings. 
That being said, no one should be ranking or predicting anything at this point, especially since the portal will change lineups again after the spring. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Seems about right. 

Thinking Morris may have been a dud hire. Can't keep players. Can't keep coaches. Can't lure players. However, he keeps coaches that don't perform. And then does nothing to bolster their underperformance. Frankly, I don't see how we are 10. 

Great take after one year and a late start on first year recruiting.  

I think I will hold the coach damnation until I see one more season.   

By the way who was your choice for the job that NT had any chance of hiring?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Great take after one year and a late start on first year recruiting.  

I think I will hold the coach damnation until I see one more season.   

By the way who was your choice for the job that NT had any chance of hiring?

So, if I may, what do you think will spring from THIS season that we haven't seen? 

I have my answer: Decrease in offensive production + Similar defensive output = another poor year. If you don't think that will happen, that is fine. And I hope you're right. But I would like to know what variable(s) you would like uncover that I am unaware of? All things point to a declining football program. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:30 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So, if I may, what do you think will spring from THIS season that we haven't seen? 

I have my answer: Decrease in offensive production + Similar defensive output = another poor year. If you don't think that will happen, that is fine. And I hope you're right. But I would like to know what variable(s) you would like uncover that I am unaware of? All things point to a declining football program. 

Did not see any attempt of an answer to who would you have pursued as a HC.  

It may be your opinion that NT will decline on offense and fail to improve on defense but you offer no backup for your POV.  Morris did improve the offense although that was a lot less an achievement than the challenge on the defensive side. 

I am not sure if you are aware of anymore than I am relative to next year's NT football season.  

Other than a horrible start against Cal and FIU, I think last year was a step in the right direction for NT's program.   Closed the season with two wins, and with the exception of against a very good SMU team, the games were close.  

The most positive variable IMO is that NT replaced .500 Littrell.   Morris may not be the answer but his hiring is at least a change that might work.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I hope I'm wrong, but Morris was an uninspired hire for UNT.  Face it.  We were pathetic last year.

"Uninspired" isn't the word I would use.  It was a fairly aggressive, high-risk/high-reward kind of hire.  He did some very nice things on the offensive side of the ball.  His DC hire looks questionable at best, and one bad hire can undo a lot of good.  But maybe Caponi can get things moving in the right direction this year.  If so, we could realistically be an AAC contender in '25.

Probably not what a lot of people were hoping for when we replaced a coach who may well have been able to do the same, but I'll take it if it works out that way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I hope I'm wrong, but Morris was an uninspired hire for UNT.  Face it.  We were pathetic last year.

Agree 100%.  I was hoping we would make more of a splash hire like Justin Fuente.  Instead we got a guy Texas State pas on.  So  I guess you get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Dannymacfan said:

Instead we got a guy Texas State pas on.  So  I guess you get what you pay for.

Um, Morris passed on Texas State, not the other way around.  And we are paying Morris far more than what Texas State is paying their coach.

Now, you may want to argue that we would have done better to hire the guy Texas State hired.  But that's a different conversation.

• Upvote 2