What would be your move with Rubin?

Rubin is ready. What do you do?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Make the call

• I want him back ASAP. Chemistry/flow at play here. Would start working him into the UTSA game.
    • One, /maybe/ two, games prior to tournament. So, work him in vs FAU/Rice
    • I am not giving him PT until the tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/10/2024 at 06:00 AM

he missed three weeks the first time. it's been three weeks since the re-tweak. I'm not playing him this weekend, even if he's medically cleared. 

I'm not worried about him re-integrating into the team. he's literally the most experienced player in school history. 

err on the side of caution...the conference tournament is our only path into a national tournament. if he is 100% for FAU, maaaaaybe, but definitely some minutes for Rice. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

he missed three weeks the first time. it's been three weeks since the re-tweak. I'm not playing him this weekend, even if he's medically cleared. 

I'm not worried about him re-integrating into the team. he's literally the most experienced player in school history. 

err on the side of caution...the conference tournament is our only path into a national tournament. if he is 100% for FAU, maaaaaybe, but definitely some minutes for Rice. 

Pinned and replying next week. Not killing my weekend high! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

He wasn’t rushed back last time and that didn’t prevent the injury. If he is cleared and feels good, just kind of have to play him and hope for the best. And don’t go into seasons with only one playable PG anymore.

All this back and forth about how we do with/out Rubin. How do you think we’d be doing with a serviceable backup PG? You think we would be sitting with 3-4 more wins? Competing for a 1 or 2 seed?  I suspect we’d be in a position for a T4 seed.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

No reason to bring him back until he’s ready. Regular season championship ship has sailed. I’d like a little ramp up before the tourney but only if he’s not rushed. 

And for CJ as well.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

All this back and forth about how we do with/out Rubin. How do you think we’d be doing with a serviceable backup PG? You think we would be sitting with 3-4 more wins? Competing for a 1 or 2 seed?  I suspect we’d be in a position for a T4 seed.

Imagine this team with Shahada Wells. Ended up at McNeese and averaging 17/5/5

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

I picked  the middle but honestly it also would hinge on if he and Scott plan to return next season. They partner well together. If so I wouldn’t risk it as we have time. If he is gone then perhaps push him back sooner. 

I can’t think of a scenario where this kind of decision is based on offseason turnover.

can you explain your reasoning here?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think we may win 2 of the losses.  Giving Edwards/Buggs a few minutes of rest along the way, goes a long way down the stretch.  I liked the minutes he had Moore log in the first half. I thought it was exactly what we needed.

• Upvote 4

I picked "ASAP," but that's assuming he's fully medically cleared and feeling pretty close to 100%.  He's that important to this team, and even if an at-large NCAA tournament bid is no longer in play, these upcoming regular season games down the stretch are still monumentally important.  Now, if the question is implying that "ASAP" would be playing him at like 80% and with a medical staff unconvinced, then absolutely not.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

and even if an at-large NCAA tournament bid is no longer in play

That went out the window during OOC play.  IMO, it's extremely hard for us to crawl back into those conversations.  Especially after losing to SMU/FAU/UAB.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Glory to the Green said:

Hodge mentioned the value of Moores minutes during the postgame on the radio. If needed, hope he’s able to continue to contribute. 

I really like his ability to handle the basketball.  He's as close to Rubin's ability to handle the ball as we have on the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Even if he's 100% in his first game, he should not get the normal load of playtime. The ideal would be to have him play 10-15 minutes his first couple games to get his body back into game shape. Don't want to him to get hurt again right before the postseason.

Edit to add, if the season ended today, we'd play Tulsa in round 1. Limit Haggerty and they have no other offense. No purpose in pushing Jones to a full load of minutes when he comes back. Get him going with 10-15 minutes per game and ramp it up to about 20-25 in that first postseason game, then unleash him should we win that first game. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

Yes I do. Also assuming a serviceable backup PG would allow Jones to play off the ball periodically as well which would’ve helped in the periods of offensive stagnation when there just hasn’t been enough creators on the floor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

I can’t think of a scenario where this kind of decision is based on offseason turnover.

can you explain your reasoning here?

The same reason they do this in the NBA and honestly it’s happened at high school if the guy isn’t going to a large program. Don’t want him to injure it again and in a major way that could cause problems leading into next season if he is returning. If he isn’t then we can push it as needed to get the most while we have him.