Could the MWC still try to make a Play for UNT and UTSA

Very happy where we are heading, but it's nice to be wanted 😇

https://mwwire.com/2023/06/11/mountain-west-board-of-directors-meetings-included-deliberate-discussions-related-to-conference-realignment/

They could go back into Texas again to try for those new AAC schools .... One thing that could possibly help the Mountain West lure in two up-and-coming brands in UTSA or North Texas

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

AAC and MWC should form an association of some type. OOC play at least. 

Agree, that would be great.   

I think right now the MWC is just making contingency plans, in case they get further raided (soon to lose SDSU) from a wounded Pac12 and need to reload.  UTEP is begging them to take them back, but I believe the MWC sees value from the DFW and SAT media markets.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

No, for several reasons...

We just paid millions to get into the AAC.  I believe that we would lose our entrance fee and possibly have to pay an exit fee.

The Mountain West would still be considered a lesser conference.  In addition we would have to pay another entrance fee for the MWC.

In my opinion, the AAC has the best commissioner of all the G5s.  That means we'll likely get the best advertising of the G5s and the largest payout because we are in larger markets.

The MWC is likely to lose its best franchise, San Diego State, to the PAC12.  That would drop its appeal as much as it can be hurt.

Other than UTSA our closest MWC member would be New Mexico or Air Force.  Much more travel expense!

The AAC will get the first G5 spot in the playoffs.  That's already been established.

Finally, we are busy now putting the new American emblem on courts, fields, uniforms, etc. and are too far into it to back out now.

Lastly, I don't see how the MWC will ever be an advantage for us. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Are we (new schools) getting anywhere near that?

IIRC half rates for the first couple of years, so $3.5M and I think over time the plan is to get us all to the same rate. However I don't know if those specifics have been made public. 

Just for reference we were making 500k in CUSA. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

The AAC is the better conference, better media markets better time zones.  An association between conferences might work, though I dont know if enough schools would be interested.  As for UNT specifically, I think an OOC relationship with the MWC would be mutually beneficial

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Can you guys just give us a couple of years to enjoy this great conference that we are joining now before looking over your shoulder?

I said I was very happy with where we were heading. This was meant to highlight that the value of our program is getting noticed.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Very happy where we are heading, but it's nice to be wanted 😇

https://mwwire.com/2023/06/11/mountain-west-board-of-directors-meetings-included-deliberate-discussions-related-to-conference-realignment/

They could go back into Texas again to try for those new AAC schools .... One thing that could possibly help the Mountain West lure in two up-and-coming brands in UTSA or North Texas

I feel they could try, but it wouldn't work.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MrAlien said:

An association between conferences might work, though I dont know if enough schools would be interested.

At the current rate, there may not be much of a MWC to associate with. MWC's future depends entirely on what happens with the PAC's media contract. A MWC without SDSU, Fresno, CSU, and AFA is pretty rough. Only Boise would really be worth scheduling.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

I’d love to be in the mountain west. Just for the fact that I am in Boise.  

So, what are you hearing in Boise about the Pac12 or MWC?   I thought Boise would be a prime Pac expansion target, but no mention of them that I have seen.  Not a big enough media market and too isolated?

I think academics holds Boise back and that has to be a ploy by Stanford and Cal. But if UNLV gets invited all bets are off and you may as well invite Boise. Of Boise is left in a tattered mountain west, they need to be on the AAC target list along with AFA and CSU.

GMG

• Upvote 4

On 6/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, NT80 said:

So, what are you hearing in Boise about the Pac12 or MWC?   I thought Boise would be a prime Pac expansion target, but no mention of them that I have seen.  Not a big enough media market and too isolated?

Boise seems to be a no brainer to me. But they aren't really considered at all. They have some strong programs but their facilities are quite behind.  I would take our facilities over BSU any day.  I think that is what holds them up more than anything else.  They do have the entire state behind them in support. I would dream of the support they get for North Texas. But when  you are the only show in town (state) you have the advantage.  

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Boise seems to be a no brainer to me. But they aren't really considered at all. They have some strong programs but their facilities is quite behind.  I would take our facilities of BSU any day.  I think that is what holds them up more than anything else.  They do have the entire state behind them in support. I would dream of the support they get for North Texas. But when  you are the only show in town (state) you have the advantage.  

Which is odd to me.  You would thing the state would get behind the University of Idaho.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, UNTLifer said:

Which is odd to me.  You would thing the state would get behind the University of Idaho.

Middle of nowhere. Boise metro has like half the state’s whole population. So it is easy to support. Idaho has much better academics though. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Middle of nowhere. Boise metro has like half the state’s whole population. So it is easy to support. Idaho has much better academics though. 

Boise is the Capital of Idaho and has a population of 237,000 from 2022.

Univ of Idaho is in Moscow on the nw side of the state and a population of only 26,249.  It's very near Wash St Univ in Pullman, like 6 miles, lol.

• Upvote 1