Florida State officially leaving ACC?

Dannymacfan

Florida State loses 63-3 to Georgia tonight.   Georgia had nearly 700 yards of offense. 

That says a lot about FSU's team, as it was not nearly the same team that played during the first half of the season.  They lost key players due to injury and others skipping the Bowl for other reasons (NIL, Portal, NFL).   

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Florida State loses 63-3 to Georgia tonight.   Georgia had nearly 700 yards of offense. 

That says a lot about FSU's team, as it was not nearly the same team that played during the first half of the season.  They lost key players due to injury and others skipping the Bowl for other reasons (NIL, Portal, NFL).   

Yeah, tonight was FSU’s JV.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/24/2023 at 6:17 PM, Arkstfan said:

Word has been that a private equity firm is standing by to hand them the money in exchange for a percentage of revenue.

I'm not even sure if we're talking about FSU or SMU here, but either way if this is real and I was a LP in this fund I would be PISSED. I know PE is having a field day lately finding places to put money, but damn. 

1_MzqQm_K3sdO8RFibufJJBA.webp

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Kirby Smart laments FSU opt-outs after Georgia's Orange Bowl rout

"People need to see what happened tonight, and they need to fix this," Smart said, lamenting the flood of opt-outs and portal entries on teams playing in non-playoff bowl games. "It needs to be fixed. It's very unfortunate that they have a good football team and a good football program, and they're in the position they're in."....

For his part, Smart said the impact of the opt-outs was notable, and even with an expanded playoff coming next year, the bowls outside the playoff risk becoming glorified scrimmages."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39212869/kirby-smart-laments-fsu-opt-outs-georgia-orange-bowl-rout

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

*Team gets left out.
*Team complains about being left out
*Team doesn't compete in the postseason

Kinda awesome to see this happen to a P5 for once.

Are you really a P5 when you go undefeated, win your conference and don't make the four-team invitational?

By visiting Tallahassee after my son enrolled and going to some games this fall, I brought the curse of the G5 with me.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, NT80 said:

For his part, Smart said the impact of the opt-outs was notable, and even with an expanded playoff coming next year, the bowls outside the playoff risk becoming glorified scrimmages."

That's how it felt to me too. FSU didn't have the players who provided 97% of their passing yards, 88% of their rushing yards and 84% of their receptions. Has the Orange Bowl ever been more irrelevant as a capstone to a season for two high-ranked teams? If you reach a bowl game with a team that no longer exists before the opening kickoff, what is being proven in that game? Even the winning coach and previous national champion thinks there's a problem.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rcade said:

That's how it felt to me too. FSU didn't have the players who provided 97% of their passing yards, 88% of their rushing yards and 84% of their receptions. Has the Orange Bowl ever been more irrelevant as a capstone to a season for two high-ranked teams? If you reach a bowl game with a team that no longer exists before the opening kickoff, what is being proven in that game? Even the winning coach and previous national champion thinks there's a problem.

Something needs to change going forward.  Several games this Bowl season were not authentic.  As a fanbase or attendee of these games it's false advertising.  The reward of a Bowl season has been lost.  Many players now are only out for themselves and not their programs.  $$ are killing it.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Something needs to change going forward.  Several games this Bowl season were not authentic.  As a fanbase or attendee of these games it's false advertising.  The reward of a Bowl season has been lost.  Many players now are only out for themselves and not their programs.  $$ are killing it.

Maybe if a few big NIL donors start bringing lawsuits against those not playing.

If I've paid out big $'s to support a collegiate player, I expect them to play ALL games.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Maybe if a few big NIL donors start bringing lawsuits against those not playing.

If I've paid out big $'s to support a collegiate player, I expect them to play ALL games.  

I think the only way it gets fixed throughout college is by moving the bowl games up closer to the end of the season and the opening of the transfer portal back. The timing of it all has complicated things. How can you play for a team in a bowl when you're no longer with the team? I saw where Tim Beck of Coastal Carolina was entertaining allowing players to compete in the bowl even if they're in the portal but that just sounds like a mess. I'd say the portal needs to open after all bowls are over with and move the bowls closer to championship week so it feels like it's still part of the season. Smart saying they'll feel like glorified scrimmages if things continue is funny to me because they've always felt like that to me when they're so far removed from the season.

Regarding FSU having too many opt-outs, it really shows their character. I understand the occasional opt-out who's had injury issues and is nursing that but this was guys just not wanting to compete and prove themselves. They were so upset about getting left out of the 4 team playoff that they decided not to play the reigning champions 2 days before they would have played the semi-final game had they made the cut. The timing mostly the same. No reason not to play yesterday if you were willing to play tomorrow. To me it just shows they're not a championship team and the committee was right to leave them out. Georgia players were upset as well but they showed up to play even with guys like Brock Bowers out due to injury.

• Upvote 2

Well Georgia didn't seem to think the bowl game was irrelevant and they didn't seem to have transfer portal problems or key guys skipping the bowl game.

Maybe the real answer is that the ACC is not a power football conference anymore. A 60-point blowout loss is pretty hard to make excuses about. 60 points! And this blowout begs the question is it even necessary to have a playoff beyond the 8 top ranked teams from the power conferences?

I hate as much as any of you, but the reality is that 6 or 8 football programs will likely dominate the National Titles from here on unless there are changes.

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Well Georgia didn't seem to think the bowl game was irrelevant and they didn't seem to have transfer portal problems or key guys skipping the bowl game.

I think Georgia was trying to prove that they deserved to be in the CFP despite their one loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

2 hours ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Maybe the real answer is that the ACC is not a power football conference anymore. A 60-point blowout loss is pretty hard to make excuses about. 60 points!

Florida State beat the snot out of the other SEC team they played.  Conference affiliation is not the real issue here, except in the sense that it kept them out of the playoff.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I'm not even sure if we're talking about FSU or SMU here, but either way if this is real and I was a LP in this fund I would be PISSED. I know PE is having a field day lately finding places to put money, but damn. 

1_MzqQm_K3sdO8RFibufJJBA.webp

It's FSU.

I think about the great deal Chicago did with parking revenue. Did a 75 year lease and it took the equity group 13 or 14 years to make back the lump sum. 

I can just see Florida State doing a 50 year deal and within 10 realizing the investors have made their money back and the next 40 years is pure profit.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

It's FSU.

I think about the great deal Chicago did with parking revenue. Did a 75 year lease and it took the equity group 13 or 14 years to make back the lump sum. 

I can just see Florida State doing a 50 year deal and within 10 realizing the investors have made their money back and the next 40 years is pure profit.

You're telling me I might spend the final 40 years of my life with FSU fans complaining about how they don't have enough money because they're giving investors free cash?

11 hours ago, akriesman said:

I haven't watched a single bowl game yet.   Yes, they are glorified scrimmages.    The Transfer portal is killing the bowls.

I have watched a few but haven’t missed one FCS playoff game. 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:23 AM, Wag Tag said:

If other teams bolt the ACC will become AAC plus and the AAC will become Conf USA plus. We need to start visiting with the MWC now!

In this stage of college athletics, all options are on the table, every day.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2023 at 1:30 AM, meaniegreenie said:

The NCAA does not permit NIL deals to be tied to on-field performance in any way.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-bans-performance-based-nil-205541938.html

If the NCAA changed this, NIL deals might look like employment and bring a host of new issues to a complicated legal situation.

I am all for athletes getting paid but the present situation where some take the money and skip games is terrible for the sport.

• Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1