SDSU sent letter to MWC asking to postpone exit deadline

outoftown

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Is that with SDSU and Smut added?   Supposedly they did models of with and without the adds, and one including UCLA back too, lol.    The Big12 contract is around $31.6m per school.  

Just SDSU. I haven’t seen SMU discussed in quite a while. Seems like that may be dead in the water. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Amazon or Apple TV+ May Soon Be The Home of Pac-12 Football & Basketball

https://cordcuttersnews.com/amazon-or-apple-tv-may-soon-be-the-home-of-pac-12-football-basketball/

The article that this article is based on is from March. I swear just trying to keep updated on this (or anything) is navigating a web of articles based on articles from other articles.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Just SDSU. I haven’t seen SMU discussed in quite a while. Seems like that may be dead in the water. 

I would just assume this is a troll post for my benefit, but the history posts on this board tell another story. This is the most hilariously uninformed and clueless board this side of ponyfans.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Very little being read is good info. Wait a month and you'll read the opposite. Nobody knows what is happening

No news is bad news this close to the end of the media rights contract.  If any of the proposed adds to the PAC 12 were a significant valued add coveted by potential media rights partners, their additions would have been announced already.  Also if they had an offer equal to or slightly better than what the Big 12 is getting they would announce that.   The only thing pending at that point would be negotiating deals for the proposed additions.  I doubt the PAC 12 is holding up any negotiations based on adding G5 programs.  So probably most of what is out there is not solid information from a solid source in the know.  But I guarantee if they had good news from a PAC 12 perspective that would be out there for clickbait consumption also.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

50 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I would just assume this is a troll post for my benefit, but the history posts on this board tell another story. This is the most hilariously uninformed and clueless board this side of ponyfans.

Then why are you here?

Even the Dan Wetzel tweet points to an article with no mention of SMU. When SMU does pop up in these articles, it either goes back to the original speculation months ago, or it's in reference to Fresno and Boise not even being under consideration. I haven't read anything lately that produces even half as much smoke as the SDSU discussions/letter.

Not saying that SMU to the Pac can't happen, but all signs currently point to nothing is happening. Even the DMN conveyed this a couple days ago:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2023/06/17/what-could-san-diego-states-unofficial-mountain-west-conference-resignation-mean-for-smu/

Also, common sense says that if SDSU and to a lesser degree, SMU, were such a value add, they would've been invited already. It's been months. 

More than likely at this point, the Pac 12 sticks with who they have. Maybe they add SDSU. To a lesser degree, maybe they add another school to even it out to 12, but really there's no reason to do that. Especially with a school so far outside the footprint that doesn't add enough value to move the needle on the media contracts.

The best that can be said is adding SDSU provides recent basketball success, which wouldn't be a bad thing with UCLA on the way out. Adding SMU brings...?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Even the Dan Wetzel tweet points to an article with no mention of SMU. When SMU does pop up in these articles, it either goes back to the original speculation months ago, or it's in reference to Fresno and Boise not even being under consideration. I haven't read anything lately that produces even half as much smoke as the SDSU discussions/letter

There have been some unforeseen delays but these are just minor setbacks. SMU is still the most highly coveted addition.due to our budget, facilities and academics.  NIL has been an absolute blessing.  The Pac12 knows the value SMU brings to the table.  And whether you want to acknowledge it or not,  SMU’s academic prestige is a huge draw for every conference in the country.  I would be very surprised if we don’t hear something official by 4th of July. 

Edited by mustangfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

hilariously uninformed and clueless 

Funny, that's how I would describe an adult who willingly spends his free time posting on forums for teams he's not even a fan of. You've posted here 346 times, and 346 times no one has given a douchebag what you had to say. 

Why don't you go fornicate with the highland park hand humpers?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Just now, ntmeangreen11 said:

Funny, that's how I would describe an adult who willingly spends his free time posting on forums for teams he's not even a fan of. You've posted here 346 times, and 346 times no one has given a douchebag what you had to say. 

Why don't you go fornicate with the highland park hand humpers?

I live in Denton. It's good to follow the local team

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Then why are you here?

Even the Dan Wetzel tweet points to an article with no mention of SMU. When SMU does pop up in these articles, it either goes back to the original speculation months ago, or it's in reference to Fresno and Boise not even being under consideration. I haven't read anything lately that produces even half as much smoke as the SDSU discussions/letter.

Not saying that SMU to the Pac can't happen, but all signs currently point to nothing is happening. Even the DMN conveyed this a couple days ago:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2023/06/17/what-could-san-diego-states-unofficial-mountain-west-conference-resignation-mean-for-smu/

Also, common sense says that if SDSU and to a lesser degree, SMU, were such a value add, they would've been invited already. It's been months. 

More than likely at this point, the Pac 12 sticks with who they have. Maybe they add SDSU. To a lesser degree, maybe they add another school to even it out to 12, but really there's no reason to do that. Especially with a school so far outside the footprint that doesn't add enough value to move the needle on the media contracts.

The best that can be said is adding SDSU provides recent basketball success, which wouldn't be a bad thing with UCLA on the way out. Adding SMU brings...?

Did you read the article?  It says nothing is happening, because everyone is waiting on the media deal. Which has always had to close before expansion.  Even the PAC commissioner said this explicitly.  PAC is under no deadlines. When they are done they are done. 

Further, if you are reading Dallas local sources or B12 team related sources, you aren't getting good info. You have to read PAC sources.  This Hoyt article is just a throwaway recap attached to a mention of SDSU's letter to the MWC. 

And just because you aren't seeing it doesn't mean it's not out there. SMU and SDSU to PAC is foregone conclusion in most media now.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

25 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

There have been some unforeseen delays but these are just minor setbacks. SMU is still the most highly coveted addition.due to our budget, facilities and academics.  NIL has been an absolute blessing.  The Pac12 knows the value SMU brings to the table.  And whether you want to acknowledge it or not,  SMU’s academic prestige is a huge draw for every conference in the country.  I would be very surprised if we don’t hear something official by 4th of July. 

Taking off my fan hat for a moment, I don't think SMU is valueless. I believe that y'all bring big value to the AAC for the reasons you mentioned. At the risk of losing my fancard, I'm glad that we're in a conference with you.

However, as far as the Pac goes, it doesn't seem like SMU adds enough value to bring in a school that's 800 miles from the nearest member school. I think that's borne out in the current media negotiations, but obviously nobody knows what's final until the documents are signed. 

1 minute ago, DentonStang said:

And just because you aren't seeing it doesn't mean it's not out there. SMU and SDSU to PAC is foregone conclusion in most media now.

You could be right, we'll see. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I dont think the issue is over what SMU or SDSU bring to the PAC... I think the issue is what the PAC can offer these schools going forward.  It seems more schools are wanting to leave the PAC then join, and that situation is not going to get them a solid media deal.  There might be more media money (could be less), games will be streamed instead of being on network/cable TV, but they get to put "PAC?" on their uniforms (which meant something 20 years ago).

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont think the issue is over what SMU or SDSU bring to the PAC... I think the issue is what the PAC can offer these schools going forward.  It seems more schools are wanting to leave the PAC then join, and that situation is not going to get them a solid media deal.  There might be more media money (could be less), games will be streamed instead of being on network/cable TV, but they get to put "PAC?" on their uniforms (which meant something 20 years ago).

There is no negative outcome. 

The money, even in the worst case put out by B12 propaganda, is many multiples of the AAC deal. And we get to associate with some of the best academic schools out there playing football.  And if some teams leave.... So what, we'll raid what we want from MWC and AAC and end up better than we are today.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, mustangfan said:

SMU is still the most highly coveted addition.due to our budget, facilities and academics

Man when you mention all that, it appears that Sonny Dykes jumped the gun to leave so early cause clearly SMU is no brainer add?  🤣🤣🤣🤣  What is so hard to understand that none of what you really matter when a conference is at the negotiation table with media outlets?  On Saturdays, It is just as hard to find SMU games on the TV’s of local sports bars not hosting a SMU watch party as it is UNT games.  Fans don’t tune in for academics and “great" facilities 2/3 full of lethargic fans.  Every G5 with good facilities and near large population center is a “fixer upper project” for a P5 conference until they start winning and compiling seasons ranked in the top 25 (not weeks).  Ninety percent of the consideration from these media outlets is what is your program’s TV ratings nothing else.  Most of the remaining 10% is what markets/time zones you pull the best numbers in.  If LA had a massive untapped SMU alumni/fanbase, the Pac 12 would have announced SMU’s addition within weeks of the news of USC/UCLA departing.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Mountain West:  Won't approve any exceptions for San Diego St.

The Mountain West Conference sent an additional letter to San Diego State on Friday, informing the school that "at this time" the conference will not approve any exceptions the school had requested last week when it gave notice that it intends to resign from the conference, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37881275/mountain-west-approve-exceptions-san-diego-st

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Mountain West:  Won't approve any exceptions for San Diego St.

The Mountain West Conference sent an additional letter to San Diego State on Friday, informing the school that "at this time" the conference will not approve any exceptions the school had requested last week when it gave notice that it intends to resign from the conference, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37881275/mountain-west-approve-exceptions-san-diego-st

The other problem is there are rumour that the conference may offer SDSU a bigger percentage ala what they had to do for Boise.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

And if some teams leave.... So what, we'll raid what we want from MWC and AAC and end up better than we are today.

MWC, sure. For the AAC, I doubt ESPN just sits around and lets its inventory get raided by a competitor. Also I’m sure there’ll be a clause in whatever media deal the Pac does get that triggers renegotiation if certain members or a certain percentage of the conference leaves, and it won’t be $22m per school. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

MWC, sure. For the AAC, I doubt ESPN just sits around and lets its inventory get raided by a competitor. Also I’m sure there’ll be a clause in whatever media deal the Pac does get that triggers renegotiation if certain members or a certain percentage of the conference leaves, and it won’t be $22m per school. 

Half the current PAC leaves - it's still an upgrade for anyone to join vs sharing a conference with teams like Charlotte, Wyoming, Texas State, etc.  

Unless you mean the ENTIRE PAC gets destroyed other than SMU or SDSU.  OK, we join AAC, MWC, or someone else and we're back where we are now. There's really nowhere to go significantly down from the current AAC. Certainly not anywhere down enough to justify not even trying to move up for vague fear of future realignment.  Is the AAC really the best you could ever hope for?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Also from Canzano's (via Twitter):

John Canzano
@johncanzanobft
On SMU front… the American Athletic Conference bylaws call for a $10 million payment and “27 months notice” for a school to withdraw from the conference.

SMU has NOT announced intentions to leave as of today (6-17).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Half the current PAC leaves - it's still an upgrade for anyone to join vs sharing a conference with teams like Charlotte, Wyoming, Texas State, etc.  

If half the current Pac leaves, you’re left with Cal, Stanford, Washington State, and Oregon State. Enough to pull in some MWC schools, but that’s about it. Media contract for that group probably wouldn’t be much higher than the AAC. Definitely not enough to justify the higher travel costs. Also it would cease to be a P5 conference at that point. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

Also from Canzano's (via Twitter):

John Canzano
@johncanzanobft
On SMU front… the American Athletic Conference bylaws call for a $10 million payment and “27 months notice” for a school to withdraw from the conference.

SMU has NOT announced intentions to leave as of today (6-17).

Money is not an issue for us the way it apparently is for SDSU, and all the other teams negotiated sweet deals on the way out. So will we.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1