'18 DT Darren Brown (Judson)

TheReal_jayD

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. 

But this staff does not have the suave and/or saviness to out recruit other programs. But hey, I'm sure we'll land the hell out of some kids with Corpus Christi and Commerce offers. Maybe even an ACU sprinkled in too. 

Do you really believe the stupid crap you write? If so why support UNT?

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

So when I first heard about him choosing to visit SMU instead of us I was pissed literally thinking to myself GTFO.

But, after some time this kid is playing the system which he should.  Before initially coming to visit he had 2 scholarship offers that matter (speculation just go along) UTEP & UNT.  So he has 2 schools to decide between.  By choosing to visit SMUt he gained a 3rd option.

I think about searching for a job and the more options you have the better informed your decision can be.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

So when I first heard about him choosing to visit SMU instead of us I was pissed literally thinking to myself GTFO.

But, after some time this kid is playing the system which he should.  Before initially coming to visit he had 2 scholarship offers that matter (speculation just go along) UTEP & UNT.  So he has 2 schools to decide between.  By choosing to visit SMUt he gained a 3rd option.

I think about searching for a job and the more options you have the better informed your decision can be.  

Very true.  But wouldn’t it have been a lot better for him to show up for that 3rd interview?

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Very true.  But wouldn’t it have been a lot better for him to show up for that 3rd interview?

Yeah that would have been a lot better but now he has his "3 offers" (again i do not know if he has other offers) now he can make an informed decision on which team is best for his playing career and after.

44 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Yeah that would have been a lot better but now he has his "3 offers" (again i do not know if he has other offers) now he can make an informed decision on which team is best for his playing career and after.

Hopefully he actually thinks the process through. I will never be sure what the infatuation is with SMU. They are have beens that have such a minuscule following. Their homes games are an embarrassment and they play decent teams. Their home slate is typically filled with teams that in my opinion would be pretty good 1 and 1's for UNT and UNT would pull 25K+ to these games. Meanwhile, they struggle to truly get 15K in their stadium, regardless of what is being announced. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Hopefully he actually thinks the process through. I will never be sure what the infatuation is with SMU. 

My question about SMU is the fit. Growing up in Dallas, I've experienced the culture and it's just not the right fit for everybody. We've seen the news stories of racism and other types of discrimination going on at SMU. That alone would make SMU a "no" for me. I know not everybody who goes to SMU is like that, I've known good people who went there, but it's still on going problem they've had.

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

My question about SMU is the fit. Growing up in Dallas, I've experienced the culture and it's just not the right fit for everybody. We've seen the news stories of racism and other types of discrimination going on at SMU. That alone would make SMU a "no" for me. I know not everybody who goes to SMU is like that, I've known good people who went there, but it's still on going problem they've had.

I think that's stereotypical for us to assume that SMU is filled with a bunch of racists. But at the same time, kids just can't assume that's a better decision because of just "reasons." They are in a better and more competitive conference. Other than that, there are ZERO reasons as to why someone would pick SMU over UNT. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think that's stereotypical for us to assume that SMU is filled with a bunch of racists. But at the same time, kids just can't assume that's a better decision because of just "reasons." They are in a better and more competitive conference. Other than that, there are ZERO reasons as to why someone would pick SMU over UNT. 

some people want the product that has a bigger price tag just because it has a bigger price tag, not because it looks or performs better.

• Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

some people want the product that has a bigger price tag just because it has a bigger price tag, not because it looks or performs better.

I have always argued this gives the private schools an advantage.  Their sticker price is higher than the public schools.

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Another thing SMU can pitch that we can’t is the draft prospects. Sutton is a top pick, and Lawyer (think that’s how it’s spelt) the DL will be another pick ontop of other talent that have produced such as the DL Hunt that plays for the Bengals. 

UNT needs to be highlighting the DL rotation and how he would slot in with his size (likely as a 2/3) team DT depending on how they redo the DL groups and English’s recovery.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

If you re-read my post, you would see that I said not everybody that goes there is racist and that wasn't what I was saying. At the same time they have had some problems involving racism in the past couple years and It's something I would hope athletes are taking into consideration when deciding where they want to spend the next 4 to 5 years of their life. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If you re-read my post, you would see that I said not everybody that goes there is racist and that wasn't what I was saying. At the same time they have had some problems involving racism in the past couple years and It's something I would hope athletes are taking into consideration when deciding where they want to spend the next 4 to 5 years of their life. 

It’s likely something that isn’t even brought up and kids are not aware of if they are not local kids. 

22 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. 

But this staff does not have the suave and/or saviness to out recruit other programs. But hey, I'm sure we'll land the hell out of some kids with Corpus Christi and Commerce offers. Maybe even an ACU sprinkled in too. 

Says the guy who doesn't realize we've beat out a P5 for several kids.  🙄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Says the guy who doesn't realize we've beat out a P5 for several kids.  🙄

Williams, Davis, and Gibbs.. 2 of them only had Illinois. 

Not to be that guy, but we have only landed 1 recruit with multiple P5 offers.. others are in our conference are getting multiple kids with multiple P5 offers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

On the bright side it's not like we had been recruiting him for months. Still baffling what draws anyone to SMU football. It must be the conference and nothing else. 

Conference, impact players to the next level, also having the kid come to campus compared to a in home visit and text/calls is a big advantage.

• Upvote 1