North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm sure all the players the Morris replaced at UIW probably didn't like him either, and then he built a roster that won multiple conference titles and a million dollar transfer QB.

It's still early. This roster is going to be filled with guys who want to be here and want to play for Morris. That's why Kinne was so successful at TX State this year. He went and got guys that actually want to play for him. This is no different IMO.

Morris had one good season at UIW. Kinne had a better season the following year without Cam Ward.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Morris had one good season at UIW. Kinne had a better season the following year without Cam Ward.

Almost like it took time for him to build his roster.....

We have way more resources here than he did at UIW. It may be another down year next year, especially if we're fielding a bunch of young players learning on the fly, but if he can use the portal well I imagine we'll be competitive.

• Upvote 6
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Almost like it took time for him to build his roster.....

We have way more resources here than he did at UIW. It may be another down year next year, especially if we're fielding a bunch of young players learning on the fly, but if he can use the portal well I imagine we'll be competitive.

So what is the excuse this year with Kinne taking a 4-8 team to 7-5? Didn’t take much time to build that roster or do we all owe Spav a big apology?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So what is the excuse this year with Kinne taking a 4-8 team to 7-5? Didn’t take much time to build that roster or do we all owe Spav a big apology?

It was beneficial that he was able to cherry pick one of the top 4 fcs teams in the country. Virtually all guys Morris recruited after HS.  That will help jump start a rebuild. Just like Austin Peay coach is doing at utep. What dykes did at TCU. I don’t know what apology we would owe spav. Since over 50 new guys were brought in. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This might be one of the dumbest takes I've seen on here in a long time.
Look at what his offense was able to do with Austin Aune under center.   Can you imagine what he could have done here with a dude like Chandler Rogers?

Just reeks of jilted lover syndrome.

Any QB can look good if the line can be consistent, which is why it was maddening they let Aune sit back there and lose us games by throwing the most boneheaded INTs and pick 6s imaginable while usually having time and a clean pocket. That is why he is a decent line coach, but a bad offensive coordinator and the least qualified person to be a QB coach (which was one of his official titles here). 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

15 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It was beneficial that he was able to cherry pick one of the top 4 fcs teams in the country. Virtually all guys Morris recruited after HS.  That will help jump start a rebuild. Just like Austin Peay coach is doing at utep. What dykes did at TCU. I don’t know what apology we would owe spav. Since over 50 new guys were brought in. 

I’m sure it was beneficial but if they were that good why didn’t Morris himself (the guy that recruited them from high school) pursue them? Or did one year with Kinne make them forget all about Morris?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sure it was beneficial but jf they were that good why didn’t Morris himself (the guy that recruited them from high school) pursue them? Or did one year with Kinne make them forget all about Morris?

This has been discussed a hundred times I feel like. I  guessing there was some hard feelings. Morris leaving after a 11 win season to go be an assistant coach. Kinne rides in on white horse. I am sure same goes for assistant coaches. I know his OC and OL coach were Morris’s guys. I’m sure there is more on staff as well. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

Thanks.  Where can one find these NIL numbers per school?

Not sure if there is a tracker anywhere.  Mostly non public type of data so would be hard to confirm.

However, multiple sources have referenced the Light The Tower collective as having raised a little over $100k.

For comparison, it has been referenced/rumored that smu is paying players $3k/month to be on the roster.  No wonder how they are 'magically' able to sign a player over some of their competitors.

Doing some quick math, 85 football players plus 15 basketball players is 100 players.  At $3k per month that is $3.6m per year.  If we want to be competitive we need roughly $3.6m per year NIL money.  It sounds like we have $100k. 

These are realities.

• Upvote 6

47 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not sure if there is a tracker anywhere.  Mostly non public type of data so would be hard to confirm.

However, multiple sources have referenced the Light The Tower collective as having raised a little over $100k.

For comparison, it has been referenced/rumored that smu is paying players $3k/month to be on the roster.  No wonder how they are 'magically' able to sign a player over some of their competitors.

Doing some quick math, 85 football players plus 15 basketball players is 100 players.  At $3k per month that is $3.6m per year.  If we want to be competitive we need roughly $3.6m per year NIL money.  It sounds like we have $100k. 

These are realities.

Thank goodness SMU is not in our conference. A lot of P5’s won’t be able to compete with SMU’s NiL.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

These are realities.

Its more than $3k/month.  Closer to $4k with escalators built in to account for inflation.

That's also just the money coming from The Boulevard Collective.  Most of the non millionaire/billionaire set (myself included) contribute to Pony Sports DTX for targeted transfers and current roster retention.  We're north of $1m annually on that front.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Its more than $3k/month.  Closer to $4k with escalators built in to account for inflation.

That's also just the money coming from The Boulevard Collective.  Most of the non millionaire/billionaire set (myself included) contribute to Pony Sports DTX for targeted transfers and current roster retention.  We're north of $1m annually on that front.

image.png.e2b336229f40da0e201652b0b7d16e3f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, SMU2006 said:

200.gif

Not really.  I just don't get the infatuation you and a few other smuT fans have with North Texas and our board.  We aren't in the same conference since you all ran away, we won't be playing each other in the future, so I don't understand why you and your cohorts keep showing up.  

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not really.  I just don't get the infatuation you and a few other smuT fans have with North Texas and our board.  We aren't in the same conference since you all ran away, we won't be playing each other in the future, so I don't understand why you and your cohorts keep showing up.  

Several posters on this board should be banned for constantly posting things about other schools, and many posts should be taken down. However, getting clicks is the name of the game, and even though this board is supposed to be about the Mean Green, clicks mean even more. I think you would be very hard-pressed to find another College Board where the people who run the board allow another school's fans to come on and post as much as is allowed here. So before you comment about my comment about clicks meaning more, think about that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Several posters on this board should be banned for constantly posting things about other schools, and many posts should be taken down. However, getting clicks is the name of the game, and even though this board is supposed to be about the Mean Green, clicks mean even more. I think you would be very hard-pressed to find another College Board where the people who run the board allow another school's fans to come on and post as much as is allowed here. So before you comment about my comment about clicks meaning more, think about that.

Sad Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

If the NCAA is prohibited from enforcing restrictions (fine with me) and the schools want some kind of restrictions then they will need to bargain with the players -- collectively -- to agree upon some kind of system. 

I've written before that some kind of compensatory system for programs that develop players is beneficial to the entire football ecosystem. Right now there is no incentive or mechanism to do that.  I can see a situation where G5 programs on down simply give up trying to play. For the players, that means fewer opportunities to play. 

• Upvote 2