GOMEANGREEN Postional Breakdown: Linebackers

I see Wood at WLB, Kropp at MLB, and Brown at SLB. From what I have read across multiple publications, others seem to agree on the three even though some had them in different spots.  In addition, I think Wesloski will be the back-up WLB and get reps. They will need some rotation with the front 6. I also think thee will be some packages run in certain situations that will allow for a a rush end or even a dime coverage with an extra DB. I like the odd stack for its versatility. Especially playing an option team like Navy, they need to be able to adjust. My biggest question is do we have a NG that can take on two in the middle.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Okiefan said:

I see Wood at WLB, Kropp at MLB, and Brown at SLB. From what I have read across multiple publications, others seem to agree on the three even though some had them in different spots.  In addition, I think Wesloski will be the back-up WLB and get reps. They will need some rotation with the front 6. I also think thee will be some packages run in certain situations that will allow for a a rush end or even a dime coverage with an extra DB. I like the odd stack for its versatility. Especially playing an option team like Navy, they need to be able to adjust. My biggest question is do we have a NG that can take on two in the middle.

When we had the right DB's (Hall/Brooks), Reffett's 3-3-5 was humming at times, just inconsistent. Hopefully Caponi's version is more solid and less boom or bust

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Iowa D the MLB is really a stand up off the line, d lineman. I had thought we might see M Richards move to the position at 6’1” 240lbs.

From what I have been told about the 3/3/5 Iowa State scheme, the MLB is dedicated to stopping the run (tackle to tackle) and fitting the opposite A/B gap from the NG responsibility. SLB will be at the hash on trip formations and dedicated to playing in space in most situations. WLB will be 1/2 box and 1/2 weak side hash to flat coverage depending on coverage calls.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Curious about the projections of Van Zandt and Leota at LB as well.  Love hearing how Wesloski is developing and Moore's potential to contribute as a freshman.  I would hope Brown and Garnett have the ability to contribute immediately being JUCO additions and aren't just depth adds.  Also, really curious to see how Fann contributes, if any, as a freshman.  I think he has a huge upside.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Curious about the projections of Van Zandt and Leota at LB as well.  Love hearing how Wesloski is developing and Moore's potential to contribute as a freshman.  I would hope Brown and Garnett have the ability to contribute immediately being JUCO additions and aren't just depth adds.  Also, really curious to see how Fann contributes, if any, as a freshman.  I think he has a huge upside.

I think that Leota has to learn the techniques and assignments needed at the LB position as he has been a pure edge rusher but has the athletic ability to contribute for sure. I expect him to be a package guy on pure passing downs off the edge. I haven't heard much of anything about Van Zandt as he didn't even get reps at the spring game. Maybe that knee injury was more significant then reported.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster

He'd have to get on the roster first....

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I saw recently that KD Davis is returning for his last year.  So I'd guess that it will be KD in the middle flanked by Brown and Wood.  Strong first unit.  The battle now is who will be on the second unit.  I'm thinking that Fann and Leota are likely to be two of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He's already played 5 years.  He never took a redshirt.  Even with the COVID year, his eligibility is done.

My bad.  You are right.   Although I saw it recently I didn't check the original date.  I believe now that it was a reposting of last year's thread.

• Upvote 1

I was reasonably sure that Blake Fann wasn't going anywhere.  I could be wrong but I saw that there was a picture of Blake signing some type of document.  True walkons don't sign anything they just show up.  There could only be three reasons that he could be signing anything I reasoned.  1) He was a preferred walkon signing a document guaranteeing him a scholarship next year, 2)  He was signing for a scholastic scholarship that he qualified for which he will use his freshman year, or 3) He was receiving NIL money to cover the cost of his first year and will receive a scholarship his sophomore year.

• Upvote 2

On 7/26/2023 at 6:27 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

Fann will join the team once school begins. 

I think that kid has huge upside. With all the question marks at LB, I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered a Scholly by the end of the year. Just a feeling, though. 

• Upvote 2