Is the "Triangle of Toughness" moving to College Station?

emmitt01

I’ve watched him and his teams since high school.  My wife’s cousin played for one of his state champ teams.  He wins with superior talent.  Like a Switzer, he’s going to out Jimmy and Joe you.  That should sound familiar as that’s what he’s done to us.  He’s not a bad coach, either.  He runs a popular scheme that kids like and want to play in, but he’s not inventing new concepts like a Briles.

At the next level, with bigger NIL resources, I’d think he’d do well.  Tamu is a tough job, though.  I wouldn’t want it, but him being an East Texas guy, that’s the pinnacle job.  It’s hard to imagine improving their recruiting, but I think he will.  He will go after top guys that want to work and not just be instagram stars.

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

if were up to WT, we'd completely abandon HS recruits.  Strictly portal/xfers.

Would like to see 60-70% transfers. Would never sign a HS qb or d lineman. Would allocate NIL $ to those 2 positions. Is Lashlee a better coach or is it because he brought in 17transfers in 22 and 23 transfers in 2023. SMU will be one of the best coaching position in college football with unlimited $$$ available.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

8 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Morris just said on the coaches show that he’s likely to sign 20 HS kid and 10-15 JUCO/TP guys this offseason. 

Pure speculation:  I’d assume those 10-15 are going to be OL, DL, and LB’s. 

I am a fan of Morris. I like that he is transparent and admits that his initial plan didn’t work like he thought. I have faith he is going to correct these issues and we will see marked improvement next year, especially on defense. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a fan of Morris. I like that he is transparent and admits that his initial plan didn’t work like he thought. I have faith he is going to correct these issues and we will see marked improvement next year, especially on defense. 

I concur.  It should not be that hard to find a competent defense after building an elite offense.  I think he is on to something special

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, aprice said:

I concur.  It should not be that hard to find a competent defense after building an elite offense.  I think he is on to something special

Was last year’s offense elite? Because the stats/results are basically the same. 

• Upvote 1

I really don't think that A&M will hire Traylor. I think the powers that be want a HC who can win with someone other than someone named Frank Harris. If Traylor does well next season without Harris, then he will start to get a lot of P5 looks. The same happened with us and Littrell without Fine. He could not prove that he could win consistently with someone other than Mason Fine.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Morris just said on the coaches show that he’s likely to sign 20 HS kid and 10-15 JUCO/TP guys this offseason. 

Pure speculation:  I’d assume those 10-15 are going to be OL, DL, and LB’s. 

I really hope he hits the portal harder than that. He only did 10 transfers this past season. 

Edited by Green Otaku

On 11/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, MCMLXXX said:

Fisher's failure to connect to high school coaches and further ignoring Dave Campbell's Texas Football are two of the reasons given for his firing. That is in addition to taking his team to away games on Thursday nights etc.   

Every year at the coaches' convention, there is a keynote panel that includes every Division I coach in the state. This year, Fisher was the only coach who didn't show. His presence was expected and his absence was not explained. That raised eyebrows across Texas.

"I just believe that if you coach in this state, you need to know when the Texas High School Coaches Association convention takes place and you need to be present," said Lee Wiginton, the head coach at Allen High School and the past president of THSCA. "Texas A&M is a prestigious program in our great state. When their head football coach doesn't attend our convention, it's simply not a good look in the eyes of the Texas high school coaches."

Fisher was the only coach in the state in recent years not to do interviews or appear on podcasts with Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine, often called the Bible of football in the state (and a publication that put Fisher on the cover when he arrived in College Station). 

Why the Jimbo Fisher experiment at Texas A&M failed spectacularly (msn.com)

And how many recruits did Fisher lose out on because he skipped that convention?

ZERO. The Texas High School Coaches Association ain’t worth a piece of dried up cow dung when you can offer a recruit unlimited NIL money. 

Maybe that convention matters to North Texas and UTSA and Rice. It don’t matter to A&M.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I don’t really see why quantity would matter at all. I just want them to go get athletes that make this team better. I don’t care where they come from.

Using this year as a measuring stick there needs to be a major overhaul, especially on defense. 10 players divided by both sides doesn't seem to suggest they think a lot needs to be changed. We've already criticized this staff for not hitting the portal hard enough this year, let's hope they don't repeat the same thing next year. 

21 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Using this year as a measuring stick there needs to be a major overhaul, especially on defense. 10 players divided by both sides doesn't seem to suggest they think a lot needs to be changed. We've already criticized this staff for not hitting the portal hard enough this year, let's hope they don't repeat the same thing next year. 

So if they think a high school recruit gives us a better chance of winning games than a portal player, you would defer to the portal just to check a box? Portal doesn’t necessarily equal better, in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

On 11/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, MCMLXXX said:

Fisher's failure to connect to high school coaches and further ignoring Dave Campbell's Texas Football are two of the reasons given for his firing. That is in addition to taking his team to away games on Thursday nights etc.   

Every year at the coaches' convention, there is a keynote panel that includes every Division I coach in the state. This year, Fisher was the only coach who didn't show. His presence was expected and his absence was not explained. That raised eyebrows across Texas.

"I just believe that if you coach in this state, you need to know when the Texas High School Coaches Association convention takes place and you need to be present," said Lee Wiginton, the head coach at Allen High School and the past president of THSCA. "Texas A&M is a prestigious program in our great state. When their head football coach doesn't attend our convention, it's simply not a good look in the eyes of the Texas high school coaches."

Fisher was the only coach in the state in recent years not to do interviews or appear on podcasts with Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine, often called the Bible of football in the state (and a publication that put Fisher on the cover when he arrived in College Station). 

Why the Jimbo Fisher experiment at Texas A&M failed spectacularly (msn.com)

It didn't seem to hurt their recruiting...Kids aren't going to care what their HS coach thinks about a program when that program's boosters are giving them a massive NIL bag. 

He's getting fired because he runs an outdated offense, couldn't win on the road, and wasn't competing for SEC titles. 

46 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I don’t know that 5 OL and 5 DL are necessarily needed. We have some talent on both sides of the ball, but a boost in size and depth is definitely needed. I also think a full offseason with Kegan’s is going to be very important for our teams as well. 

On 11/17/2023 at 10:07 PM, KingDL1 said:

I don't buy into Traylor with his pro 9 year QB.  But A&M can have him. 

I think Traylor is good enough to win without Harris. That said, he's also smart enough to see big rebuild UTSA is heading for next year with the departure of Harris and about a half dozen other key starters. He doesn't want a 5-7 season to hurt his stock. He's going to do everything he can to get out of San Antonio this season. 

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

So if they think a high school recruit gives us a better chance of winning games than a portal player, you would defer to the portal just to check a box? Portal doesn’t necessarily equal better, in my opinion.

No, if a HS recruit is the willing to come here and make an impact that would be great. The only thing I question is can UNT recruit the type of HS players that can make an immediate impact? Morris doesn't have the luxury of a long development cycle, he needs to turn this around quickly.

What I am talking about is quality transfers and Jucos that are ready to play. Linemen that have legit lineman size, we've all complained about us being undersized all year.  We've seen what SMU, UTSA, Memphis, etc., can do with the portal. It's a tool that can be a great benefit, it's not the end-all be-all, but I hope we maximize what we are able to get from it. We've seen nearly a full season of Morris' team, I think it's clear there are some major overhauls needed. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I don’t know that 5 OL and 5 DL are necessarily needed. We have some talent on both sides of the ball, but a boost in size and depth is definitely needed. I also think a full offseason with Kegan’s is going to be very important for our teams as well. 

Agreed. I just want a line that can consistently protect Rogers. If Caponi is back next year he needs the personnel to run the 3-3-5, because we've looked awful and frankly lost this year. 

10 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think Traylor is good enough to win without Harris. That said, he's also smart enough to see big rebuild UTSA is heading for next year with the departure of Harris and about a half dozen other key starters. He doesn't want a 5-7 season to hurt his stock. He's going to do everything he can to get out of San Antonio this season. 

I think he’s gone, too. Just the manner I’ve seen him answer questions regarding the A&M opening. 

Just now, Green Otaku said:

Agreed. I just want a line that can consistently protect Rogers. If Caponi is back next year he needs the personnel to run the 3-3-5, because we've looked awful and frankly lost this year. 

As excited as I was for year one of Morris, I’m even more excited to see what year two of Morris brings in regards to recruits and on field results. I’m already trying to talk my wife into a Lubbock road trip. 😎😎😎

• Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think he’s gone, too. Just the manner I’ve seen him answer questions regarding the A&M opening. 

If he leaves, that's great news for UTSA.  There's a huge buyout on his contract, and they'd be able to take that and upgrade their program.

• Lovely Take 1