Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

But the bigger the named coach coming to a struggling G5 program the better they will be able to retain talent and gain talent through the portal.🤷🏽‍♂️

This is an assumption on your part.

Even if you're right, we have plenty of G5 evidence - in Denton and outside Denton - that suggest hiring a successful P5 is not always the solution you hope for.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Both were money from what I am hearing. Shorter had been getting offers early. Nixon has a son so I think thats why he wanted to go see what money was out there. 

Thanks. I guess college athletics is now officially a professional endeavor. I wonder if UNT and us fans will up our game and pay for the talent it takes to win in this new age of college football.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

23 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Thanks. I guess college athletics is now officially a professional endeavor. I wonder if UNT and us fans will up our game and pay for the talent it takes to win in this new age of college football.

Reframe : it always was a professional endeavor. The system is just catching up to that reality in fits and starts.

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Both were money from what I am hearing. Shorter had been getting offers early. Nixon has a son so I think thats why he wanted to go see what money was out there. 

Thanks, JayD. They are both alums. I wish they’d stay, but can’t blame them for wanting something different.  Glad they gave the new coaching staff a spring, an exit interview, then made a decision.  Wish them both well. GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This time 1000!!! If you sign come get your degree and play your butt off. Then head off to the next chapter. No hard feelings. Hate seeing them go as a fan. But like Brammer last year they lived up to there end of the bargain. But as far as Gumms, Roberton (Jake and Cam) you came to North Texas because it was your best offer. You have one good season then jump ship.. kick rocks. 

Ok, cool. 

What if you don't? What if you bounce after a year or 2 and that becomes the norm as it's trending that way. What is going to be the 'come and play your butt off and get a degree' type of excuse for that? Better get them excuses ready and primed. 

My thoughts, i don't know how we choose to give a single dime to a single kid/player. If we're paying X football player that means there's a market out there for that kid. And given the rules, he's going to explore that market. 

Put. Money. Into. Basketball. 

You cannot justify putting, as a have not financially insecure university, putting money into football. There is never going to be a consistent ROI. It's a waste. 

Again... Basketball is the way.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ok, cool. 

What if you don't? What if you bounce after a year or 2 and that becomes the norm as it's trending that way. What is going to be the 'come and play your butt off and get a degree' type of excuse for that? Better get them excuses ready and primed. 

My thoughts, i don't know how we choose to give a single dime to a single kid/player. If we're paying X football player that means there's a market out there for that kid. And given the rules, he's going to explore that market. 

You cannot justify putting, as a have not financially insecure university, putting money into football. There is never going to be a consistent ROI. It's a waste. 

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Oh, you read me right. 

Given the rules, why even drop a dime into football? I would legitimately be for bringing in a triple option staff and be a thorn in people's side and do it on a scalped budget. Then, dump as much money as possible into basketball. 

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion around here. But there is no way to consistently field a quality team. No shot. 

Basketball is a different opportunity. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh, you read me right. 

Given the rules, why even drop a dime into football? I would legitimately be for bringing in a triple option staff and be a thorn in people's side and do it on a scalped budget. Then, dump as much money as possible into basketball. 

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion around here. But there is no way to consistently field a quality team. No shot. 

Basketball is a different opportunity. 

Hate to tell you, NIL is ramping up even faster in bball.

Instead of the pity routine you should ask why you are not as successful as a number of other schools equally struggling with conference and NIL difficulties who don't have as much inherent potential as UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Instead of the pity routine you should ask why you are not as successful as a number of other schools equally struggling with conference and NIL difficulties who don't have as much inherent potential as UNT.

SMU may have more booster money than North Texas right now, but y’all are small potatoes too.
Where did your starting QB transfer?

It is funny that professional sports has way more roster stability than the NCAA right now. 

I don’t think the transfer portal is sustainable or good for the game. The transfer portal is even hurting schools like Notre Dame and Texas.

These are the rules for now though. Better take advantage and do a better job feeding off the schools under us. 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

No pity routine. 

Football is a clear waste of money. That's really basically it. I don't care so much for wasting money. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ok, cool. 

Could not agree more.  Much easier to get it going and then you have far more money to spend on the NIL.  NIL is going to kill football as we know it.  We think football has been a struggle as of late...just wait.  Since 1990 we are 145 - 232 in football.  

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

I knee jerk wanted to down vote this because  it is still very odd to me why a Stang is so committed to commenting here regularly.  But on the other hand this comment is a dose inconvenient truth.  We better start ramping up NIL on the basketball side more.   Maybe I am wrong.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Could not agree more.  Much easier to get it going and then you have far more money to spend on the NIL.  NIL is going to kill football as we know it.  We think football has been a struggle as of late...just wait.  Since 1990 we are 145 - 232 in football.  

Yeah you drop football you are going to lose ALOT of money. I think we all can agree the Athletic Department currently is taking Athletics as a whole alot more serious than we were in the 80s and 90's

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yeah you drop football you are going to lose ALOT of money. I think we all can agree the Athletic Department currently is taking Athletics as a whole alot more serious than we were in the 80s and 90's

I don't disagree with this at all and as you said in a post above, we have a HUGE untapped alumni base, but so far, no one has been able to tap into much of it.  We still have too many who want to do it either "their way" or the old school way when it comes to trying to get support from Denton and our massive alums.  Until that changes, it will just be more of the same.  

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

4. No way to field a quality team? There is no reason why North Texas shouldn't be able to be a top 5 team year in and year out in the American year in and year out.

We would’ve been a top 5 team last season in the AAC if you replaced the 3 schools headed to the big12 with the 6 cusa schools joining this year.

• Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I don't disagree with this at all and as you said in a post above, we have a HUGE untapped alumni base, but so far, no one has been able to tap into much of it.  We still have too many who want to do it either "their way" or the old school way when it comes to trying to get support from Denton and our massive alums.  Until that changes, it will just be more of the same.  

Its is going to take a decade of winning. I also think having a charismatic coach is going to help as well. This is not the same Athletic Department that was there a decade ago. I think Wren and Jared have assemble a young hungry group that sees North Texas potential. I am not going to judge on past mistakes. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

3. The game of college football is constenly changes. You have to be able to adapt. Just because there is a NIL doesn't mean to throw in towel. North Texas has the alumni and resources to be a G5 powerhouse.

You can't have a timid leadership and make the bold moves necessary to get alumni to buy in.  Seem we have leadership expecting the program to win in spite the avoidable challenges they encounter here. ( I think Coach Dickey would passionately concur with that statement ).   Coach Fry left because some of the challenges here were beyond the capability of the school to change.  Apogee Staduim 10 years late minimum and now the leadership is repeating that with the Superpit.  Just think if the new basketball coach keeps the momentum going just to get hired away with a arena or massively upgraded Superpit still on the drawing board.  Coach Dickey's peak was the 2002 season and ground broke for Apogee's Contruction 2009.  I thought RV leaving would have alleviated a lot of this but Seth's retention for 2002 was very reminiscent of an RV move.  That just confirms to me that we have a deeper university sports culture problem that infects and limits an AD decision process.  Like I have mention before even a public courting of Coach Sanders would have be the best advertisement for the football program trying 100% than even Apogee Staduim.  (Even with Apogee they had to wisely had to opt for a 30k stadium instead of one with 40k plus that would be in line with the aspirations)

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2