Calling This Before I Can Say "I Told You So"

rojomojo

We don’t know what we don’t know. This year’s team is different and we will have to see how the parts fit together. 

Replacing Tyler will be difficult and probably his productivity will be replaced by the production of a couple of guys. The most difficult piece will be his late game mojo/shot making in the clutch. 

Abu was good but not great— he lacked a consistent rebounding presence with the kind of size and length that he had. 

The sum of the new guys brought in will be good additions and make us more differentiated (more options if someone has an off night). 

New league with better overall competition and a “new” coach running the show = uncertainty. 

By mid January we as fans will have an idea of what this team is or could be. We could win the league (odds are naturally against that) or we could finish as low as 7th. 

My prediction is 3rd or 4th. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/5/2023 at 1:30 PM, rojomojo said:

I do not understand the confidence many of our fans have going into basketball season. What we accomplished last year was phenomenal, but to expect us to be anywhere near that level of success for this season is a far reach at best. I thought the status of our football team would give insight into how the men's  basketball would perform this season, but apparently not. I am not saying to give up on reaching for the stars, but don't get your hopes up too much

- We've been decimated by graduates and transfer portal action

- Haven't replaced any losses with players that are at least on par with the players we had last season

- While I respect Hodge, he's a new head coach and those can always be unpredictable heading into a new conference

- You're not battling JUST UAB or FAU for conference titles anymore... You are also playing far more established programs such as Wichita State and Memphis 

- UNT struggled last season with consistency and with an injury prone Rubin Jones, and an untrusted shooter with Matthew Stone, it's hard to see how this squad fares against improved competition 

Talk all the trash you want, but I will be coming back to this post in early December given the evidence for or against this post 

Final prediction: UNT finishes in 5th place with about 4 games above .500

did you honestly feel in posting this that you were making some sort of bold prediction that if came true would validate you as some sort of sports prognosticating expert? 

because really all you did was make a big show of taking the chalk. this is all safe. boring. 

hell, @UNTLifer's prediction of UNT winning the league, while slightly in jest and/or super biased, now that is actually bold...and I will celebrate him and his vision if/when it comes true.  

next time you chose to make a whole new thread for your opinion, could you do everyone a favor and at least make it remotely interesting? thanks, buddy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

On 10/8/2023 at 3:35 PM, rojomojo said:

I grew up a life long fan of Kansas basketball. I went to every home basketball game at Allen Fieldhouse until I was 18... I know a good basketball team when I see one

The amazing thing about this follow up quote is that is even more self aggrandizing than his original thread to talk about how much he knows! I applaud you sir well done! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

This years team will have the most talent we’ve seen in Denton in 20 years.  Tylor Perry is replaceable.  This team will be able to go down the bench and find players #6-10 with every bit as much talent as the starters.

The OP is way off here. UNT is a basketball school!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:27 AM, 2020 Sucks said:

Tylor Perry is replaceable. 

Man this is a bold statement. Dude hit absolute game changing and/or winning daggers for us over and over again in high pressure situations. Our team should be pretty good again, but Perry is a special talent. Have a feeling we’re all getting ready to witness him go off at KState this season.

• Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1

Let's try this again, except after the 20/21 season:

5 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Man this is a bold statement. Dude hit absolute game changing and/or winning daggers for us over and over again in high pressure situations. Our team should be pretty good again, but Perry Hamlet is a special talent...

... Then Perry stepped up to fill the void.

There's a void again.  Someone will step up to fill it.  I'm excited to see who it will be (Rubin?  Aaron?  One of the new guys?).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's a void again.  Someone will step up to fill it.  I'm excited to see who it will be (Rubin?  Aaron?  One of the new guys?).

That’s a good point. We’ve been very fortunate to have two of the most clutch players I’ve had the pleasure of watching in my 25 years of following UNT hoops back to back.

Just think it’s bold to assume we’ve got somebody capable of being that transformative like Perry or your example of Hamlet without having seen it. I hope we do!

I do think we have a talented roster assembled. Looks deep and versatile on paper.  Excited to see them get after it on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I thought the same think about Hamlet when is finished.  Then came Perry and I hope we can fill his spot again.  Perry is a great shooter and a standout players.  Big shoes feel but I think Hodges and company  might surprise a lot of teams.

I'd rather us have multiple go-to clutch guys on the team than a single figure every game.  It's much harder on an opposing defense.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know why, but Jason Edwards is my pick. I feel like he is just a flat our scorer and is FAST. I have so much excitement about him.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry for being a prick. We're all here to root for the Mean Green and all of you want what's best for UNT just as I do. Smaller programs on the rise like UNT needs the strongest base of die hard fans and I haven't been contributing to that fandom

Sitting behind a screen being negative and trash talking towards a bunch of grown men is a pathetic way to show my love for this school. Much of this page has been here LONG before I have been a fan (Hell I am amazed this thing started in the early 2000's.

But enough rambling. I am going to take a break from posting on this site and just focus on being a positive fan.

I am bringing 10 of my friends to the Tulsa game this weekend, so that'll be a good start for me, GMG

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

I am sorry for being a prick. We're all here to root for the Mean Green and all of you want what's best for UNT just as I do. Smaller programs on the rise like UNT needs the strongest base of die hard fans and I haven't been contributing to that fandom

Sitting behind a screen being negative and trash talking towards a bunch of grown men is a pathetic way to show my love for this school. Much of this page has been here LONG before I have been a fan (Hell I am amazed this thing started in the early 2000's.

But enough rambling. I am going to take a break from posting on this site and just focus on being a positive fan.

I am bringing 10 of my friends to the Tulsa game this weekend, so that'll be a good start for me, GMG

Nice sentiment.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Your realize many of these fans have been around long before Harry put this little slice of heaven together, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1