Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The question I ask myself about Tylor Perry:

Would I be willing to switch my sports fandom to Arkansas for $400K? 

Can’t watch Mean Green football or basketball any more (unless they are playing Arkansas).

Can’t go to Denton for games. Have to go to Arkansas. Can’t go on Mean Green message boards or listen to UNT podcasts or follow my favorite North Texas athletes on Twitter. All that transfers to Arkansas too. 

$400K is a lot of money and that is what Tylor is looking at.

I personally wouldn’t do it at that number, but I bet I would have a price. Would you? 

400k for a 1-year stint? Highly unlikely. That would put him at the pace of being a top 15 paid ("nil'ed") college basketball player. No shot. Zero. He'll be lucky to snag 100k. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

400k for a 1-year stint? Highly unlikely. That would put him at the pace of being a top 15 paid ("nil'ed") college basketball player. No shot. Zero. He'll be lucky to snag 100k. 

I saw a tweet claiming that every single D1 school had reached out to TP.  Seems as though he’s wanted. I dont know if its 400K, but it should be a good amount. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Tylor will be graduating and leaving UNT soon but still visiting Denton ISD schools. Seems like leadership to me. 

I could be wrong (unlikely) but pretty sure he gets paid to do that. That’s exactly what the Light the Tower Collective advertises as part of their paid students’ activities for the collective. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Love the look on the kids' faces as well as Tylor's!  Some future Mean Green fans in the making!

But he's leaving the Mean Green to play for another school.   Did he tell those little kids that?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If he goes to Tech I'm going to blow up. At that point, you can't tell me that it hasn't been in the works for at least a couple weeks. It'd be, no other way to put it, McCasland dogging UNT like a back alley whore for his own personal gain/success. 

gosh...and clearly it cost us in Vegas.

you do realize that GM's own personal gain and success has been directly tied to UNT's gain and success, right? 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

with each post it becomes so much clearer how little you know what's happening with NIL in our program.

I live in effing Maine and have a better understanding. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would be shocked if he wound up out there honestly.  
IMO, If Arkansas wants him bad enough (re:NIL$), I bet that’s where he lands.  Coach Musselman saw Tylor drop 15 on his team in an exhibition last season. He knows what Tylor brings to the table.

I think Arkansas is a fit...setting up to be a top 15 or so team next year in a P5 conference and ya, I like Musselman...but I also don't think Tylor transferring out is purely about money. he made good money while here. if he does go to Tech it's because he cares about relationships and clearly he has a strong one with Mac. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think Arkansas is a fit...setting up to be a top 15 or so team next year in a P5 conference and ya, I like Musselman...but I also don't think Tylor transferring out is purely about money. he made good money while here. if he does go to Tech it's because he cares about relationships and clearly he has a strong one with Mac. 

I feel like this goes against everything he has said though. If it's not about money and about relationships, why not stay with the school that took a chance on him?

In addition, I have heard him mention Ross several times in interviews after games, so he might have just as good a relationship with Mac as Ross.

I have to believe it is purely driven by money. Nothing against that, he can set himself up with a nice little bit of change to start well after college ball.

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

with each post it becomes so much clearer how little you know what's happening with NIL in our program.

I live in effing Maine and have a better understanding. 

My reference is based on the On3 NIL database. 400k for 1 year would put him in elite financial status in the country. 

As far as our NIL goes, I was told we had 1.6M in it as of 2 or 3 months ago. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Oh, I’m definitely not saying it’s all about $. But if TP has schools all over vying for his services, he may want to go to Fayetteville, but if they don’t bring a competitive bag, someone else’s $ might speak loud enough to get him to go elsewhere.

Also, anyone talking trash about his loyalty, or whatever to the program is an idiot. You might be able to say that about certain players, but this man actually used the college "Student-athlete" system as it was intended. 

If you were to compare it to a normal student, imagine spending your Senior year working an on-campus job at the registrar's office for $15/hour. Then you graduate and The University of Phoenix offers you a 10 month externship, which would pay $35/hour. This would hopefully lead to a 'real job', with a salary and benefits. 

Would you say the student above is being disloyal for not continuing on with the job on campus in the registrar's office?

Better yet, if he goes to another university to pursue a grad degree and gets to play a year of basketball there, should we say that anyone who obtains a grad degree outside of NT is not loyal to the school?

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Good luck to TP. He did amazing things for our program and will soon have a valuable piece of paper with the University of North Texas emblazoned on it.

I just hope his sights are set higher than ttu

Bingo!! This is why we should not be mad, he will have a degree, he is not transferring out before getting a degree. Let him enjoy his 5th year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would be shocked if he wound up out there honestly.  
IMO, If Arkansas wants him bad enough (re:NIL$), I bet that’s where he lands.  Coach Musselman saw Tylor drop 15 on his team in an exhibition last season. He knows what Tylor brings to the table.

They just signed a PG out of the transfer portal

Young man has to do what's in his best interest financially - he won't have a storied professional career earning top dollars. This won't be the first time we lose a talent like this in the NIL era, baring some large expansion to our base providing NIL $. Hope he gets the $ he wants and is successful at his next stop. I'll say right now I don't think he'll out perform an NIT championship next season, but go prove me wrong, TP.

• Upvote 2

again, everyone keeps just pointing out NIL. I know for a fact TP had a nice NIL deal with UNT. yes, where ever he lands will likely be able to offer more and it'll probably be a factor in his decision...but I think for a dude like TP he cares more about the experiential opportunity of his last year of eligibility. basically, I think it'd be more fun to be the sixth man for a top 25 ranked team playing in front of a full house of 19K a night knowing you'll almost certainly have an NCAA tournament game than being the star for a "mid-major" in a 1/3rd full arena with a coin-flip chance of dancing in March.

everyone wants to scape-goat NIL here. but a lot more needs to be done in all aspects of the program if you really want to keep this from happening here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

again, everyone keeps just pointing out NIL. I know for a fact TP had a nice NIL deal with UNT. yes, where ever he lands will likely be able to offer more and it'll probably be a factor in his decision...but I think for a dude like TP he cares more about the experiential opportunity of his last year of eligibility. basically, I think it'd be more fun to be the sixth man for a top 25 ranked team playing in front of a full house of 19K a night knowing you'll almost certainly have an NCAA tournament game than being the star for a "mid-major" in a 1/3rd full arena with a coin-flip chance of dancing in March.

everyone wants to scape-goat NIL here. but a lot more needs to be done in all aspects of the program if you really want to keep this from happening here. 

The crazy thing is that it happens other places as well.  Good players only have one shot to do their business and the NIL opportunity is always going to be there.  Bigger schools have the issue of losing players to the NBA.  I have seen that occur at places like Texas quite often with players like Mo Bamba only being there one year.