North Texas Week 1 Depth Chart

TheReal_jayD

15 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

not gonna lie, we look pretty small on both the O and D lines. that has me worried a bit

I don’t share that concern at all, especially the OL. Richards is probably too small for this type of DL but he is a menace on the pass rush. 
I am much more concerned with LBs and Safety depth. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Yeah, I know we are using actual weights now, but the LBs need to put on some LBs.

I am against honesty.  I doubt there are a handful of teams that list actual height.  Now instead of everyone listed 1 to 3 inches taller than actual and NT being comparable; you have to adjust for NT being actual vs exaggerated stats.

Years ago, I did a comparison of heights listed by pros recruiting with the colleges roster numbers.  The average height was overstated by the colleges by 1.5 inches. 

NT, listed actual height on the roster under Dodge I think, then went back to the old numbers.  I guess, the coaches got tired of explaining why NT couldn't recruit size like all the other teams.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

not gonna lie, we look pretty small on both the O and D lines. that has me worried a bit

OL averages 6'3" and 296 lbs.

DL goes 240, 303, 282 but a tad short. 

I think we will be fine.

LB Depth has me worried, but I like the starting three.  Brown and Wood bring a lot of experience.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

OL averages 6'3" and 296 lbs.

DL goes 240, 303, 282 but a tad short. 

I think we will be fine.

LB Depth has me worried, but I like the starting three.  Brown and Wood bring a lot of experience.

DL depth has to be playable. You can't roll 3 guys out there and expect them to perform at a high level all game. They can be in great shape, but high level play just won't be sustainable without depth that the coaching staff is comfortable rolling out there to eat up 10-15 high level reps for each position. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

DL depth has to be playable. You can't roll 3 guys out there and expect them to perform at a high level all game. They can be in great shape, but high level play just won't be sustainable without depth that the coaching staff is comfortable rolling out there to eat up 10-15 high level reps for each position. 

Jackson and Rausaw both played last  year and provide quality depth.  We will have to see with Alobwede at the other DE.  Moore arrives as a highly sought after DT, Johnson and Roach (if healthy) both played last year and provide depth and Green arrives from the JUCO ranks having produced 45 tackles, 19 TFL and 10 sacks last year.  I like the first 5 or 6, after that we will have to see.

• Upvote 3

I’m glad to see Adaway at the top of the RB list.  I love our running backs and think they’re great, but Oscar just seems on a little bit different level.  Ashton referenced this on Barber Shop podcast and I completely agree.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Jackson and Rausaw both played last  year and provide quality depth.  We will have to see with Alobwede at the other DE.  Moore arrives as a highly sought after DT, Johnson and Roach (if healthy) both played last year and provide depth and Green arrives from the JUCO ranks having produced 45 tackles, 19 TFL and 10 sacks last year.  I like the first 5 or 6, after that we will have to see.

If you like 6 and those 6 can stay relatively healthy and our sam LB  can help protect the edge while the buck/star safety has the ability to play downhill we'll be aight. But a 6 man rotation in a 3 man front is pretty good, of which 4 of those guys can be interchangeable given certain circumstances. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am against honesty.  I doubt there are a handful of teams that list actual height.  Now instead of everyone listed 1 to 3 inches taller than actual and NT being comparable; you have to adjust for NT being actual vs exaggerated stats.

Years ago, I did a comparison of heights listed by pros recruiting with the colleges roster numbers.  The average height was overstated by the colleges by 1.5 inches. 

NT, listed actual height on the roster under Dodge I think, then went back to the old numbers.  I guess, the coaches got tired of explaining why NT couldn't recruit size like all the other teams.  

I am all for listing actual weights and heights. Keeps the poachers doubting come transfer portal time. Folks will go: he looks like he can play... but at 5-11 can he really translate to the SEC/Big12? They might still pull the trigger on the really great ones. But it might work every once in a while. Heck, I might even consider taking off an inch and 5 pounds on everyone. Also: much funnier to beat a team when they are supposedly 5 inches taller on average.

Once they reach their senior year, you adjust the heights and weights, to an inch above reality, so potential NFLers don't get shafted.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1