Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Deonte on the inside WR and Jyaire on the outside.  Who else starts?  The dude from Georgia? Caleb, Bryson or DT Brown?

Looks like Loronzo Thompson was the huddle 1 slot receiver in spring.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Looks like Loronzo Thompson was the huddle 1 slot receiver in spring.

I am a huge fan of this  young man.  Recruited as a WR, ended up being our best cover CB and is now back at WR.  Underrated and is going to produce this year.

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Deonte on the inside WR and Jyaire on the outside.  Who else starts?  The dude from Georgia? Caleb, Bryson or DT Brown?

This just made me realize, the WR room is extremely deep. I don’t think we will be running as many 4 WR sets, so the depth is insane. I would imagine Thompson and Brown in the slot with Shorter, Simpson and Bush on the outside. Maybe have Caleb return kicks and punts like JD did his freshman year.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a huge fan of this  young man.  Recruited as a WR, ended up being our best cover CB and is now back at WR.  Underrated and is going to produce this year.

Are you sure the player you are thinking of isn't Detraveon Brown?  He seemed to be getting a lot of the praise during spring training.

  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Are you sure the player you are thinking of isn't Detraveon Brown?  He seemed to be getting a lot of the praise during spring training.

Did Detraveon Brown move to defensive back last year and play quite a bit at the end of the year (especially after Upton Stout got hurt) like Loronzo Thompson did?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Are you sure the player you are thinking of isn't Detraveon Brown?  He seemed to be getting a lot of the praise during spring training.

Brown red-shirted last year.  Thompson played and surprised a lot of people.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This, on paper, is the best group of receivers that we have ever had and likely the best among the G5 teams.  We have nine 3 star receivers and several walk-ons that could also contribute if given the chance.

Looking at it from their best 247 combined averages, here's our receiving corps:

.9222  Tommy Bush ...the tallest (6-5) and among our fastest receivers.  The highest rated receiver in our history with 247.

.8817  Bryce Jackson...I believe that he was the best receiver in the spring scrimmage and caught several with the defender hanging all over him. 

.8796  Caleb Johnson...the rating is for cornerback but he also is an outstanding receiver.  I believe that we got the Oklahoma commitment because he wanted to play wide receiver.

.8519  De'Traveon Brown...was redshirted last year after choosing UNT over about nine other offers (including La Tech).

.8499  Deonte Simpson...our leading returning receiver, and was second only to Darden last year.

.8356  Loronzo Thompson...was pressured into service as a defensive back last year.  This year he will be returned to wide receiver where he excels.

.8336  Damon Ward...was injured when he came here but has recuperated and played in the spring scrimmage.  

.8315  Zhighlil McMillian...was the only receiver that committed and stuck with us throughout the recruiting process.  He'll likely be red-shirted this year after the influx of transfers, flip and recoveries.

.8185  Jyaire Shorter...was hurt in his third game and sat out the rest of the season.  He didn't score a touchdown but had four long catches.  His lower rating could have been due to that rating was at tight end where he was on the smallish side.

We have several that were not rated who I believe could be contributors if they get a chance.  Roderic Burns was actually the fourth leading receiver last year and has contributed well when called upon.  Finn Corwin walked on at Oklahoma last year and transferred to North Texas this spring.  I remember one very nice catch that he made in the spring scrimmage.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

This, on paper, is the best group of receivers that we have ever had and likely the best among the G5 teams.  We have nine 3 star receivers and several walk-ons that could also contribute if given the chance.

Looking at it from their best 247 combined averages, here's our receiving corps:

.9222  Tommy Bush ...the tallest (6-5) and among our fastest receivers.  The highest rated receiver in our history with 247.

.8817  Bryce Jackson...I believe that he was the best receiver in the spring scrimmage and caught several with the defender hanging all over him. 

.8796  Caleb Johnson...the rating is for cornerback but he also is an outstanding receiver.  I believe that we got the Oklahoma commitment because he wanted to play wide receiver.

.8519  De'Traveon Brown...was redshirted last year after choosing UNT over about nine other offers (including La Tech).

.8499  Deonte Simpson...our leading returning receiver, and was second only to Darden last year.

.8356  Loronzo Thompson...was pressured into service as a defensive back last year.  This year he will be returned to wide receiver where he excels.

.8336  Damon Ward...was injured when he came here but has recuperated and played in the spring scrimmage.  

.8315  Zhighlil McMillian...was the only receiver that committed and stuck with us throughout the recruiting process.  He'll likely be red-shirted this year after the influx of transfers, flip and recoveries.

.8185  Jyaire Shorter...was hurt in his third game and sat out the rest of the season.  He didn't score a touchdown but had four long catches.  His lower rating could have been due to that rating was at tight end where he was on the smallish side.

We have several that were not rated who I believe could be contributors if they get a chance.  Roderic Burns was actually the fourth leading receiver last year and has contributed well when called upon.  Finn Corwin walked on at Oklahoma last year and transferred to North Texas this spring.  I remember one very nice catch that he made in the spring scrimmage.  

I hope they learned sharing is caring in elementary. After all, there's only 1 ball. 

Hopefully 1 or 2 emerge as dudes that are every down guys and the other positions can be rotated through. Given our offense and offensive success, this position group should always be stacked. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

This, on paper, is the best group of receivers that we have ever had and likely the best among the G5 teams.  We have nine 3 star receivers and several walk-ons that could also contribute if given the chance.

Looking at it from their best 247 combined averages, here's our receiving corps:

.9222  Tommy Bush ...the tallest (6-5) and among our fastest receivers.  The highest rated receiver in our history with 247.

.8817  Bryce Jackson...I believe that he was the best receiver in the spring scrimmage and caught several with the defender hanging all over him. 

.8796  Caleb Johnson...the rating is for cornerback but he also is an outstanding receiver.  I believe that we got the Oklahoma commitment because he wanted to play wide receiver.

.8519  De'Traveon Brown...was redshirted last year after choosing UNT over about nine other offers (including La Tech).

.8499  Deonte Simpson...our leading returning receiver, and was second only to Darden last year.

.8356  Loronzo Thompson...was pressured into service as a defensive back last year.  This year he will be returned to wide receiver where he excels.

.8336  Damon Ward...was injured when he came here but has recuperated and played in the spring scrimmage.  

.8315  Zhighlil McMillian...was the only receiver that committed and stuck with us throughout the recruiting process.  He'll likely be red-shirted this year after the influx of transfers, flip and recoveries.

.8185  Jyaire Shorter...was hurt in his third game and sat out the rest of the season.  He didn't score a touchdown but had four long catches.  His lower rating could have been due to that rating was at tight end where he was on the smallish side.

We have several that were not rated who I believe could be contributors if they get a chance.  Roderic Burns was actually the fourth leading receiver last year and has contributed well when called upon.  Finn Corwin walked on at Oklahoma last year and transferred to North Texas this spring.  I remember one very nice catch that he made in the spring scrimmage.  

Add in our TE's Roberts, Pirtle, Alberding, Lyles and Lee, plus Addaway and Torrey out of our backfield and this is by far the deepest we have ever been at the skill positions.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, UNTLifer said:

this is by far the deepest we have ever been at the skill positions

Agree cepr for the fact the GOAT UNT QB is not here.  I would argue QB is considered a skill position no?

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meangreen11 said:

Agree cepr for the fact the GOAT UNT QB is not here.  I would argue QB is considered a skill position no?

Yeah... but the Goat never had a viable back-up while here... now we likely have two decent options. Aune numbers wise, was comparable to almost any QB in CUSA last year. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 6:39 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope they learned sharing is caring in elementary. After all, there's only 1 ball. 

Hopefully 1 or 2 emerge as dudes that are every down guys and the other positions can be rotated through. Given our offense and offensive success, this position group should always be stacked. 

I'm sure that they will share; I was just pointing the talent that is available.  The usage is up to Tommy Mainord.  I have been pleased with Coach Mainord.  He has developed several good receivers each year.  I feel sure that he will give adequate playing time to the best receivers but he has enough depth to keep fresh legs when necessary.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Yeah... but the Goat never had a viable back-up while here... now we likely have two decent options. Aune numbers wise, was comparable to almost any QB in CUSA last year. 

Austin Aune had the highest Passing Rating in CUSA last year.  I used Passing Rating instead of yardage because some quarterbacks only had seven games and one had twelve games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

Agree cepr for the fact the GOAT UNT QB is not here.  I would argue QB is considered a skill position no?

Deepest

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Coach Andy Mac
      LINK:  https://www.kark.com/pig-trail-nation/jeremiah-hughes-makes-good-impression-at-arkansas-football-camp-on-friday-hogs-interested/
      FAYETTEVILLE — Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman Class of 2023 three-star athlete Jeremiah Hughes camped at Arkansas on Friday.
      Hughes, 6-0, 165, got to see Arkansas and attend the camp on Friday. Following the camp, Hughes talked about his impressions of Arkansas.
      “I love the facility,” Hughes said. “It looks great. I like it out here. I like the weather – it felt way better than Vegas, for sure. I love it.”
      What were your impressions of the camp?
      “I think it was a great camp,” Hughes said. “I like how all the coaches were so into it. I like all the coaching staff. It was organized. It went well.”
      As an athlete, Hughes got to know both Kenny Guiton (wide receivers) and Sam Carter (cornerbacks).
      “I like both of them,” Hughes said. “They’re great dudes. I like the way their coaching style is. They’re really into it and like talking to us, correcting what we got and don’t got, our mistakes and all that.”
      Hughes currently holds offers from such schools as Arizona, Arizona State, UNLV, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, North Texas and Alabama A&M. Do you think Arkansas may extend one?
    • By meangreen11
      read more: https://www.rockmnation.com/2021/6/17/22524398/2021-football-opponent-previews-north-texas-mean-green
    • By meangreen11
      Denton Record-Chronicle journalists won a combined 15 awards for their work during 2020 in honors announced Tuesday afternoon by the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors.
      Reporters, editors and photographers were judged against their peers at all newspapers in the state with a circulation under 10,000.
      Veteran sports reporter Brett Vito won first place in Deadline Writing for his coverage of the resignation of former University of North Texas assistant football coach Tate Wallis.
      He also earned first place in Feature Series for his coverage of how UNT’s athletics program had been navigating the pandemic, and fellow reporter Marshall Reid won third in the same category for his series that profiled area students and their own struggles amid the pandemic.
      read more:  https://dentonrc.com/news/record-chronicle-wins-15-state-journalism-awards/article_97a892f0-624b-5f75-9720-d4841529ac7b.html
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 215 Guests (See full list)

  • Images



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.