Texas A&M to hire Elko from Duke

Big Z

17 hours ago, Venson said:

I didn't see this coming, but I knew it would not be Traylor.

Traylor ends up at UH. I once thought Baylor, but after spending T-giving in Waco with my out-laws, I read in the Waco Trib that they expect Arranda back and that coaches/coordinators will be sacrificed. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

Honestly I am flabbergasted that A&M would bring that kind of a reasonable hire, rather than go for the flashy name. Doesn't necessarily mean its gonna work out tough. Dealing with the donors down there is still its own kind of cluster. Then again, he at least knows that he will have the necessary NIL.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

There’s a great article by Tim Cowlishaw in today’s DMN on A&Ms hire. A few things he points out:

* In the 40 years of the SWC before WWIi, Aggie only won two SWC titles.

* In the 80 years after WWII, they had one decade of success with 7 titles between 85 and 94, but never came close to a National Championship. 

* During their time in the BigXII they had one conference championship.

* In 16 years in the SEC, they have never been very close to a conference championship. 

* Coaches cannot automatically bring success from previous schools as they will no longer have the assistants, staff, and institutional structure that supported them before. All of those things must be rebuilt and that will almost certainly take years to accomplish. 

Here's a link, but it is behind a paywall.   

https://

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

There’s a great article by Tim Cowlishaw in today’s DMN on A&Ms hire. A few things he points out:

* In the 80 years after WWII, they had one decade of success with 7 titles between 85 and 94, but never came close to a National Championship. 

* In 16 years in the SEC, they have never been very close to a conference championship. 

* Coaches cannot automatically bring success from previous schools as they will no longer have the assistants, staff, and institutional structure that supported them before. All of those things must be rebuilt and that will almost certainly take years to accomplish. 

The big difference now for A&M is unlimited NIL dollars. This is a boring hire and for kids today that matters at the P5 level.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Yeah, A&M definitely thinks they are more relevant than they are, but they did have some golden years in the early 90s, in 1992, had they beaten ND in their bowl game, they would have finished undefeated and had an argument for a National Championship.

I do like this hire, but it's a big difference coaching in Durham compared to Kyle Field

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That's why you're sitting behind a keyboard and A&M's AD gets to make the hire.  Elko is a solid hire.  Maybe not as good as Mark Stoops, but solid.

Jimbo was a solid hire. Keep doing what you have always done and keep getting the same results. That's why you are sitting behind a keyboard following me.

• Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Jimbo was a solid hire. Keep doing what you have always done and keep getting the same results. That's why you are sitting behind a keyboard following me.

The Elko hire is nothing like the Jimbo hire.  The Jimbo hire was the splashiest hire in A&M's history--exactly what you are asking for.  There's no splash with the Elko hire, but there is substance.

Not sure how you can say I'm "following you" any more than you're following me.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The big difference now for A&M is unlimited NIL dollars. This is a boring hire and for kids today that matters at the P5 level.

Yes, a no-name coach won't influence 5-star athletes to sign with A&M.  NIL $$ won't matter in the SEC anyway.  Every program has them. 

In these new Super Conferences in the SEC and Big10, winning will become even more difficult.  Programs with these huge booster bases want great seasons every year.  With the SEC bringing in Texas and OU, a coach has a shelf life of only one poor season before he is replaced.   

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That's why you're sitting behind a keyboard and A&M's AD gets to make the hire.  Elko is a solid hire.  Maybe not as good as Mark Stoops, but solid.

A$M's AD is the one who should have been fired.  He is the bonehead that gave Fisher the guaranteed 10-year deal then lets him go only 2 years into it.

• Upvote 2

The Elko hire is nothing like the Jimbo hire.  I would consider the Jimbo hire about as "splash" as you can be, and don't expect them to try that again...not for a while anyways.

This is not a "keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting the same results" move.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

A$M's AD is the one who should have been fired.  He is the bonehead that gave Fisher the guaranteed 10-year deal then lets him go only 2 years into it.

No, he argued against it but was overruled by Chancellor John Sharp and a majority of the A&M regents. Bjork wanted Fisher, but not with the crazy contract. 

Bjork isn’t getting fired now because he’s helping deflect the heat from Sharp and the Regents.