UNT Men’s Basketball: American Schedule Pairings Announced

RVING, Texas – The American Athletic Conference announced the pairings for the 2023-24 men’s basketball season on Thursday.

UNT will play 18 total regular season conference games and play every team in the league at least once. The reigning NIT champions will play UAB, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, SMU and Tulane twice — home and away. 

The Mean Green will only play Memphis, South Florida, Temple and UTSA at home and they will only play Charlotte, Rice, Tulsa and Wichita State on the road. 

The complete 2023-24 men’s basketball composite schedule with dates and times will be announced at a later date. The first conference play dates will be January, 2-4, 2024 and will run through March 10. The 2024 American Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Championship will expand to a 14-team tournament and be held at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas, March 13-17.

Home/Away

UAB

East Carolina

Florida Atlantic

SMU

Tulane

Only Home

Memphis

South Florida

Temple

UTSA

Only Away

Charlotte

Rice

Tulsa

Wichita State

North Texas has won a championship trophy in each of its last four seasons, including the 2023 NIT title last year. The Mean Green won a conference championship in three of its final four seasons in Conference USA. Longtime associate head coach Ross Hodge was elevated to head coach following last season.

North Texas Athletics moved to the American on July 1.

Season tickets for the 2023-24 Mean Green men and women's basketball teams are available now at www.meangreentickets.com. Tickets start as low as $99 for men's and $75 for women's basketball. For more information on tickets, contact the Mean Green Ticket Office at 940-565-2527 or at ticketoffice@unt.edu. Fans can visit the UNT Athletics Ticket Office located at Gate 2 of Apogee Stadium between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

As an aside, I wonder why did we not get UTSA, Rice and SMU all as home and away?  I mean all three of us are in Texas and it would allow for bus rides instead of the team charter.

We do have SMU twice—probably because of proximity. 

I wonder if the others have to do with strength of schedule for the teams that are projected to be at the top? Beating Rice and UTSA twice doesn’t do much for our strength of schedule. Beating FAU, UAB, and Tulane will likely provide some higher quad wins.

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, MrAlien said:

probably the toughest conference schedule in a while... 3 schools finished 22/23 in quad 1 (along with UNT), 4 more schools in quad 2. 

Take care of business and this is the schedule needed to get an at-large bid if we don't win the conference tournament. Love it. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

For sure. Nobody knows how this season will go but on paper this roster is as deep as we've had in a few years. Really looking like we made another great basketball hire.

oh i know, just joking, but i do have faith that we can and will be just as good!

• Upvote 2

On 7/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, MeanGreenGlory said:

We do have SMU twice—probably because of proximity. 

I wonder if the others have to do with strength of schedule for the teams that are projected to be at the top? Beating Rice and UTSA twice doesn’t do much for our strength of schedule. Beating FAU, UAB, and Tulane will likely provide some higher quad wins.

There are no quads with 14 teams.  If there were sixteen we could have four quads and schedule the closest teams twice but would have two teams that we couldn't schedule in the same year.

• Upvote 1

Not to be too critical, because I think this is a great schedule, but couldn't we switch UTSA to away only and Wichita State to home only.  

For years our fans have complained that we play too many JUCO's and D2 opponents at home and I'd love replace one of them with Wichita State.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

looking at the all the conference teams, the top 4 teams (FAU, Memphis, UAB, and UNT) do play a lot of home and away games, which is what you want if you are trying to push a multi bid conference.  Memphis and UNT only play once, however they both play SMU twice, which will really push the DFW media market.  I really think the AAC did a good job putting the schedule together.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I need a fat raise to account for all of the road/weekend trips I'd love to make to support the Green in a better conference these next several years... I love checking out other schools' venues.

I went to the Rice game in Houston last season. Don't know which days of the week the conference games will mostly fall on, but there could be road trips to Tulsa, Birmingham, New Orleans, and Wichita if @ Tulsa/UAB/Tulane/Wichita State fall on Saturdays.

Definitely plan on going to the SMU game in Dallas, as long as it's not a weekday 6 p.m. TV start since I'm over here in Fort Worth. Would love to make it an atmosphere similar to UTA last season where the home team Mavericks were getting booed as they entered the court. 😂

I hope the AAC was taking notes when UNT and UAB squared off last year. Even without TP and Jelly, this could be a big rivalry that takes the place of LA Tech as long as both schools stay competitive, which both seem poised to do this year. Our two games need to be flexed to prime time on linear ESPN, whether it's the anchor, ESPN2, or the U. Same with our home game with SMU, which better feature a packed lower bowl.

• Upvote 1