I want more of a brainy coach

meanJewGreen

I feel like a lot of football coaches (high school, college and Pro) are kind of the same- meathead, cliche, same ole ideas.

There's something about Grant McCasland, in that he's a sales guy, brainy, but also appeals to the faith-based (goes over big in Texas) crowd as well. He's a big motivator as well. 

I tend to think of Wren Baker as a thinker as well (with an aptitude for sales) 

At UNT, we need someone who can do the following:

- Sell the program, and motivate people to come (we're a fickle bunch) 

- Understand our limitations and find creativity around it 

- Really be a catalyst for community engagement

- Be a personality

- Be a thinker when it comes to promotions

I never thought Dodge, Dickey (he had a personality, not the right one), McCarney (salesman, but not aware of modern trends) or Littrell had any of these. Sonny Dykes had some at SMU. 

Who else has these? 

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

I feel like a lot of football coaches (high school, college and Pro) are kind of the same- meathead, cliche, same ole ideas.

There's something about Grant McCasland, in that he's a sales guy, brainy, but also appeals to the faith-based (goes over big in Texas) crowd as well. He's a big motivator as well. 

I tend to think of Wren Baker as a thinker as well (with an aptitude for sales) 

At UNT, we need someone who can do the following:

- Sell the program, and motivate people to come (we're a fickle bunch) 

- Understand our limitations and find creativity around it 

- Really be a catalyst for community engagement

- Be a personality

- Be a thinker when it comes to promotions

I never thought Dodge, Dickey (he had a personality, not the right one), McCarney (salesman, but not aware of modern trends) or Littrell had any of these. Sonny Dykes had some at SMU. 

Who else has these? 

Seth is a smart guy. Intelligence is not a probably.

He has the personality of a rock.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

We must get this hire right.  WE MUST!  

Bring in another P5 guy who when things don’t go as planned will look down his nose at what he doesn’t have compared to his prior job, or who has never built a program and won, or a bland personality that has never had to sell his previous school to anyone to get what he needs and you’ll set us back to 2015.  

@SilverEagle and his 50 plus years of Mean Green fandom will tell you the truth, we have a unique culture here that the next guy must appreciate and be willing to buy into.  

Take 11 or so minutes and listen to this interview.  This is the “Type” we need.  Has built winning football, has won a national championship, sells hiimself, sells his school, sells his community and born and raised in Texas and lives and breaths Texas football culture.

In regards to his players: “We wanna put a ring on their hand and a degree in the other!”

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Bring in another P5 guy who when things don’t go as planned will look down his nose at what he doesn’t have compared to his prior job, or who has never built a program and won, or a bland personality that has never had to sell his previous school to anyone to get what he needs and you’ll set us back to 2015.  

@SilverEagle and his 50 plus years of Mean Green fandom will tell you the truth, we have a unique culture here that the next guy must appreciate and be willing to buy into.  

Take 11 or so minutes and listen to this interview.  This is the “Type” we need.  Has built winning football, has won a national championship, sells hiimself, sells his school, sells his community and born and raised in Texas and lives and breaths Texas football culture.

In regards to his players: “We wanna put a ring on one hand and a diploma in the other!”

Rick

Great post Rick.  Carthel is a guy I could get behind.   My only question is would he be interested in North Texas?  He seems very happy at SFA.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Great post Rick.  Carthel is a guy I could get behind.   My only question is would he be interested in North Texas?  He seems very happy at SFA.

Yes, he has stated a desire to coach here.

Plus, he's from Pumpkin Capital, USA.

Edited by UNTLifer

27 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree.  Certainly can’t hurt to ask, which we failed to do regarding his dad before hiring Dodge.

Rick

Has Colby really done enough at SFA?

Also his dad had only 1 year at WT when we hired Dodge.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

In regards to his players: “We wanna put a ring on their hand and a degree in the other!”

Rick

Seems like a good guy, but 23-22 in the WAC doesn't really inspire me.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

Also his dad had only 1 year at WT when we hired Dodge.... 

Nope!  He had been there for two seasons, going 10-2 and winning the Lone Star Conference Championship in his first year in ‘05, followed by an 11-2 season the next in ‘06.  WT was truly starting to get great crowds for a DII program then, and one of the following seasons after, and while hosting a homecoming game vs Tarleton St, Donny learned the opposing head coach’s wife was battling cancer, and during half time had several of his own players walk up and down the aisles of their stadium asking for donations for her.

Thats the kind of people the Carthels are, winners on and off the field.  They understand the importance of supporting the community they work in and the need of having that community support them back.

“Eastern New MexicoEdit

In 1985 Carthel took over head coaching duties at his alma mater Eastern New Mexico. In his seven seasons the Greyhounds had only one losing season. After a 5–5 record in Carthel's initial season, the Greyhounds were 8–3 in 1986 and 9–2 in '87. They were 2–8 in 1988, but followed with records of 7–3, 6–4 and 7–3–1. In five of Carthel's seven years, the Greyhounds were ranked in the Division II Top 20 Poll. In 1991, the ENMU won the Lone Star Conference championship. Carthel was inducted into the ENMU Hall of Fame in 2001.

Having reached the pinnacle of his career as a head coach, Carthel chose to retire at age 39, and moved back to the family farm in Friona, Texas.[1] He took a pause from football coaching for nine years, before becoming a volunteer coach at Abilene Christian University under head coach Gary Gaines in 2000. Trying to become a head coach again, Carthel applied for the vacant West Texas A&M job in late 2001, but athletic director Ed Harris opted for Ronnie Jones.[2] In 2004 Carthel was named the head coach and general manager of the Amarillo Dusters in their inaugural season in the Intense Football League. Amarillo posted a 15–3 record under Carthel and won the IFL Championship that year.

West Texas A&MEdit

West Texas A&M fired Jones after three unsuccessful seasons, thus Carthel applied for the job again. This time, he was selected as head coach. In his first year, he guided the school to its first Lone Star Conference Championship in 19 years. He then compiled a 33–5 record, which is the highest winning percentage of any West Texas A&M coach since Alonzo P. George's 3–0 record in 1918. As of 2008, only Joe Kerbel (68–42–1) and Frank Kimbrough (54–52–2) won more games for West Texas A&M than Carthel. He also hired his son Colby Carthel as the Defensive coordinator in 2006.[3]

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Seems like a good guy, but 23-22 in the WAC doesn't really inspire me.

Don’t know where your getting that,…SFA didn’t start playing WAC games till ‘21 and conference affiliation till this year and went 3-1, although they were not eligible for the championship.  At least I think that’s how it reads?

Regardless they were caught in the middle of the Covid mess, plus a crazy transitional period that spanned more than one season.  Notice that they had to play ACU twice this year, and finished 6-5 overall.

If you’ll listen to his interview above he explains it better.  

In 2020, his 2nd year they had no conference, so he signed them up to play 4 FBS teams.  Lost by 10 to UTEP, lost by 14 to UTSA and blown out by Memphis & SMU but still finished 6-4.

In 2021 they finished 8-4 including a 28-24 loss at Texas Tech, a 1 point loss against #1 Sam and an OT loss in the playoffs to UIW.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Don’t know where your getting that,…SFA didn’t start playing WAC games till ‘21 and conference affiliation till this year and went 3-1, although they were not eligible for the championship.  At least I think that’s how it reads?

Regardless they were caught in the middle of the Covid mess, plus a crazy transitional period that spanned more than one season.  Notice that they had to play ACU twice this year, and finished 6-5 overall.

If you’ll listen to his interview above he explains it better.  

In 2020, his 2nd year they had no conference, so he signed them up to play 4 FBS teams.  Lost by 10 to UTEP, lost by 14 to UTSA and blown out by Memphis & SMU but still finished 6-4.

In 2021 they finished 8-4 including a 28-24 loss at Texas Tech, a 1 point loss against #1 Sam and an OT loss in the playoffs to UIW.

Rick

Maybe I mid-read his Wikipedia page but his conference record at SFA showed 23-22. My apologies if it was not all in the WAC. Also I did listen to his interview. Seems like a stand up guy

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Maybe I mid-read his Wikipedia page but his conference record at SFA UNT showed 23-22 44-44. My apologies if it was not all in the WAC C-USA. Also I did listen to his interview. Seems like a stand up guy.

My man, you just described Seth Littrell.

UNT can, and I promise y'all, WILL, do so much better than Colby Carthel.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My man, you just described Seth Littrell.

UNT can, and I promise y'all, WILL, do so much better than Colby Carthel.

Highly doubt it, hopefully we don’t lock a bunch of money up in a “big boy” contract that we ruin all recovery chances, once we realize we screwed ourselves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

17 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I know UNT will probably never go the HS coach route again (lessons harshly learned), but Chris Ross at Lovejoy would fit that bill too.  Marcus Trice was one of his assistants last year before he left for his current gig at SFA.

Edited by jredallas
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, jredallas said:

I know UNT will probably never go the HS coach route again (lessons harshly learned), but Chris Ross at Lovejoy would fit that bill too.  Marcus Trice was one of his assistants last year before he left for his current gig at SFA.

UNLV failed with the Tony Sanchez high school hire as well. 

Honestly, I think the best way to go about it for high school coaches is the Traylor/McGuire route- High school HC, then prominent positions on a college staff, then College HC. This way, you understand the infrastructure. 

Dodge did a lot of good things off the field (Stadium) but a high school scheme that doesn't adjust doesnt work 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Lol I have to come back to this. How does his face look so similar?

Meme Man - Wikipedia

this is exactly what i was thinking of. Colby Carthel is the human form of that thing from I, Robot. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Could there be any one more verbally opposite to SL anywhere in the coaching profession? His dad is very much like him. When his dad took over at WTAM, he took a tour of every community club in the Canyon/Amarillo area to deliver the message that "We want to be your team", and then he would pin a WTAM pin on the lapel of anyone who stopped to talk with him.

C.Carthel knows TEXAS. He understands the importance of COMMUNITY, and between Colby and his dad, they probably know just about every coach and assistant coach in the state of Texas. 

FWIW, Jared Mosley's program at ACU went up against the Carthels several years and had some epic games. 

FWIW (2) whilst talking with some alums at the spring game, the name of Carthel came up. The mother of one of our starters heard the name and said "You leave him alone. My other son plays for him and he just loves the guy"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2