4 teams from AAC agree to leave?

If the AAC devolves it's because the majority of current AAC schools have an agreement to join the PAC schools. I don't know what makes y'all think UNT would be out of the mix. If travel is a concern, you're not cutting out one of the geographical closest schools to the PAC 4. Charlotte, FAU, Temple are all at risk here but I doubt any of the Texas schools are.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Let me think. 🤔

SMU, Memphis, UTSA, Tulane. 

The PAC doesn’t want or need any of the other schools  

Can we say Sun Belt……we’re back  

I can’t imagine Stanford and Cal saying the conference needs school with history and academic pedigree, then agreeing to bring in UTSA. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

One way to interpret this:

You get a commitment from these 4 schools, basically as leverage to get the remaining AAC schools to vote to dissolve and join the PAC

This makes me wonder if there were some AAC schools that did not want a PAC/AAC merger?

Aresco wants everyone on board, and needed something that could force their hand.

Worst case scenario: Memphis, Tulane and two others (from SMU, Rice, USF) drop the AAC, leave us in the dust, and merge with the PAC4 along with 4 from the MWC.

Was really hoping to enjoy this Aresco-led AAC (with or without PAC4) for 5-10 years, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

My best guess is SMU is the ringleader on this cabal. As posted prior SMU, Memphis, UTSA, Tulane would in essence be the traitors on this deal.   Where would we be if they dismantle the conference?  Personally I would say the Sun Belt would be the best landing spot as we could replace UTSA with Texas State.  Any thoughts on this?

I'd rather poach the MWC.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Whatever is happening and wherever it is happening, our president and AD need to be there yesterday. If just to be able to tell smu's administrators to stfu. But also to learn information and jockey UNT into position. 

Have our administrators EVER shown themselves to proactive, creative, committed, knowledgeable and capable of building a strong Athletic program. NO! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

One way to interpret this:

You get a commitment from these 4 schools, basically as leverage to get the remaining AAC schools to vote to dissolve and join the PAC

This makes me wonder if there were some AAC schools that did not want a PAC/AAC merger?

Aresco wants everyone on board, and needed something that could force their hand.

Worst case scenario: Memphis, Tulane and two others (from SMU, Rice, USF) drop the AAC, leave us in the dust, and merge with the PAC4 along with 4 from the MWC.

Was really hoping to enjoy this Aresco-led AAC (with or without PAC4) for 5-10 years, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

I could see it being a leverage play to get schools to accept a steeper unequal revenue share in the PAAC merger, so that the PAC4 get enough to sign on the line.

Several of the newly arrived schools - UNT included - might balk at the idea of unequal revenue sharing if it gets enshrined long term rather than -as it currently is- being on a schedule where they eventually catch up to equal parts.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Until proven otherwise.....I trust Mr. Aresco. I think he's a great commissioner. 

And I'm no lawyer....but if Aresco was working with some AAC schools to join the PAC whatever...and that he would be Commish of that.....I would think you'd have major lawsuit possibilities. 

So I think we're all right.

Not saying he would but it would be a great opportunity for him. Even should the four PAC schools bail at some point he would still have the MWC schools to back fill with and the buyouts would be reduced. 

Anything’s goes in this new world. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Not saying he would but it would be a great opportunity for him. Even should the four PAC schools bail at some point he would still have the MWC schools to back fill with and the buyouts would be reduced. 

Anything’s goes in this new world. 

If he does become PAC commissioner and one day  the 4-PAC leave maybe he would call on us?

Maybe we will have a strong winning football program at that time while not losing any ground with our basketball program. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Have our administrators EVER shown themselves to proactive, creative, committed, knowledgeable and capable of building a strong Athletic program. NO! 

I do feel like Jared and his staff have really gone  to bat for us unlike any prior regime has.  So let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Upvote 2

So Jim Williams says it's highly unlikely. There's no media contract right now for grant of rights, so there's nothing really to agree to join. Also that Luck was brought in on Thursday and it's now only Tuesday. He was at FAU yesterday, so not a lot of time for the kind of meetings that would need to take place.

His 100% guess is, if the rumor is authentic in any way, that schools who previously applied for membership were told they would be considered when/if there's a media deal/conference to join.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Aresco is doing a poor job of representing the conference if the best solution is “take four teams with me and be the commissioner of a new conference.”  I have a hard time believing this is true.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

Aresco isn’t doing a poor job of representing the conference if the best solution is “take four teams with me and be the commissioner of a new conference.”  I have a hard time believing this is true.

Well, I can understand. But I’ve been around a long time and I have learned over those years that anything can happen even if it makes no sense or even if it seems wrong. Especially in these latter days. 

I know everyone on this board is hoping that it turns out well for our MeanGreen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wonder what he means by "get the majority of the schools to merge with the PAC."  Don't all of us want to merge with the PAC or are there some that don't?  If there are some that don't, that's their choice.  If it's an open offer to all, I assume we're a yes and I'd be fine with this.  If it's a limited offer to certain schools up to a number, then that may be a problem.   

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Whatever is happening and wherever it is happening, our president and AD need to be there yesterday. If just to be able to tell smu's administrators to stfu. But also to learn information and jockey UNT into position. 

I catch an eyeroll because you know our administrators ain't doin shit except waiting by the phone. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

This guy has no real knowledge.  He just guesses something new each day.

I have no idea why some people are taking him seriously, much less acting like he is Nostradamus.   Go read his timeline, he throws up a lot of noise, some of it is really, really off.  The stuff he is getting right is the stuff other more established (actually connected) writers already had out. 

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Yeah, but not a bad guess. Some of us have been thinking the same thing. 

I was thinking the SEC was getting tired of all the aTm yell practices and is going to swap them out for us.  Quick someone throw that on twitter. 

42 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I really like Jim and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

His track record is worse than this guy. 

Look folks, there are a handful of people who put out tweets that are usually on target.  Even then, remember how they get thier information.  They don't work for the NSA, they aren't sending in microphone equipped CIA cats to listen in on the SEC meetings, they get info by having connections.

And those connections always have a bias. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Careful with MHver3 because they have been all over the place with their information and predictions. 

The AAC exit fee is $10M with a 27 month waiting period. PAC4 can’t wait 27 months because they need a new TV deal ASAP. Because of this, the PAC4 don’t have the leverage to just poach schools which is why a full merger makes the most sense. 

The only way to avoid the $10M fee and 27 month waiting period is if the AAC outright dissolves. For that to happen, 11 out of 14 AAC schools would need to vote YES to dissolve. I'm guessing the 4 AAC schools ready to jump are... SMU, Tulane, USF, & Memphis.

That leaves 7 other schools needing to vote YES to pull this off.  As long as the CUSA6 hold the line together, they can kill any attempt to dissolve the conference. I swear to God, CUSA6 hold the effing line! 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1