Wasn’t this what we were hoping for?

3_n_out

6 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Maybe, just maybe, there’s a lot more to it than just talent level. Perhaps he wasn’t working very hard in practice, maybe he hadn’t learned the playbook well enough, maybe he wasn’t being a good team player, etc. Truth is, I have no idea. But neither do you. I feel like Eric Morris has proven his ability to recognize and develop QB’s so it seems pretty clear something was off with CR early this year.

This is exactly what I think happened.  Maybe not that Rogers did anything wrong, but maybe he didn’t step up.  Maybe he thought he was the de facto starter 1) because he transferred here and 2) he knew he was the best player.  Morris had to show Rogers what it was going to take to play QB at UNT.  There was short term pain, but the long term benefit will be worth it.

Edited by NT93
Made my opinion more clear.
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

52 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Maybe, just maybe, there’s a lot more to it than just talent level. Perhaps he wasn’t working very hard in practice, maybe he hadn’t learned the playbook well enough, maybe he wasn’t being a good team player, etc. Truth is, I have no idea. But neither do you. I feel like Eric Morris has proven his ability to recognize and develop QB’s so it seems pretty clear something was off with CR early this year.

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

This is exactly what I think happened.  Morris had to show Rogers who was in charge and what it was going to take to play QB at UNT.  There was short term pain, but the long term benefit will Be worth it.

I don't think so.  When Coach Morris picked Earle to start, he specifically said, "Chandler didn't do anything wrong."  His very clear point was that Earle played so well during camp that he couldn't do anything but give him the starting nod.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

My guess is Chandler didn't do anything wrong as we have been told but i think he is just an okay practice player.  But when the lights come on, he is a gamer.... Unfortunately, it took Earl looking bad and Morris being forced to put Rogers in, for him and us to see that once the game begins, he is a much better version than his practice self.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Good for them.

Morris has already stated how he wished he had done things differently.  Kinne cleaned house, “took back texas” and has been very successful.  Morris didn’t clean house, focused on HS kids, and has had a slower start to the season.   A 5-1 start for us would have been fantastic, but that did not happen.  It feels as though the team is trending up. Tulane is going to be a MASSIVE test on ESPN2. 

It’s early but if we address the defensive issues in the portal this offseason, I’ll be ready to get real reckless with my 2024 expectations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Good for them.

Morris has already stated how he wished he had done things differently.  Kinne cleaned house, “took back texas” and has been very successful.  Morris didn’t clean house, focused on HS kids, and has had a slower start to the season.   A 5-1 start for us would have been fantastic, but that did not happen.  It feels as though the team is trending up. Tulane is going to be a MASSIVE test on ESPN2. 

Of course, hindsight is 2020, and everyone is correct about wishing Morris would have started Rogers. The main difference between the two teams at this point, in my opinion, is they did not come out struggling on defense. These two programs will be compared quite a bit in the coming seasons.

• Lovely Take 1

Don’t the coaches have film on these guys? Not only should they have game film, but practice film and Spring practices. Did Morris and his coaches not look through them? To me, I would imagine this would be a great way to know your team. If they didn’t, this would be troubling for me. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It is still unjustifiable how CR wasnt QB1 in week 1. I dont even see the talent level even being a little close between the 2. How is that missed so badly. 

I give him a pass for week one.  But Rogers not starting game 2 made no sense.  Sometimes guys are just better in games than in practice.  But once you see the starter just isn't that great on game day you play the guy with better athletism and arm if he knows the playbook.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I give him a pass for week one.  But Rogers not starting game 2 made no sense.  Sometimes guys are just better in games than in practice.  But once you see the starter just isn't that great on game day you play the guy with better athletism and arm if he knows the playbook.

I would probably give him of a pass for week two because Rogers didn’t exactly light it up in the second half against Cal. He could have made it a lot easier on Morris if he had really rallied the offense and shown he was the guy. He didn’t: 3/7 for 10 yrds and a pick. And despite the 2 INTs, Earle did have a good completion percentage and three TDs. 

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I would wager it was a really bad evaluation effort. As another poster pointed out, when Morris named Stone the starter, he did in fact state that it was nothing Chandler did or didn't do that led him to that decision implying Morris genuinely thought Stone was "the guy." 

What value is there in doing the opposite?     

"CR really hasn't put in effort or grasped the playbook like we were all hoping, so looks like we're going with Stone behind center"

Whatever the reasons were, Stone won the job, needed to hear that he won the job and needed to feel like he won the job.   Anything short than that would make me challenge Morris' leadership.   

• Upvote 2

EVERYONE WAVE GOODBYE TO ALL THE PROGRAMS PASSING US BY!!

This isn’t unexpected. It’s no surprise. Not if you’ve been paying attention. After decades of ineptness from the President’’s Desk, the Athletic Director’s office and the BOR how could any of us expect anything different?

And no, there isn’t always next year.

Time was and is, always of the essence.   

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 8

45 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

And I’m jealous of it. I want that for us. So, I don’t know why I was getting downvoted for it. Oh well

because too many fans have penis envy of the schools that seem to get it right immediately while we perpetually sputter going 2 steps forward 3 steps back

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I would probably give him of a pass for week two because Rogers didn’t exactly light it up in the second half against Cal. He could have made it a lot easier on Morris if he had really rallied the offense and shown he was the guy. He didn’t: 3/7 for 10 yrds and a pick. And despite the 2 INTs, Earle did have a good completion percentage and three TDs. 

The game was well in hand when Rogers came in vs Cal. He was trying to lead an offense that had already tucked its tail. That is an impossible ask. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2