Not sure AAC schools are excited about us joining

14 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This kind of sentiment was inevitable.  No different than how we felt about the final version of CUSA we were in.

I don't take it as anti-UNT.  Moreso, bitterness about the exit of their biggest brands.

We need to dominate.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

I really can't blame them. They got left behind plus the AAC lost Houston,Cinncy, and UCF who all had national name recognition. These three programs were replaced by UNT,UTSA,Rice, UAB, FAU, and Charlotte. Of these six additions, UTSA's football plus UNT's and FAU's basketball programs are the only ones that ring a bell. We bitch about SMU but when they bail to the PAC 12 whoever replaces them will probably have just another mediocre athletic program.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

This guy is an AAC School? Weird that Memphis only has like 2k followers. 

Or is he just a random dude on the internet?

Not an AAC school, but also not totally random.  He is a Memphis bball fan, so his content reflects that and he has a large contingent of Memphis/AAC followers.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Let's be honest here, they are losing their 3 top nationally recognized brands. How else would you expect them to react? 

On a side note, from what I have seen Memphis has the most jaded fans in the AAC. They desperately want to be in a P5 conference and feel like they are worthy of that move despite being passed over several times. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

On a side note, from what I have seen Memphis has the most jaded fans in the AAC. They desperately want to be in a P5 conference and feel like they are worthy of that move despite being passed over several times. 

They sound just like Smut fans...

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Let's be honest here, they are losing their 3 top nationally recognized brands. How else would you expect them to react? 

Losing their top three teams, makes it a small step up for us from CUSA. If SMU leaves, maybe just a half step up?

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Losing their top three teams, makes it a small step up for us from CUSA. If SMU leaves, maybe just a half step up?

Similar to the schools going into a Big12 which will soon be losing OU and Texas.  It will become the Less12.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, wardly said:

I really can't blame them. They got left behind plus the AAC lost Houston,Cinncy, and UCF who all had national name recognition. These three programs were replaced by UNT,UTSA,Rice, UAB, FAU, and Charlotte. Of these six additions, UTSA's football plus UNT's and FAU's basketball programs are the only ones that ring a bell. We bitch about SMU but when they bail to the PAC 12 whoever replaces them will probably have just another mediocre athletic program.

But wasn’t UofH called Cougar High not that long ago?  And did we not beat Cincy in a bowl game?  And didn’t both build solid basketball programs first?  Just saying todays trash may be tomorrow’s treasure.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, dodgefan said:

There's still some quality brands. I'd say* of what's left Tulane, USF, and Memphis are the top of the conference in that order. Then teams like SMU, ECU, Temple, etc are in the middle. Us newbies are at the bottom until we prove we can be a positive addition to the conference. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

But wasn’t UofH called Cougar High not that long ago?  And did we not beat Cincy in a bowl game?  And didn’t both build solid basketball programs first?  Just saying todays trash may be tomorrow’s treasure.

I am 80, and the last time I heard UH called Cougar High was decades ago. Yes we beat Cincy in the New Orleans Bowl about 20 years ago, which is the only time we won it. If memory serves no one in their conference wanted to play in the Sun Bowl and Cincy was forced to play with less than a weeks notice. The Bearcats were unhappy ,played like it, and really didn't care. After the loss their coach said something to the effect that " who gives a shit." The Cincy basketball team was having a good season so their fans who attended could have fit in a Volkswagen Beetle.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

when you look at al the shuffling, I think the AAC has played its hand very well by concentrating on schools in large media markets.  no doubt this will be a solid basketball conference, easily a multi bid conference.  As for football, its going to take longer, but being in those large media markets is going to boost the AAC when compared to whats left in big12 and pac12. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

when you look at al the shuffling, I think the AAC has played its hand very well by concentrating on schools in large media markets.  no doubt this will be a solid basketball conference, easily a multi bid conference.  As for football, its going to take longer, but being in those large media markets is going to boost the AAC when compared to whats left in big12 and pac12. 

Yes we are in big metros, but we have to establish a winning tradition to gain more of that metro share. We have a lot of alums, but we need to do Tulane/Cincy/UCF/Houston type things to change our culture. I really hope Aresco is around for quite a bit longer as he clearly knows how to build up programs, and let's hope all of the teams in the AAC are committed to investing and making the conference stronger. 

That's one of the frustrating things about Rice, they could be a powerhouse if the actually tried. I'd love for UNT to have the types of resources they have. 

• Upvote 1