Morris Announces Hiring of Cutter Leftwich to Football Staff

UNTethered Eagle

Thoughts on our new Offensive Line coach? Have not seen anyone post about this.

"Left with joins the staff after a one-year stint at Oregon

DENTON, Texas – UNT head football coach Eric Morris has announced the hiring of Cutter Leftwich as its new Offensive Line Coach.

Leftwich comes to Denton following one season at Oregon in 2023 where he served as assistant offensive line coach. The 2023 Oregon offensive line was named as a finalist for the prestigious Joe Moore Award given annually to the nation's top unit.

Oregon's offensive line was dominant in 2023 leading the nation with just five sacks allowed, four fewer than any other FBS team. The Ducks allowed multiple sacks just once in 13 games this season while not allowing any sacks in nine games, including six of the last seven.

Tied for fourth in the FBS with just 42 tackles for loss allowed, Oregon ranks second in the nation in scoring (44.2 ppg), total offense (526.6 ypg) and passing offense (342.8 ypg), while ranking third in yards per rush (5.86).

Oregon is the top-graded pass blocking team in the nation by Pro Football Focus at 91.3, checking in as the only team above 90.0. The Ducks are also the nation's No. 2 graded rushing team by PFF at 95.0.

Leftwich also spent one season each on staff at UCLA (2022) and UTSA (2021).

A native of El Paso, he played collegiately at McNeese State from 2018-19 where he started 20 games at center. He is the son of former UNT assistant coach Spencer Leftwich, who had two stints on the Mean Green staff from 1994-02 and 2007-09.

Leftwich earned his degree from McNeese in December 2020. "

Coaching History
2021: UTSA, graduate assistant
2022: UCLA, graduate assistant
2023: Oregon, graduate assistant/assistant offensive line
2024-: UNT, offensive line.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2023/12/12/morris-announces-hiring-of-cutter-leftwich-to-football-staff

Edited by UNTethered Eagle
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

He's got three years of experience with moves up after every year. He should understand what it takes to be a coach being Spensor Leftwitch's son. He certainly looks like an OL coach! Why can so few assistant coaches ever straighten a tie?

image.png.9b5689a34d8e0ea689a5cde0d69a4e2d.png

Confused about the claim he moved up. All three positions as grad assistant. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Confused about the claim he moved up. All three positions as grad assistant. 

The way coaches use grad assistants and anyaylst can mean a lot of different things.  Many of them have have a lot of responsibilities. Shouldn't let the title mislead their actual duties.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

Doesn't seem like a bad hire at all.

It's also not a "great" hire, but what do we expect here? We don't have the budget to hire established Oline coaches (or replace a DC).

so overall, I'll take it. Good luck coach!

It is s shame that we used to but not now.

• Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well wouldn’t you agree Bloesch and Clements were established Oline coaches before coming here? @Udomannsaid we don’t have the budget to hire established Oline coaches and I’m pointing out that we have had them before now.

I disagree with the point about having the cash considering Morris is making about $1 less than SL did.  It was my understanding that he made this concession to increase the assistant coach's salary budget.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I disagree with the point about having the cash considering Morris is making about $1 less than SL did.  It was my understanding that he made this concession to increase the assistant coach's salary budget.

The only problem with Morris making less this year is that SL is still making his this year meaning we are paying 2 HCs this season so the whole cost is more. Hopefully that goes away in January after Littrell’s old contract has expired. I love Spencer Leftwich but this hire doesn’t strike me as “I am taking less so I can afford the highest caliber guys”. 

Edited by Cr1028

Lest anyone has forgotten, Cutter is the offspring of this guy.....

Spencer Leftwich - Football Coach - UTEP Miners

"He was also the O-Line coach at New Mexico State (1992-93) before enjoying two separate stints at both North Texas and Tulsa from 1994-2010. Leftwich was the offensive line coach for the Mean Green from 1994-2002 and 2007-09. In his first term at UNT, he had at least one lineman earn all-conference recognition in eight of nine years. In 2007, North Texas established school records for total offense and passing offense. In 2009, North Texas had the no. 28 rushing attack in the NCAA with 185.3 yards per game while bettering the school standard for total yards (4,904). The Mean Green also ended the campaign ranked no. 10 in sacks allowed with one per outing"

Potentially, Morris has scored a big win with this hire.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well wouldn’t you agree Bloesch and Clements were established Oline coaches before coming here? @Udomannsaid we don’t have the budget to hire established Oline coaches and I’m pointing out that we have had them before now.

Hey, don't drag me back into this. I'm just a near middle aged man who is frustrated to see his favorite sport dying and likes yelling at clouds. I'll get them darned kids off my lawn one day... (when I send them to college)

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:50 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

But as far as on the offense he has my confidence until proven wrong. 

But nothing matters until he gets staff that can build a defense that doesn’t lose games for them virtually all by themselves.  The offense could take a half step back and the defense take two steps forward and the team still might be 5-7.   I believe that a slight regression in offense after losing the most talented QB we’ve seen would doing a good job as an offensive coach.  But not only that we are losing a really good OL, WR, and RB.  So a slight regression might be considered a great offensive coaching job.  I hope Morris proves me wrong but it just doesn’t look promising right now.

• Oh Boy! 1