My Prediction For Starting QB. (It Has Changed)

TheReal_jayD

I have changed my prediction. The more info I can gather. I am leaning to Stone Earle being the Starting QB when Cal comes to DATCU Stadium. This is not insider info. This is just gathering info from several different angles.  I don't think it is anything bad that the other two have done. I think Stone just continues to make plays. I know Morris and Co. were super intrigued with Stone running ability when they arrived on campus. The plan was to have a package for him even if he wasn't the starter. But his passing has continued to improve since Morris arrived on campus. This could be because he has a legit QB coach for the first time in a couple years. 

UNT 52, FIU 14

We need to remember that this is not his first starting job in college. He was the starter at ACU prior to coming to North Texas and had success. Played in nine games with eight starts during the 2021 season Started first seven games of 2021 season before suffering injury. Passed for 1,216 yards and 13 touchdowns with only four interceptions. Rushed for 120 yards and two scores. Played in two games in 2020 and preserved his redshirt. He completed 19-of-31 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown against Virginia in first career start. Here are highlights from his first career start. His first career start at ACU was against a P5 school. Could his first start at North Texas be against “P5” Cal?

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Hey can I copy your homework? Yeah just make sure it looks different so they know it isn't the same:

Honestly have no idea. Just a gut feeling. I also thought Dajon Williams was gonna lead us to the promised land so there's that.

Out of my sources that have led me to this conclusion. Your were the main one. 

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marty said:

You may be right. Lots of praise for Stone:

I was noticing the same thing in a previous press conference.  Not sure if this is a "where there's smoke, there's fire" thing, if it's trying to light a fire under another guy he's leaning towards starting, or if it's a smokescreen to hide who he's known he's going to start.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit, I hadn't bothered to watch Earle highlights at ACU. That video is more impressive than the Rodgers vs Texas video, IMO. Granted the Texas team Rodgers faced was better than the Virginia team Earle faced but you're also looking at FCS vs FBS and a freshman playing in his first game. He looked loose like he had nothing to lose. That's the type of play I'd like to see this fall for UNT. It's what made Fine so great. I'd be happy to see Earle at starting QB this fall. My only question is does he have the arm to punish blown coverages down field? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have changed my prediction. The more info I can gather. I am leaning to Stone Earle being the Starting QB when Cal comes to DATCU Stadium. This is not insider info. This is just gathering info from several different angles.  I don't think it is anything bad that the other two have done. I think Stone just continues to make plays. I know Morris and Co. were super intrigued with Stone running ability when they arrived on campus. The plan was to have a package for him even if he wasn't the starter. But his passing has continued to improve since Morris arrived on campus. This could be because he has a legit QB coach for the first time in a couple years. 

UNT 52, FIU 14

We need to remember that this is not his first starting job in college. He was the starter at ACU prior to coming to North Texas and had success. Played in nine games with eight starts during the 2021 season Started first seven games of 2021 season before suffering injury. Passed for 1,216 yards and 13 touchdowns with only four interceptions. Rushed for 120 yards and two scores. Played in two games in 2020 and preserved his redshirt. He completed 19-of-31 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown against Virginia in first career start. Here are highlights from his first career start. His first career start at ACU was against a P5 school. Could his first start at North Texas be against “P5” Cal?

I watched this and am wondering what is up.

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

UNT 52, FIU 14

I have full faith in Coach Morris and his staff making this decision and I have zero personal preference. 

But I'm also going to be the killjoy and say averaging 150 ppg and 15 yards rushing per game in today's college football is pretty pedestrian. Whoever gets the job has to make some plays down the field each game. Or we are going to be easier to defend. 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I have full faith in Coach Morris and his staff making this decision and I have zero personal preference. 

But I'm also going to be the killjoy and say averaging 150 ppg and 15 yards rushing per game in today's college football is pretty pedestrian. Whoever gets the job has to make some plays down the field each game. Or we are going to be easier to defend. 

150 yards passing in half a game for a freshman's first career start against a P5 while playing at an FCS seems pretty good. He was pulled with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, I'm assuming due to the game being well out of reach. He then had 1200 yards passing in 7 games the following season which was his redshirt freshman year.

Fine had about 1570 passing yards in the better part of 9 games his freshman year. Not saying Earle will follow the same trajectory but for a freshman, his overall numbers were fairly good. That said, I do think it's fair to mention 6 of his TD passes were in one game against Louisiana College so those numbers are a bit skewed.

I agree with you about needing to make plays down field. That's my big trepidation about Earle.

• Thanks 1

I am very interested to see how this plays out. My guess was Rogers based on his time at ULM. However, Morris and Brophy have a vision for the offense. It sounds like Earle is moving the chains in practice with every group.

In the event the named starter struggles against Cal,our schedule is back loaded. So we will have a few weeks in the schedule (La Tech, FIU, and ACU) to work out some of the kinks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'll admit, I hadn't bothered to watch Earle highlights at ACU. That video is more impressive than the Rodgers vs Texas video, IMO. Granted the Texas team Rodgers faced was better than the Virginia team Earle faced but you're also looking at FCS vs FBS and a freshman playing in his first game. He looked loose like he had nothing to lose. That's the type of play I'd like to see this fall for UNT. It's what made Fine so great. I'd be happy to see Earle at starting QB this fall. My only question is does he have the arm to punish blown coverages down field? 

Yep, he's got a little swagger about him and that is a good thing when you are a D1 QB.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm not sure who will be named the starter, but I can almost guarantee that the backup will be the most popular guy with the fan base if we don't play well.

If it is Earle, I really hope he balls out bc if not, the cry for Rogers is going to be LOUD. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 1

My two cents on the quarterbacks-

We're basically going to have two types of games this year, games where we can run the ball and games that the other team holds our running backs in check. The games we can run the ball the quarterback can go 13-20 for 150 yards and we'll be okay. When we can't run the ball don't expect the quarterback to toss the ball around. Ward had 5 games over 300 yards last year and they went 2-3. Both of those wins were against lousy teams. I just don't think this kind of offense is going to light up the passing game. We averaged 460 yds a games last year. WSU averaged 360 yards.

WSU also held the opponent under 25 pts a game in nine games. We did it four times. 

Which means the quarterback needs to make plays with his legs. To me the perfect game with any of these quarterbacks is about 200-240 yards passing and at least 40 yards rushing. 

Morris may be from the Leach tree but don't expect that this year. Expect a pretty patient offense no matter who is the quarterback. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5