Good article on lack of power 5 bowl eligible teams

THOR

15 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

please not army again in a bowl game since we play them the last game of the year.

please don't send us to the cotton bowl (hod) again.  Lets have a change of scenery.  

Well, the way things are shaping up, I suspect we will (assuming we reach bowl eligibility) end up in Frisco or the HOD, as each will have 1-2 at large spots.  

I just can't imagine anyone thinking a North Texas-Army part IV is a good idea.  But, if we pack Apogee in November and play a competitive game, the Armed Forces Bowl and CUSA may actually lobby hard for it.  Of course, if we somehow end up winning the conference championship, then we might choose to leave the DFW area. 

The next month should prove to be very interesting. . . 

• Upvote 4

I am pulling hard, as are the rest of us, to win the CUSA title!   That would be aazing.

If that doesn't happen I am afraid my only opportunity to see my team in a bow would be in the DFW area....   cant say I am against a change of scenery, but I can't bitch about another bowl trip either, especially one that I could be in attendance for!

• Lovely Take 4

5 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Well, the way things are shaping up, I suspect we will (assuming we reach bowl eligibility) end up in Frisco or the HOD, as each will have 1-2 at large spots.  

I just can't imagine anyone thinking a North Texas-Army part IV is a good idea.  But, if we pack Apogee in November and play a competitive game, the Armed Forces Bowl and CUSA may actually lobby hard for it.  Of course, if we somehow end up winning the conference championship, then we might choose to leave the DFW area. 

I think the AAC and the Sun Belt have claimed the Frisco Bowl 

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

I just can't imagine anyone thinking a North Texas-Army part IV is a good idea.  But, if we pack Apogee in November and play a competitive game, the Armed Forces Bowl and CUSA may actually lobby hard for it.

The real decider here is of of course ESPN. And boy howdy would ESPN enjoy the unique story line for us to play Army four times in an odd way.

49 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

CUSA will not send UNT to Frisco because of the # of fans UNT would have shutout.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

The real decider here is of of course ESPN. And boy howdy would ESPN enjoy the unique story line for us to play Army four times in an odd way.

ESPN still wouldn't care about that story line.  They'll be busy on their knees hyping the playoff with Alabama. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

please not army again in a bowl game since we play them the last game of the year.

please don't send us to the cotton bowl (hod) again.  Lets have a change of scenery.  

Let's go where we have the most exposure, biggest payout and can bring the most fans. If we have a choice at all.

• Upvote 4

what is the pay out for HOD vs Frisco Bowl.  If the money is the same lets go to Frisco and give the season ticket holders first shot at the tickets and everyone else can get whats left.  If they can't support uno at home why worry about their ass at the bowl game.  Support the school or get the left overs.

• Upvote 1

When we get to the point we're going to bowl games three or four years in a row, THEN we can start getting picky. Now they are so few and far between that any bowl looks good compared to staying at home. No, I don't want the Bahamas or Hawaii, but I would say stay home rather than go to either of those. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

what is the pay out for HOD vs Frisco Bowl.  If the money is the same lets go to Frisco and give the season ticket holders first shot at the tickets and everyone else can get whats left.  If they can't support uno at home why worry about their ass at the bowl game.  Support the school or get the left overs.

The way CUSA has things set up, payout doesn't matter very much at all. All bowl payouts go into a pool that first covers teams expenses and this is shared by all 14 members with the bowl teams getting an extra share.

Bowl payouts are frequently with funny money anyway. For example the might "payout" $250K but charge you $100K in expenses for hotels, meals, etc. People used to complain about the "low payout" of the New Orleans Bowl but their pay out didn't have any deductions. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

CUSA will not send UNT to Frisco because of the # of fans UNT would have shutout.. 

On the other hand, send us to the New Mexico Bowl and it's an empty stadium. Pick you poison. Empty stadium or full.

(If we played Frisco I'd put tv's in party areas around toyota stadium like the cowboys do. Looks good on tv.)

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

They are already selling tickets. They couldn't care less about a single schools season tickets holders vs other paying customers. What about the other school's season ticket holders? Or students? Or local promotions? Or companies? The world doesn't revolve around season ticket holders.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

On the other hand, send us to the New Mexico Bowl and it's an empty stadium. Pick you poison. Empty stadium or full.

(If we played Frisco I'd put tv's in party areas around toyota stadium like the cowboys do. Looks good on tv.)

Again, they would likely send UNT to Armed Forces, or HoD/Independence if they open up for CUSA..

UNT has drawn well in local games and bowls aware of that.. Yes, Frisco would like to have UNT but UNT would want a larger venue because of the revenue it would create.. They would rather have 30k at HoD or Armed Forces compared to 15/16 at Frisco because of the other schools allotment. 

I have no idea how LAT traveled to the Armed Forces Bowl last year, but them or UTSA would be a good match likely  for Frisco because of location and likely Hood those schools could fill Frisco. If bowls like Birmingham/Independence open up, it would likely be UAB to Birmingham, LAT to Independence, and UTSA between Frisco/Armed Forces and New Mexico, with UNT getting Armed Forces/HoD again.

from our student attendance this year the Frisco bowl would be fine.  Who would buy tickets not even knowing was playing.  Sure there would be enough the sponsor and companies.  

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

They are already selling tickets. They couldn't care less about a single schools season tickets holders vs other paying customers. What about the other school's season ticket holders? Or students? Or local promotions? Or companies? The world doesn't revolve around season ticket holders.

34 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

from our student attendance this year the Frisco bowl would be fine.  Who would buy tickets not even knowing was playing.  Sure there would be enough the sponsor and companies.  

I have already purchased 2 tkts to the Frisco Bowl....jus in case.  Plus, I live in Frisco, and this is another opportunity to go to a college football game....I really like college football....even if UNT is not playing....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I have already purchased 2 tkts to the Frisco Bowl....jus in case.  Plus, I live in Frisco, and this is another opportunity to go to a college football game....I really like college football....even if UNT is not playing....

How much did it cost, and did it include parking?

Interested for any game, too.