UNT TRANSFER PORTAL ACTIVITY

El Paso Eagle

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is the new normal for G5s in the portal, especially during coaching changes.  Keep in mind that less than half of players that enter the portal find a new place to play.

Are you concerned we will not refill our roster?

I haven't put this altogether, so help me out:

1) Half of these kids don't find a place to plant their feet.  I would think that's because rosters fill up....like ours, no?
2) How does the NCAA limit on scholarship offers play into this?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

Just now, greenminer said:

Are you concerned we will not refill our roster?

I haven't put this altogether, so help me out:

1) Half of these kids don't find a place to plant their feet.  I would think that's because rosters fill up....like ours, no?
2) How does the scholarship limit play into this?

I have no doubt that we will fill out the roster.

Teams can now sign as many players as needed in a single recruiting class beginning with the class of 2023, so long as it does not exceed the number of overall scholarships allowed, which is 85. Up until this rule passed by the NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday, football programs could sign a maximum of 25 in a recruiting cycle.

My reference to the number that get left without is a combination of supply and demand compared to what is open. So now you have FBS. FCS, D5, and HS players competing for the same number of openings.

Only 54% of FBS transfers wound up enrolling at a new school, the NCAA said Monday. About 5% of portal entrants withdrew their names and 41% either stayed in, enrolled at a non-NCAA school or left their sport. The number for FCS players finding a new school look to be around  36%

• 54% reported enrolling at a new school
  • 41% have not found a new school, are still looking, transferred to a non-NCAA school, or left their sport completely
  • 59% of scholarship transfers found a scholarship at a new FBS school
  • 8% left their scholarships and became walk-ons at a new school
  • 33% of players remain without a destination
  • 18% of walk-ons that transferred found a scholarship at a new school
  • About one-third of FCS transfers land a scholarship at a new school
  • 36% of FCS transfers find a new school to sign with at all

There are multiple reasons players enter, but sadly many end up outside FBS, or no longer getting assistance.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just my opinion, but if I'm a G5 school, not sure if I would go after more than a small handful of HS players every year.

This is actually not a bad idea.  Catch players at their second collegiate stops and they have to sit out a year if they decide to leave you too.  That alone will probably keep most of them from leaving your program.

Make a name for developing the talent and this is a real viable recruiting strategy.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For the players that have come here, gave their all, and not bad-mouthed our University - I wish you success and happiness as you move on.

I agree and I’ll add that’s it’s especially true of grad transfers in my opinion.  

If you’ve got your degree, you’re an alumni just the same as the rest of us.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moobs said:

This is actually not a bad idea.  Catch players at their second collegiate stops and they have to sit out a year if they decide to leave you too.  That alone will probably keep most of them from leaving your program.

Make a name for developing the talent and this is a real viable recruiting strategy.

That is obviously true, and Sonny Dykes at SMU realized this pretty much before everyone else, while SL kind of refused to see it the first two years and paid the prize.

However, to play the devils advocate: Those players that you transfer in, they have to develop somewhere first. if all G5s do it like this, then there will not be enough players around for everyone. Sure some of what used to be FBS talent will go to FCS first, but it is unlikely to be enough and P5s are unlikely to be the places that look to develop all those high school players either. The amount of players used in FBS will not actually get reduced however and there will be much less available first time transfers eventually as the years where schools take in less HS players start to add up. This just kind of gets papered over right now (and the portal made worse because of it), because there are sooo many players with extra eligbility because of the COVID year. That year of extra eligibility may have been fair to the players that played 2020, but it was completely unfair to the guys who are coming in in 2023. In any case, at some point the pendulum may swing the other way, as the available talent out of high school gets better and better because sooo many schools bypass it to fill up on the portal. Still, in the future going the high school route will indeed be super risky for G5s who will not have the NIL game to keep them from transferring to a P5.

Edited by outoftown

I follow recruiting for most of the Texas teams and Sonny is going to do well in the portal again. TCU just landed a 5 star receiver from Bama. Warning, some of you are not going to like the group that SMU is going to sign tomorrow. According to the recruiting services, this is probably their best haul ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, dodgefan said:

I follow recruiting for most of the Texas teams and Sonny is going to do well in the portal again. TCU just landed a 5 star receiver from Bama. Warning, some of you are not going to like the group that SMU is going to sign tomorrow. According to the recruiting services, this is probably their best haul ever.

They have basically become Little Coral Gables 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dodgefan said:

Noticed the same thing. At least on paper it looks like a monster of a class

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

How's Westlake's class coming along?  Oh, and SLC's.

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

ralphie oh fudge GIF

I think this is a clear sign that Morris won't use a traditional TE, as was the Wagner de-commit.  Gumms is more of an H-Back type and probably fits what Morris likes to do.  This could be a good sign for Christian Lee, as I thought he was kind of in between on size, not heavy enough to play a traditional TE, but not fast enough to be a WR.  I really hope he and Gumms stand out.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking as well. With the way Roberts blocks and catches the ball, he should go to a Big 10 school. I could see him playing at the next level.

• Upvote 1