'18 DT Darren Brown (Judson)

TheReal_jayD

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Watching his tape, you could see he was a very talented kid. He has impressive size, quickness for a DL, and held a P5 offer at one time. Yes he got a bump (likely) for picking SMU over UNT, but Shaw is still a 3* since he committed to UNT. 

The point is, if SMU offered a present day scholarship and we offered one in a few months (Blueshirt) it hurts because he is someone that could have played a critical role likely in a year or 2. 

If you have no scholarships left who do you take their scholly away? Shorter? No. Morris? No. I think brown is a project. He could develop into something for sure. But our class is full and SMUT is scrambling. 

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

If you have no scholarships left who do you take their scholly away? Shorter? No. Morris? No. I think brown is a project. He could develop into something for sure. But our class is full and SMUT is scrambling. 

So you're saying we shouldn't be expecting any more recruits to sign tomorrow?

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

With the thousands of recruits being recruited each year, I imagine you can name at least 50. Just don't put Darren Brown on that list, because he doesn't fit the mold. As I am sure others of your 50 wouldn't either. 

And what mold is that? Have offers.  They dry up and you have utep and SMU offers and you are a 3 star? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

I totally agree, and you don’t take it away from shorter and it depends on Morris. His only other active offer was Texas State.. Could we have potentially offered him a Blueshirt and added Brown? We will never know, but we were handicapped in terms of signings after some the scholarships we gave out. (I won’t get into a long rant but the HS OL left a lot to be desired and in my opinion the PWO from rice is a better get because of his other G5 offer and Crosby didn’t seem to have much of a following and could have been another Blueshirt if done correctly.)

Brown may have been a project, but the kid was viewed as aP5 talent  potentially and very impressive tape for his size. The thing is, we will always another recruit we like once all the spaces are filled, and that’s what happened here. 

• Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

What I am saying is if Gary Wiley is a 3 star than Larry Nixon and Jordan Hunt are three stars.  

Neither Jordan Hunt or Larry Nixon have reported offers, FCS and D2 included, other than from us. Gary Wiley at least had 4 FCS offers before landing the SMU offer, reportedly. 

And the mold I am referring to is that Brown had interest and offers from P5's long before SMU came into the picture. But they seemingly dried up and hen he just had UTEP as his lone legitimate offer before UNT and SMU came along at around the same time, which gave him that microscopic boost up to a 3-star as it rightfully should have. To be frank, given his previous interest, he should have probably been a three star from the get go given his offers from Virginia and Tulane. Then he undoubtedly should be now that SMU and UNT jumped in late on him. Offers and stars go hand-in-hand. They almost always do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I mean, do you believe this stuff you type? SMU is sitting at an 81+ average with 13/16 of their commits as three stars. They are not scrambling, they are easily out recruiting UNT right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I'll let others know that I am where I am despite the albatross of my North Texas degree

I am proud to be a UNT graduate class of 66'. But we don't,in my experience, have the networking in DFW that some of the other schools do. I was responding to a post that stated there was no reason to pick SMU over UNT, and sharing my experience.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I mean, do you believe this stuff you type? SMU is sitting at an 81+ average with 13/16 of their commits as three stars. They are not scrambling, they are easily out recruiting UNT right now. 

Benny boy I am saying they are scrambling to complete class. They have 9 spots open day before signing day. And don't give me they have 13 3 stars.... 5 of those were 2 stars or unrated a week ago. When you have a paid guy Billy Embody working for 247 it has that effect. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I am trying to understand the point you are trying to make.  What I see in your example is that 247 gave the kid their lowest rating of 70/2 stars and the other services did not rank him, therefore there is no composite ranking.

All of the services do not always rank the same kids.  Each year they each rank about 3k kids as I mentioned before.  There is a lot of overlap with the highest rated players and less overlap among the lower rated players.

Magically, the top ~1% (although this percentage keeps getting diluted to more like 2%) of all kids ranked are their 5 star (or top ranking) players, next ~10% are 4 star,  next 40% are 3 star, and the rest that they rank (remaining ~50%) are 2 stars (occasionally some 1 star rankings, but not that often).  Some services do not even use stars and instead assign a numerical ranking.

In order to maintain a shred of integrity, the ranking services will often move players down in order to make room for players that had their rankings increased.

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

With the thousands of recruits being recruited each year, I imagine you can name at least 50. Just don't put Darren Brown on that list, because he doesn't fit the mold. As I am sure others of your 50 wouldn't either. 

So when UNT recruits a 2* player we are going after bad players, but other schools are OK since their 2* players are really just underrated? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So when UNT recruits a 2* player we are going after bad players, but other schools are OK since their 2* players are really just underrated? 

Hmmm..Given his current example of players yes, absolutely. They are higher regarded in the college coaching community thus they have more interest thus they are *probably* better players. 

• Downvote 2

21 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Offers and stars go hand-in-hand. They almost always do. 

And this is why I usually don't like the star system once below the 4 or 5 star/can't miss level.  IMHO, stars should reflect a player's ability not his offers.

Edited by UNTLifer

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And this is why I usually don't like the star system once below the 4 or 5 star/can't miss level.  IMHO, stars should reflect a player's ability not his ability.

I don't have much of an issue with it so as long as usually lines up. More offers from coaching staffs is going to be indicative of what kind of player people are after. 

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

IMHO, stars should reflect a player's ability not his ability.

Whoa.. kinda makes you rethink everything you ever thought you knew about recruiting. I also love that Ben didn't miss a beat anyway with a reply. This is some tasty sports discourse!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And this is why I usually don't like the star system once below the 4 or 5 star/can't miss level.  IMHO, stars should reflect a player's ability not his ability.

My goodness.  What dumbass wrote that?  Fixed.

Edited by UNTLifer