Would it be better not to announce our commits on this board?

untcampbell

In the olden days, we found out about commits by newspaper (used today mostly to line bird cages and wrap fish).

But posted on an online message board, a commitment announcement becomes a triggering event for the fragile and insecure, very upsetting somehow. Or a trolling opportunity.

Griping about the quality of offers or that the commit will likely end up somewhere else. Prospect, family and hometown fans must really appreciate the warm welcome. Not helping the cause, IMHO.

And the same folks that complain about lack of offers will "I told you so" when the P5s offer, and the commit goes elsewhere.

Seeing a commitment announcement should make a fan happy. Be joyful. Trust your coaches and recruiters. If a commit later decides to go elsewhere, fair game to erupt (sad that you feel you have to express your pain on a message board, but fair game). But at least your school was given a shot. We had a chance.

Isn't a commitment, win or lose, better than losing an offered recruit who never committed, to one of the 20 P5's on his offer list? Nah.

Flame on.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 1

This is a discussion board, a better solution for those easily offended is to stay off the public internet. 

I am not for putting anyone down, but if a player can't mentally handle an ill advised fan response than I suspect he is going to have a problem with not only other players but with his coaches.   

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

It's fine to keep posting them. We're not going to let one immature student from out of state derail the threads. He's missing his home state (this time it's Kansas a few months ago it was NY) and lashing out at the fan base for attention. It's like dealing with a toddler. Something doesn't go their way, so they display an outlandish behavior to get attention.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Thanks 1

It's fine announcing football commitments on this board. I just figure some are committed till they commit somewhere else.

I'll be excited when they actually sign in December which if your "committed" you'll sign in the early period.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Isn't a commitment, win or lose, better than losing an offered recruit who never committed, to one of the 20 P5's on his offer list? Nah.

I would argue that a decommit could be worse than a guy never committing in the first place because the coaches will have to now reopen the process for that scholarship and position group to find a replacement.

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Darrell Dickey didn’t announce commitments.  “Stealth” recruiting, I think we called it.  

There may be something to that.  No announcement, no notice to fans, therefore, no posting on GMG, and less attention paid by opposing coaches.

Twitter wasn’t a thing when Dickey was here. These days usually the first one to announce is the recruit through twitter.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

It's fine to keep posting them. We're not going to let one immature student from out of state derail the threads. He's missing his home state (this time it's Kansas a few months ago it was NY) and lashing out at the fan base for attention. It's like dealing with a toddler. Something doesn't go their way, so they display an outlandish behavior to get attention.

So what exactly was said?  Why is this even a topic?

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I think this question does two things:

1- it overvalues the quality of our opinions

2- it overvalues how much a recruit and their family care about our opinions

You may be right on your first point, but are you sure about the second?  Are you a recruit or the family of a recruit?  We all know that recruits, players, and families of both read this board.  Why would they read it if they don't care what anyone here says?  And I seem to recall multiple incidents of families getting upset because of what people have posted here.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, in a world of censorship let's censor more. 

People have rights to their opinions. If urban planner boy thinks we should be taking recruits away from ATM and UT then that is his opinion. A misguided and terrible one, but his opinion. And he's entitled to it. 

Let's just leave well enough alone. Message boards aren't always for rainbows and butterflies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untcampbell said:

Reasonable debate. I'd like to get opinions from players family to confirm. That said, every single commit thread these days gets derailed along the lines discussed. Same thing on Twitter threads, which is a bit more publicly accessible.

GMG

Some recruitment threads with unfriendly takes are sometimes warranted. A 245lb DT with offers from Savannah State and UNT requires questioning. Sure, this metaphorical recruit might have popped out to one of our recruiters and could work out as a project kid. But when UNT starts to systemically recruit these players then it needs questioning. It must receive questioning. 

The couple bad takes on this current QB commit are just bad takes. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

38 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Why would they read it if they don't care what anyone here says?

My guess would be idle curiosity mostly. I’m not saying they don’t care. I just don’t think they care as much as we often think they do. It’s kind of like the 1-star Google review in a sea of 4’s and 5’s. I may note it, but I’m going to keep on moving.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 7/15/2023 at 10:11 AM, Rudy said:

Keep posting them as a source of news for us, but maybe either turn off the comments, or the mods go through and delete inappropriate comments.

I'm good with commitments. Posting offers, not so much as you end up with pages of players who might never be considering UNT.

The days of flying under the radar are long gone.  There are other sources available, predominately 247, that have commits, decommits, offers, transfers and other info by each FBS team...so we aren't revealing anything that's not already known.

Edited by GrayEagle