Aune Enters the Portal

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm not going to trash this kid man. He did his best while he was here, and he did win some games for UNT. I wish him the best and thank him for trying. 

Absolutely agree. People are going to rip on this guy all day long but odds are he is going to go P5 as a starter just like his 2020 co-starter Jason Bean did and make us all look foolish again.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I know you're half kidding, but has anyone ever considered his baseball money is running out?

27 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

How far could you stretch 1 mil?

Judging by his comments last year and the fact that he has purchased a house, it seems likely he has. Also when you consider 1 mil after taxes is more like $650K, and that was 10 years ago.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Absolutely agree. People are going to rip on this guy all day long but odds are he is going to go P5 as a starter just like his 2020 co-starter Jason Bean did and make us all look foolish again.

I don't think we totally agree. Sure, I believe Aune gave us his best. It wasn't enough, but it was the best he could do, and I can't knock him for that. 

But if Aune wants to start, he probably has to transfer to an FCS program. In our 6 games against Boise, UTSA (twice), Memphis, UNLV, & SMU, Aune threw 11 interceptions. I just can't see any P5 handing this guy their keys.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I don't think we totally agree. Sure, I believe Aune gave us his best. It wasn't enough, but it was the best he could do, and I can't knock him for that. 

But if Aune wants to start, he probably has to transfer to an FCS program. In our 6 games against Boise, UTSA (twice), Memphis, UNLV, & SMU, Aune threw 11 interceptions. I just can't see any P5 handing this guy their keys.

He also has school records for yards and TDs in a season.

One weird thing that I have seen in my college sports fandom: people seem desperate to give experience second chances, no matter what that level the experience was.  I don't know if it is nepotism, a bias, or some other obscure psychology, but it's there.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

He also has school records for yards and TDs in a season.

One weird thing that I have seen in my college sports fandom: people seem desperate to give experience second chances, no matter what that level the experience was.  I don't know if it is nepotism, a bias, or some other obscure psychology, but it's there.

I believe in second chances too, but there comes a point where it should all click. If it isn't clicking by the age of 30, it probably never will, at least not at the FBS level. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Have you seen how many qbs are in the portal. He's not going to learn a new system.  He still not able to be poised with experience.  The most recent lost is evident of this

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I agree, but there comes a point where it should all click. If it isn't clicking by the age of 30, it probably never will, at least not at the FBS level. 

Dude is 2 years younger than me and I've been out of grad school for 6 years. He needs to hang it up

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So you want him back for another year? Seriously…can you honestly say you’d be looking forward to watching him here another season?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

People were saying similar things about Bean when he transferred except with him it wasn’t about the age, it was “he’s a receiver, not a qb”.

I never said he was a receiver, I just said he needed to get better at decision making in the pocket, which he did. He was a much better qb at Kansas then he was here and part of that is offensive scheme and qb coaching.

Edit:

Whoever downvoted this objectively true statement, have a good Christmas please. Clearly you are super bitter. I get downvoting the rest of my stuff, but this one? Really?

Edited by peanuts104
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I never said he was a receiver, I just said he needed to get better at decision making in the pocket, which he did. He was a much better qb at Kansas then he was here and part of that is offensive scheme and qb coaching.

So why couldn’t our all-time single season passing touchdown leading quarterback improve with better quarterback coaching? 

I mean seriously, once he started playing here he had the fine tutelage of Bodie Reeder, Quinn Shanbour, Blake Joseph, Cole Johnson, and Mike Bloesch. That isn’t exactly a whose who of legendary quarterback coaches.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So why couldn’t our all-time single season passing touchdown leading quarterback improve with better quarterback coaching? 

I mean seriously, once he started playing here he had the fine tutelage of Bodie Reeder, Quinn Shanbour, Blake Joseph, Cole Johnson, and Mike Bloesch. That isn’t exactly a whose who of legendary quarterback coaches.

He could, but I'm going to go based on past performance, not potential upside, especially considering, in some ways, Aune regressed from 2021 to 2022 despite the better passing stats (didn't make as many critical mistakes/put the ball in harms way/etc). We need to move on to someone else we can develop for the future.

• Downvote 1