The 2023/24 UNT Basketball Transfer/Recruiting Tracker

I thought I'd make a catch-all thread to keep track of the roster as well as who UNT is targeting in the portal/recruiting. 

Expected to return:

Rubin Jone

Aaron Scott

Moulaye Sissoko

Matthew Stone

Christian Moore

Arsh Mattu

Grayson Allo

Transferring:

Tylor Perry

Abou Ousmane

Chris Morgan (maybe?)

Out of Eligibility: 

Tyree Eady

Rasheed Browne

Jayden Martinez

Kai Huntsberry

Commits:

Alex Cotton

https://247sports.com/player/alex-cotton-46127654/

So we have 5 and possibly 6 scholarships left depending on what Chris Morgan decides to do.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 5

• Green Otaku changed the title to The 2023/24 UNT Basketball Transfer/Recruiting Tracker
3 hours ago, BleedingGreen said:

I don’t think Allo or Mattu are on scholarship. Perhaps we have more scholarships available even with Morgan .

Yup walk ons. I counted the 4 that are out of eligibility in Eady, Browne, Martinez, and Huntsberry, plus 2 transfers in Abou and TP that gives us 6. If Morgan transfers that 7, but if he stays we have 6. Cotton is committed so that's -1 to both of those numbers so, 6 or 5 left depending on what Morgan does. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

What do we know about Shareef Mitchel from Creighton?  

I would like to know too.  Doesn't look like he had much impact at Creighton and I think only has one year left (maybe wrong).

I'm not seeing much to get excited about.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, helix said:

I would like to know too.  Doesn't look like he had much impact at Creighton and I think only has one year left (maybe wrong).

I'm not seeing much to get excited about.

Same…all I’ve looked at is ESPN stats but it wasn’t huge impact stuff.  Maybe there’s more to the story.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Three names that we've been tied to on the portal:

1) Shereef Mitchell, G, Creighton (mentioned above)

2) Johnathan Massie, F, McNeese State

3) Shakada Wells, G, TCU

On MItchell....his stats won't blow you away. But CU fans really don't want to see him go. And if you go back and look at his high school videos....he's lightning quick.

On Massie, he played with A Scott in high school. Apparently, Aaron and Rubo are both trying to woo him.

Don't know anything about Shakada Wells.

And I guess I would say........we really don't know how interested we are.....just because our name gets listed on Twitter with 15-20 other schools.

Final thing: A good resource that I found...on Twitter:  The Portal Report......

Really good info you have discovered @SUMG

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, tmjerm said:

What do we know about Shareef Mitchel from Creighton?  

He's 26 so if we can get Aune out of the NFL draft we'd probably have the oldest college football player and oldest men's college basketball player at the same time on the same campus.

If I'm being honest, I don't like that for the simple reason that he's been in basketball with no breaks like Aune did with football. He's never started at the D1 level or even had significant minutes. His HS tape with supposed lightning quickness is about 6 years ago now. Had he been a strong bench player, I'd be ok with it but he's yet to find himself on the court. Why should we expect any different here?

Side note, his coach at Sunrise Christian Academy (looks like post HS) was Achoki Moikobu who was just an assistant here with McCasland as if following Grant to Texas Tech.

And yes, I know the math ain't mathing. I saw he's 26 on some pro basketball sites. He graduated HS in 2018 I believe and then did a year at Sunrise Christian Academy in 2019.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He's 26 so if we can get Aune out of the NFL draft we'd probably have the oldest college football player and oldest men's college basketball player at the same time on the same campus.

If I'm being honest, I don't like that for the simple reason that he's been in basketball with no breaks like Aune did with football. He's never started at the D1 level or even had significant minutes. His HS tape with supposed lightning quickness is about 6 years ago now. Had he been a strong bench player, I'd be ok with it but he's yet to find himself on the court. Why should we expect any different here?

Side note, his coach at Sunrise Christian Academy (looks like post HS) was Achoki Moikobu who was just an assistant here with McCasland as if following Grant to Texas Tech.

And yes, I know the math ain't mathing. I saw he's 26 on some pro basketball sites. He graduated HS in 2018 I believe and then did a year at Sunrise Christian Academy in 2019.

The math never maths for me anymore 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, Green Otaku said:

Yup walk ons. I counted the 4 that are out of eligibility in Eady, Browne, Martinez, and Huntsberry, plus 2 transfers in Abou and TP that gives us 6. If Morgan transfers that 7, but if he stays we have 6. Cotton is committed so that's -1 to both of those numbers so, 6 or 5 left depending on what Morgan does. 

Don’t forget we were only at 12 scholarships this season after Zephir left the team. 

• Upvote 5