SDSU sent letter to MWC asking to postpone exit deadline

outoftown

On 6/20/2023 at 9:56 PM, DentonStang said:

Who knows. There's a lot of shuffling to come. ACC will get raided. Do leftovers go to B12? PAC?  Both?  Raid others?  So incentives like the playoff put pressure on lower teams in B10/SEC to leave?  Do they keep expanding?  Leave NCAA?  Do judicial rulings make scholarship athletes employees and blow everything up? 

No idea. But PAC is an upgrade for now and that's all we can know

If and when SMU goes to the PAC12, are you looking at a 2024 or 25 schedule?

On 6/19/2023 at 2:01 PM, ColoradoEagle said:

Just SDSU. I haven’t seen SMU discussed in quite a while. Seems like that may be dead in the water. 

The Pac 12 should do the sensible thing.  Forget the elite academics and make it an athletic conference.  Replace the LA universities with San Diego State and UNLV.  Both are in large markets and wouldn't decrease the payout terribly.  Both would get up to speed after a couple or three years.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The Pac 12 should do the sensible thing.  Forget the elite academics and make it an athletic conference.  Replace the LA universities with San Diego State and UNLV.  Both are in large markets and wouldn't decrease the payout terribly.  Both would get up to speed after a couple or three years.  

Have you seen UNLVs athletics? 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Dpony14 said:

Have you seen UNLVs athletics? 

Well, I've seen their stadium and it's first class.  I remember when they had elite basketball teams.  I believe that they will hire better coaches who will raise their status by being in the Pac 12.  I know that we have played them twice in football and it wasn't even close.  There's plenty of money in Vegas and if they can get a few high rollers behind them then they can have great facilities which will attract better players.  I don't know of any better potential success places to build a program(s).

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

On 6/20/2023 at 3:00 PM, Dpony14 said:

Here is my best explanation, and I hope this comes across in an informative/positive way, not like I'm trying to brag about SMU. I like to pop in here for debates, so I'm trying not to get banned. P5 conferences want to know that potential addition will do what it takes to be successful if they are elevated. A lot of that comes down to spending. SMU already spends at the low end P5 level, without the P5 media revenue. Its a show of commitment, not a "were so rich, look at us". You cant guarantee success if your school is elevated, but you can guarantee you will do everything within your power to try. Will you spend on extra staff, facilities, NIL, or whatever it takes to be successful at the P5 level? SMU has proven we can and we will. 

Some additional things besides the "money"/NIL/Portal that are usually mentioned by anyone who talks about SMU in a positive light... PAC12 fans are flocking to Texas which will help SMUs attendance, and let them see their team locally. SMU opens up some Central Time Zone games, which is good for media partners. SMU has the academics that the snobs at Cal/Stanford want to see. SMU helps the PAC12 schools, and especially the Arizona Schools and Colorado, recruit Texas for players. It also makes it easier for those schools to pull regular students from Texas, which one of the Arizona presidents stated is a big deal. S

Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree. 

All I know is what I read, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The MWV viewed SDSU's letter requesting a" stay of execution" as an actual resignation and are proceeding as such. In addition, SMU tops the short list of additions to the PAC. Geography means nothing, otherwise UCF and WVU would not be in the Big 12. The Ponies are highly respected academically , have the financial resources to compete in the new athletic "pay for play" environment [ actually they were one of the forerunners of "pay for play"] , are located in a huge media market, and open up Texas for Big 12 recruiting. While my favorite two athletic teams are UNT and who ever is playing SMU, I wish them well. Having the PAC 12 along with the BIG 12 and new AAC in the METROPLEX gives college football junkies another entree on their local football menu.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Yeah but then again, who gives a gosh darn about New Mexico, Utah State, Fresno State and Wyoming?💤🥱💤

These, as I am sure you know, are MWC teams., and other than SDSU are not targets of the PAC 12. However if the PAC 12 implodes because of a poor media contract that could change. However, it would take Oregon and Washington to BIG 10 plus Arizona , Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah to BIG 12 leaving Stanford, California, Oregon State and Washington State behind to trigger a realignment. If that happens, I believe the remaining PAC 12 programs would cherry pick the MWC, with those left behind in the MWC  joining the WAC and perhaps bringing UTEP and NMSU into the fold. However, as a disclaimer I have never been correct on conference realignment in the past . The bottom line is that everything depends upon the new PAC 12 media contract to be announced shortly.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The Athletic FOIA'd the letters. and posted them for those who have the subscription. It is somewhat ambiguous, but I would tend to say that a reasonable person would indeed read the initial letter as an exit because of the very unfortunate wording SDSU used, including sending it to all presidents (which is a requirement for exiting)

"...this letter is to formally notice that SDSU  intends to resign from the Mountain West Conference  effective June 30 2024 or at an agreed upon later date" 

It gets a bit complicated because they also ask for an extension on their exit notice. But the above sentence puts them in my mind in a legally difficult position.

That said, if I were the MWC, seing as the PAC-12 will almost definitely not manage before friday (June 30), I would answer them that -out f the goodness of their hearts- they accept SDSUs interpretation that they did not serve notice of exit, provided the send timely notice that at this point they have indeed not given notice of wanting to exit. I think it will improve the MWCs negotiation position, because if the notice then comes after June 30 they can ask more money and it will be difficult for SDSU to scrape that money together in the first place.

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

The Athletic FOIA'd the letters. and posted them for those who have the subscription. It is somewhat ambiguous, but I would tend to say that a reasonable person would indeed read the initial letter as an exit because of the very unfortunate wording SDSU used, including sending it to all presidents (which is a requirement for exiting)

"...this letter is to formally notice that SDSU  intends to resign from the Mountain West Conference  effective June 30 2024 or at an agreed upon later date" 

It gets a bit complicated because they also ask for an extension on their exit notice. But the above sentence puts them in my mind in a legally difficult position.

That said, if I were the MWC, seing as the PAC-12 will almost definitely not manage before friday (June 30), I would answer them that -out f the goodness of their hearts- they accept SDSUs interpretation that they did not serve notice of exit, provided the send timely notice that at this point they have indeed not given notice of wanting to exit. I think it will improve the MWCs negotiation position, because if the notice then comes after June 30 they can ask more money and it will be difficult for SDSU to scrape that money together in the first place.

I read that the MWC interpretation was it is an exit letter.  They have started the processes of withholding conference payouts, taking SDSU staff off committees, prohibiting them from participating in future meetings, etc.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

I read that the MWC interpretation was it is an exit letter.  They have started the processes of withholding conference payouts, taking SDSU staff off committees, prohibiting them from participating in future meetings, etc.   

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Its a whole back and forth, that -should SDS not find a landing spot- will need mending fences. Also if SDSu finds a landing spot, but only post June30 then this interpretation by the MWC will lead to them losing out on 18 million.

• Sad 1