($) Two P5 Transfer QBs Scheduled to Visit North Texas this week

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You're correct with your comments; however, there seem to be more important things for some players (not saying right or wrong, just saying how it looks) than the ability to be developed. For some of these players, the bottom line is NIL money. Look at quarterbacks willing to transfer from starting roles to be backups at other schools. There also seem to be some players who want the experience of playing at the power level.

I think you may have qb’s scrambling to find a home in the next cycle. I have not seen a qb that has been a starter transfer to sit on the bench?  Can you give me a few examples. Thanks

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That was not the point at all. My point was in response to the poster throwing up at Chandler Morris.. When his stats are virtually the same against big 12 talent as Rogers in the sunbelt. 

Gotcha. The completion percentage and yards per attempt are most important to me so I certainly wouldn't snub Morris in those categories. Worth noting, in my opinion, that through 3 seasons at TCU, Morris' completion percentage has remained consistently in the 65% or better range. Yes, some of that is in limited snaps, but the point is, accuracy has never appeared to be an issue.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Salter from Cedar Hill , LIBERTY has entered. A lot of talented Texas qb's in the portal. How many head coaches have found a non recruited player in high school and developed him into a first round NFL draft pick? Morris has a lot to sell.

Salter originally signed with Tennessee out of high school but got into trouble with the law.  Liberty accepted him, imagine that, and gave him a chance to clean up his act, which he supposedly has done, and now he wants back in the P5 ranks.  This is what I dislike.  Liberty gave him a shot when many others didn't want to touch him and this is what they get in return, not that I really like Liberty.

Anyway, he won't give us a second look unless he ends up with no other options.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

A is Chandler Rogers at ULM. I guess the point is we have the coaches in place to turn lemons into lemonade?

I would hardly call either of them lemons.  We were fortunate to get Rogers, and I will be ecstatic if we land Morris.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

I would hardly call either of them lemons.  We were fortunate to get Rogers, and I will be ecstatic if we land Morris.

Morris won the starting TCU job in 2022 only to miss the season due to injury. Rogers bounced around between FBS and JUCO before finally earning the starting QB position at ULM. I just viewed him as a bit raw when he came here. Many on the board were even more skeptical than I was but yes, we were fortunate to land him for coach Morris' first season here. It showed many what this new offensive system could do.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I think you may have qb’s scrambling to find a home in the next cycle. I have not seen a qb that has been a starter transfer to sit on the bench?  Can you give me a few examples. Thanks

Offhand, the QB from Denton (Sanders) who was at Oklahoma State. Transferred to Ole Miss and rode the bench. There were some others I will try to remember.

35 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Offhand, the QB from Denton (Sanders) who was at Oklahoma State. Transferred to Ole Miss and rode the bench. There were some others I will try to remember.

The problem these days of NIL and Portal, especially at the QB position, they're in this generation of "want it now!"   All want to be starters, now....not just on the depth chart gaining experience and building their time.  Friends and peers push them to transfer to trying another situation instead of waiting their turn.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

A stop gap QB, if we can't find a stud this year, is Grayson James of FIU. Honestly, I've never been a James fan but he lead Plano's John Paul II HS to the state championship round his junior year. Transferred to Duncanville for his senior year. He has been in the portal for sometime. I'm sure he would like to be back in the metroplex. Good size at 6-3, 235 with decent speed.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The problem these days of NIL and Portal, especially at the QB position, they're in this generation of "want it now!"   All want to be starters, now....not just on the depth chart gaining experience and building their time.  Friends and peers push them to transfer to trying another situation instead of waiting their turn.

Oddly enough, the one probably most ready to start, Arch Manning, is just fine biding his time and waiting his turn, per sources.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Oddly enough, the one probably most ready to start, Arch Manning, is just fine biding his time and waiting his turn, per sources.

He's counting his $$ while sitting, but I'm talking about most backup QBs at our level, not making NIL $.  

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Which QB are you taking?

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int

Rate

A

216 320 67.5 2403 7.5 7.5 15 7 141.7

B

201 306 65.7 2394 7.8 8.1 16 5 145.4

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Well Benjamin you are in luck 

A

Att Yds Avg TD
145 353 2.4 5

B

76 356 4.7 4

Bowden vs Dykes in play calling and quality of coaching paints a different picture In my eyes. Rogers was at his floor playing on a bad ulm. Morris seems to be at his ceiling, injury prone, and played on a decent big 12 team. What offers has Morris picked up since he entered the portal?

super bowl GIF by TurboTax

Edited by herewego
Humpty gif
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, herewego said:

Bowden vs Dykes in play calling and quality of coaching paints a different picture In my eyes. Rogers was at his floor playing on a bad ulm. Morris seems to be at his ceiling, injury prone, and played on a decent big 12 team. What offers has Morris picked up since he entered the portal?

super bowl GIF by TurboTax

He currently has offers from UNT, USC ( Southern California), USC ( South Carolina) that I know of among others. I believe Tulane and UTSA have offered as will. He is visiting UNT today. Then off to Southern Cal.  

Episode 2 Growth Spout GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He currently has offers from UNT, USC ( Southern California), USC ( South Carolina) that I know of among others. I believe Tulane and UTSA have offered as will. He is visiting UNT today. Then off to Southern Cal.  

If he's getting any type of significant nil from us I just don't think the risk/reward is worth it. If he's coming just on scholly hell yeah.

Also I've grown apprehensive of the name Morris.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It’s doubtful he will choose us over USC

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

How many head coaches have found a non recruited player in high school and developed him into a first round NFL draft pick? Morris has a lot to sell.

Who are  you referencing when you talk about finding a non recruited player in high school and developing him into a first round NFL draft pick?

• Upvote 1