SDSU sent letter to MWC asking to postpone exit deadline

outoftown

Per the athletic, they sent a letter to MWC asking to postpone the notification deadline for leaving the conference by a month. Right now if they notify by June30 for 24-25 they have to pay 17 mil, and after that 34 million.

Shows they are willing to go. Also makes it look like the PAC still doesn't have its ducks in a row. No idea why the MWC would say yes to this.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Per the athletic, they sent a letter to MWC asking to postpone the notification deadline for leaving the conference by a month. Right now if they notify by June30 for 24-25 they have to pay 17 mil, and after that 34 million.

Shows they are willing to go. Also makes it look like the PAC still doesn't have its ducks in a row. No idea why the MWC would say yes to this.

PAC is slow footing all of this it appears.  They have to make the first move.  Big 12 appears done.

• Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

PAC is slow footing all of this it appears.  They have to make the first move.  Big 12 appears done.

Big 12 can sit back and wait. When Oregon and Washington leave (and perhaps Cal and Stanford), they offer the 4-corner schools a partial share.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Any other response from the MWC, then there needs to be some people looking for a new job.

It’s possible they’ve been negotiating behind the scenes. They get a month delay for $24 mil. I’d be surprised if the MWC was caught off guard by this. 

• Upvote 1

The PAC really doesn’t have a lot of leverage. I’m interested to hear if it ever comes out the difference between the deal in April and the final deal. 

I could be wrong but it feels like this will be a giant lipstick on a pig announcement when the deal comes out. 

Talked to a B1G fan recently who knows people at MSU. He says there’s interest in UW and UO but almost none in Stanford/Cal. 

Crazy but in five years the biggest winner in this might be the MWC if they are able to add the scraps if/when the PAC collapses. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Crazy but in five years the biggest winner in this might be the MWC if they are able to add the scraps if/when the PAC collapses. 

I think the Big 12 would gladly take any PAC teams the B1G doesn't want.  And the PAC could begin plundering the MWC right now to make sure the reverse never happens.

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think the Big 12 would gladly take any PAC teams the B1G doesn't want.  And the PAC could begin plundering the MWC right now to make sure the reverse never happens.

Let’s say the Big 12 takes the four corner schools and UW and UO go to the Big Ten (that’s projecting a lot but still possible).  The PAC doesn’t survive that no matter who they add. I don’t know what P5 conference would want OSU and WSU and at that point Stanford might just go independent until they figure things out. Not sure what Cal does. 
Small chance all this happens but I think there’s no chance PAC survives by adding a bunch of G5 schools. And I bet the TV contract addresses this. 
Nobody wants to show their games as they are currently configured, my guess is they get below AAC numbers if too many teams bail. 

I thought about it. And If I am Yormark, I think I would take this and use it to set up a power play here: I would offer SDSU a spot in the Big12, but tell them that the offer is good only till june 30. After it expires and will not be remade. It seems clear that the PAC will not manage to get their stuff together until then, and this will cost SDSU 17 extra mil if they go to the pac. Can you afford to not take the valid offer then and there in order to wait if it also doubles the exit fee. I doubt - that even if it obviously pays off in the long run - that fronting 34 million is all that easy for SDSU, since you likely have to do it before you get any payouts.

He could deprive the PAC of its best expansion option, because that would put the pressure up quite a bit for the SDSU leadership to chose the Big12 instead of their original preference, which surely is the PAC. It might actually be what gets you some of those corner schools afterwards, and you can then tell them: I already got a school out west, I only need 3 of you, last one to accept will not have a chair

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

SDSU makes no sense for the Big 12 though. There's no natural rivalries with Big 12 schools, it's not a huge brand, etc.

The part about the rivalries and the brand are both true. However it is a fairly open secret that he has already thought about adding them anyway. There are reasons. It allows you a) to sell the late time slot in TV negotiations the next time and b) to really hurt what is left of the PAC, because the PAC really NEEDs that southern California representation in its line-up. Without it there is almost nowhere good for the PAC to go, which will let the Big12 overtake it.

Edited by outoftown

8 hours ago, meanrob said:

The PAC name still holds more media value than the MWC.  I can see the MWC getting split between the PAC and AAC.  

It was only a couple years ago that Aresco touted expanding west...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/aac-commissioner-sets-impending-timeline-for-his-conference-to-expand/

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The PAC name still holds more media value than the MWC.  I can see the MWC getting split between the PAC and AAC.  

It was only a couple years ago that Aresco touted expanding west...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/aac-commissioner-sets-impending-timeline-for-his-conference-to-expand/

If you signed a tv deal with the PAC thinking you’d get Oregon, Wash, and the four corner schools and most of those leave and replaced with MWC schools, that tv deal is over. The PAC as a P5 entity is over. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

SDSU may have to also negotiate a deal where the PAC pays some/most of any additional exit fees if the invite is delayed....since PAC is the reason for the delay.

Financially the Pac 12 is in a bad place owing money to Comcast.  I don't see the remaining members agreeing to pay anything extra to add ANY G5 team.   If adding SDSU was a immediate value add to the conference they would have added them already to add SDSU games to the media package negotiation.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Not the smartest move to make even if you have an almost guaranteed spot in the PAC. Either announce you are leaving or wait, what does that say about your administration if they can't even wait to do things in the right process? The PAC doesn't have a media deal yet, no GOR have been signed, and until those things are done they aren't ready to vote on expansion. 

I don't see why people are talking about SDSU to the Big12, it's not happening. The pro-rata clause kills any G5 addition to the Big12. Networks won't pay for them, and teams are not going to take a pay cut to add them. 

12 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I get it, but they will do better than SDSU

Options in general in the Rockies and west are limited.  The best options for BYU are all in the 4 corner states.  SDSU without another school from the southern California region is not a good add from a travel partner perspective.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is that with streaming being the main partner?

I believe so. Latest I’ve read is that ESPN has taken themselves out of contention for main media partner, but would be open to picking up some late night tier 1 rights.

Main seems to be down to Apple and Amazon. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I believe so. Latest I’ve read is that ESPN has taken themselves out of contention for main media partner, but would be open to picking up some late night tier 1 rights.

Main seems to be down to Apple and Amazon. 

Very little being read is good info. Wait a month and you'll read the opposite. Nobody knows what is happening

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3