Report: Houston and Cincinnati Expected to Receive Big 12 Invites

BillySee58

15 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

That said, I get sad about Cincy.  We beat Cincy square  and fare in the New Orleans bowl and showed that we had a much bigger fanbase.  When I see what Cincy has done it makes me mad because it feels like we squandered some opportunities along the way.

Agree. A big reason they're moving up is they have made some really good coaching hires since then...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

21 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Congrats to Houston as they are so deserving.  That said, I get sad about Cincy.  We beat Cincy square  and fare in the New Orleans bowl and showed that we had a much bigger fanbase.  When I see what Cincy has done it makes me mad because it feels like we squandered some opportunities along the way.

We used to be in the old MVC together, and look at Cincy now. Kind of reminds me of that scene from the 1960 film "Inherit the Wind" when Matthew Brady (Fredrick March) and Henry Drummond (Spencer Tracy) and sitting on a porch rocking and talking about their relationship.....

Matthew Harrison Brady : Why is it, my old friend, that you've moved so far away from me?

Henry Drummond : All motion is relative, Matt. Maybe it's you who've moved away by standing still.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Basically, it’s BYU, UH, Cincy, and UCF for now. If and when anyone else leaves, I suspect Memphis and USF will be next in line.

What I think we might end up seeing is the B12 and AAC basically merging if a couple of the remaining B12 teams find a new Home. The there will be realignment between the remaining four (MWC, USA, Sun Belt, and MAC). 

• Downvote 2

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

What I think we might end up seeing is the B12 and AAC basically merging if a couple of the remaining B12 teams find a new Home. The there will be realignment between the remaining four (MWC, USA, Sun Belt, and MAC). 

I don’t see the MWC or MAC realigning, as they already have the geography right. The SBCUSA should’ve realigned years ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It really sucks that this is happening as North Texas is coming off back-to-back 4-win seasons.

If this were happening in 2018, we would be in a much better spot.

Wren needs to understand that this season MUST BE make or break for Littrell.    North Texas cannot afford to sit back and wait through more losing seasons while all of this shifting/movement is happening around by PEER INSTITUTIONS.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I suspect CUSA will lose 1 or 2 members and may look to replace them. I think our best bet is also "thinking about basketball" and making the CUSA a strong basketball conference again. No names immediately come to mind but I bet we could pick someone off by offering a promotion in football like we did with Old Dominion, or even offering "basketball only" invitations. VCU? Wichita State?

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I suspect CUSA will lose 1 or 2 members and may look to replace them. I think our best bet is also "thinking about basketball" and making the CUSA a strong basketball conference again. No names immediately come to mind but I bet we could pick someone off by offering a promotion in football like we did with Old Dominion, or even offering "basketball only" invitations. VCU? Wichita State?

VCU is already in a "basketball conference":  The A-10.  C-USA is not poaching any schools from the A-10 for a basketball presence.  This would be considered a step down by those schools.
Wichita State already took advantage of an AAC 'basketball-only' invite.  They aren't moving down to C-USA.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

VCU is already in a "basketball conference":  The A-10.  C-USA is not poaching any schools from the A-10 for a basketball presence.  This would be considered a step down by those schools.
Wichita State already took advantage of an AAC 'basketball-only' invite.  They aren't moving down to C-USA.

I'm out of touch with everyone's circumstances these days, but just examples of the types of schools I'd like to see targeted if they would be interested. Sounds like the AAC is taking advantage of the same strategy and has had success with it. I think any conference not in the new P4 will be a "basketball" conference, so would make sense to make that the focus.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree with MAC probably being set, but I still think the MWC would like to have a Texas presence. 

I’d love to think so. I’ve been on the MWC bandwagon since TCU was in it. When they left, I always thought we’d be a great fit there, but the MWC made absolutely no effort to suggest they are interested in anyone in CUSA to join them. They may have been waiting on the Big XII imploding, but it looks like the AAC will implode instead.

TCU showed us that Texas HS recruits could dominate the western teams with the right coach. Maybe we just can’t match what they accomplished, but I’d sure like to have the chance. But you’ll see that many will compare this to the old Big West days of the 90s and complain about time zones and newspaper deadlines for Sunday coverage, as if it’s still 1996. It’s the epitome of short-sightedness, but it’s what the clear majority believes here,  it to mention they like driveable games.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

At some point the "UTEP is too far west" has to be addressed. If UTEP stays does CUSA consider NMSU? I know their FB is bad but they are a good BB school?

PS - I am biased on this 😈

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I watched UCF last night because my son just began grad school there. They have created quite the scene there. A crowd that looked as young as any in college football was rocking the Bounce House, which is what they call the place because it literally bounces as the crowd jumps up and down.

• Upvote 2