The Pac-12's media rights negotiations are "not going very well," CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee told FOS.

Sallee on impending conference realignment: We’re gonna see a lot of movement since the Pac-12 media rights deal is sort of all over the place — we’ve seen Apple kinda go away, we’ve seen the CW kind of go. The Pac-12’s a big-time mess right now, due in large part to Larry Scott, the former commissioner who really sent this whole thing into a spiral 10 years ago. 

I think that has opened the door for other conferences to go fishing. … If the Pac-12 media rights deals fall apart or just aren’t very attractive to some schools that might be willing to leave or want to leave, then the Big 12 might start making some moves. Then you’re gonna see the Pac 12 make some moves [and] the Mountain West probably make some moves.

read more:  https://frontofficesports.com/next-wave-of-realignment-hinges-on-pac-12-says-cbs-sports-analyst/

• Upvote 4

Everything is hinging on these numbers. There have been articles on going both ways on the Pac12 deal, so read everything with a good deal of speculation. From the outside we can guess that the deals are not going well since the deadline has been pushed back several times, the reports of media companies like ESPN/Fox/CBS/NBC not being interested, and the rumors of schools having talks with other conferences.  It's our best educated guess right now, but it is still a guess. Everything might work out for the PAC in the end or it could fall apart. If this deal is $25M or below I think we see a real chance some teams move. 

Taking my rational hat off now. One crazy theory I thought about that I don't think anyone is talking about is: is the PAC delaying the announcement on purpose to try and trap teams? Let's say the deal is in the low $20Ms range, are they trying to push this thing out past a theoretical point of no return so it's not feasible for teams to move? 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Of all the conferences that I thought would fold, the PAC was nearly last on the list.

Couldn't even imagine this when I was a kid.

Not saying I would have predicted this but there have been cracks. UO and UW coming down a peg. Stanford, UCLA and Cal attendance not being good. The disaster of Larry Scott and PAC network. UA and ASU not a factor at all. The title game doesn’t even register nationally. 

Still, you’d think their history and location would have protected them. Then the B1G wrecked that. 

I think the PAC is in really bad shape. Maybe not today or tomorrow but in the next ten years. In a rational world they’d reconfigure as an academic/athletic conference that has realistic expectations. But you can’t do that in these times, just like G5 will never break off until they are forced to. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

I think the PAC is in really bad shape. Maybe not today or tomorrow but in the next ten years. In a rational world they’d reconfigure as an academic/athletic conference that has realistic expectations. But you can’t do that in these times, just like G5 will never break off until they are forced to. 

Agree.  The PAC is not pro-active enough to keep from wrecking itself.  Their Presidents want academics, their ADs want power programs for media, their geography prohibits finding both.  The vultures are circling. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Of all the conferences that I thought would fold, the PAC was nearly last on the list.

Couldn't even imagine this when I was a kid.

The Big10 caused some major chaos. Out of all the possible realignment scenarios I don't think anyone would have guessed that the Big10 taking UCLA/USC would ever be possible. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think they still work out some streaming deal that will get money; it just won't generate viewers.

If you can't generate views you're on borrowed time. Once rating/streaming data comes out it will slowly chip away at the conference until it loses all the prestige it once had. Look at how the ACC had been viewed as the bottom of P5 for so many years, and how that has affected recruiting/fan interest. If it hadn't been for Clemson, it'd be even worse. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

If you can't generate views you're on borrowed time. Once rating/streaming data comes out it will slowly chip away at the conference until it loses all the prestige it once had. Look at how the ACC had been viewed as the bottom of P5 for so many years, and how that has affected recruiting/fan interest. If it hadn't been for Clemson, it'd be even worse. 

The ACC is also on borrowed time.  As soon as the door opens on their grant of rights restriction the SEC will take up to 3 schools and the Big10 may take a couple too.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The ACC is also on borrowed time.  As soon as the door opens on their grant of rights restriction the SEC will take up to 3 schools and the Big10 may take a couple too.

Very possible, but at least they have viable replacements that make geographic sense. Memphis, USF, Tulane, and whoever of the rest of the AAC stands out in the next decade. We better be ready to make noise, as this could be the last ticket out of G5. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Very possible, but at least they have viable replacements that make geographic sense. Memphis, USF, Tulane, and whoever of the rest of the AAC stands out in the next decade. We better be ready to make noise, as this could be the last ticket out of G5. 

Predictions sure to be wrong
At some point, what's left of the PAC gets taken in by the BIG 10 and Big 12, with the two or three leftovers joining the MWC or going independent. When the ACC deal is up, I could see the top teams being taken in by the Big 10 and SEC. The remaining probably merge with the Big 12, forming three "Big" conferences. I would be surprised to see any more G5s moving up (outside possible Pac 10 panic ads). 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Predictions sure to be wrong
At some point, what's left of the PAC gets taken in by the BIG 10 and Big 12, with the two or three leftovers joining the MWC or going independent. When the ACC deal is up, I could see the top teams being taken in by the Big 10 and SEC. The remaining probably merge with the Big 12, forming three "Big" conferences. I would be surprised to see any more G5s moving up (outside possible Pac 10 panic ads). 

I'll raise you two crazy pills.

What's left of the Pac (WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford (?)) gets added to the AAC. Pac ceases to exist as a conference. AAC potentially also adds some combination of CSU, AFA, SDSU, Fresno State, and Boise State.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I'll raise you two crazy pills.

What's left of the Pac (WSU, OSU, Cal, Stanford (?)) gets added to the AAC. Pac ceases to exist as a conference. AAC potentially also adds some combination of CSU, AFA, SDSU, Fresno State, and Boise State.

All the main players turn into four large conferences only for it all to fall apart ten years later and everybody ends up back where they started. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

All the main players turn into four large conferences only for it all to fall apart ten years later and everybody ends up back where they started. 

Yes, many of these super powers will soon fail to win even 8 games in a season because of the new level of competition.  Their fans will first demand a change of head coach.  Then when it happens again they will realize what they have gotten their programs into.   They used to dominate their lessor P5 opponents every year, but not anymore.

• Upvote 2

You have to stop reading this stuff. There's two dozen articles every week by generic sports writers that either say everything is amazing and great, or doomed and chaos. They are all BS.  A handful of people know what is happening, none of them are out talking to journalists. 

It's pure wait and see.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

20 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

You have to stop reading this stuff. There's two dozen articles every week by generic sports writers that either say everything is amazing and great, or doomed and chaos. They are all BS.  A handful of people know what is happening, none of them are out talking to journalists. 

It's pure wait and see.

OK, but while we are waiting, here is another article to pass the time...

The BIG 10:  Expansion hinges on timing of Pac-12, ACC implosions.  It's 'when?', not 'if'

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1g-10-expansion-hinges-on-timing-of-pac-12-acc-implosions-its-when-not-if/

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

SMU was punching the air after seeing Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, BYU,Cincy, UCF and especially dear old UofH get elevated to a P5 conference. 

You have no fans. You have no recent football or basketball success. You even tried to rebrand yourselves as "Dallas" even though The University of Dallas exists.

SMU even divorced the Methodist church for a chance at the P5.

When ALL of this failed, You guys resorted to buying your way into a P5 conference. The jury is out on if this will work, but I predict SMU may try going independent in football if this falls through.

I think you were right about SMU BEFORE NiL... now with NIL SMU could win the national championship as they have unmatched money to spend and excel when cheating is allowed.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

SMU was punching the air after seeing Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, BYU,Cincy, UCF and especially dear old UofH get elevated to a P5 conference. 

You have no fans. You have no recent football or basketball success. You even tried to rebrand yourselves as "Dallas" even though The University of Dallas exists.

When ALL of this failed, You guys resorted to buying your way into a P5 conference. The jury is out on if this will work, but I predict SMU may try going independent in football if this falls through.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

You know, I have held my tongue on some of your catty comments but I am tired of your crap.

Cougar High couldn't hold SMU's jock back in the 70's and 80's and the only reason you guys have had any success as of late is your mafia benefactor who needs a tax write off ie a place to launder his money.

You could only wish to have had the historic success that SMU has had.  Any by the way, you should not be boasting about attendance either.

Also, why are you here?  We share a conference with UNT, albeit for a cup of coffee but still we have reason to be engaging with them at this time.  I don't see Houston on the schedule for UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2