DRC: Breaking news -- English out with broken foot

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You'd have to think so. He's the only one with the size to play Nose, and we need at least a two man rotation there.

Hopefully the re-emergence of Sid Moore softens this blow and can fill the void a bit.

Just when I was building excitement and feeling good about the upcoming season, the "North Texas Curse" comes along and has me putting this song back into my rotation! :[

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

That seems like a dumb rule. Damn you NCAA.

English still has bother 3 (most likely 4, if he wants) with the hardship transfer for him training home because of his dad.

Now a real questions is, who fills in at that back up DT/NG spot??

Does this move Young back? Does this mean that one of the freshman is likely to play this year instead of RSing?

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

English still has bother 3 (most likely 4, if he wants) with the hardship transfer for him training home because of his dad.

Now a real questions is, who fills in at that back up DT/NG spot??

Does this move Young back? Does this mean that one of the freshman is likely to play this year instead of RSing?

None of the Freshmen (Krasniqi, Novil, Reynolds) have the size needed to plug up the middle.  

Any of you with eyes on practice, please let us know who is working in the middle with Tauaalo.

Terrible news. I wish English a quick recovery. On a positive side, I hope he is able to side some quality time with his father while he is recovering.

As for how this will affect the team, It is a big hit. Again, on a positive note, we are still early in fall camp. Hopefully the defense has time to adequately adjust before the season starts, and this is the extent of our major injuries for the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

You'd have to think so. He's the only one with the size to play Nose, and we need at least a two man rotation there.

Have you forgotten about T J?  Taaulo is actually slightly larger than Young.  I don't know that we need a two man rotation but we do need relief.  The question is would the depth at DE be better with essentially two backups or one backup at nose and another backup at end?  It seems a shame to use your two best remaining defensive linemen backing up each other.  Also, until the doctors know the extent of the fracture, the amount of playing time required to cover for English's absence is a big unknown.  

Combes is big enough to backup Tauaalo but I don't know about his progress.  Sid Moore isn't big but he is awfully quick and has had some success handling big tackles.  

In other words, it's likely too early for even the coaches to know.

6 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Have you forgotten about T J?  Taaulo is actually slightly larger than Young.  I don't know that we need a two man rotation but we do need relief.  The question is would the depth at DE be better with essentially two backups or one backup at nose and another backup at end?  It seems a shame to use your two best remaining defensive linemen backing up each other.  Also, until the doctors know the extent of the fracture, the amount of playing time required to cover for English's absence is a big unknown.  

Combes is big enough to backup Tauaalo but I don't know about his progress.  Sid Moore isn't big but he is awfully quick and has had some success handling big tackles.  

In other words, it's likely too early for even the coaches to know.

I just mean from a depth standpoint. There's only two guys on the roster right now that are 280+ lbs on the DL and that's Young and TJ. 

Sure you want your best players out there at all times, but what happens if one goes down?

3 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Hopefully it is a fracture and not a complete break.... Well, if it were a break, he would be out for the season and then some.

There are a lot of bones in the foot.  We don't know which one was broken or if it was more than one, if it's weight-bearing or not and how much soft tissue damage was done.   Probably a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks for the bone to heal.  Soft tissue recovery may take longer.  Assuming he's in some sort of cast or boot, the muscles atrophy very quickly so there will be PT required to rebuild strength once full range of motion is restored.  He's carrying a lot of weight on that foot and needs to put a lot of stress on it in order to be effective.  Really unfortunate injury.  Feel bad for Bryce.     

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And he's been waiting a long time to take the field.  This truly sucks.

This.

He's been extremely vocal and enthusiastic on Twitter about the changing culture in Denton despite having to wait his turn to help provide on-field evidence.  Hurts that his wait just got extended.

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

So does this mean the staff tries to bring in a late JUCO/Grad addition at nose? Or do we think they stand pat with who they have

With the final addition of RJ Reynolds, We don't have any more scholarships available for this class, unless another blueshirt is added to the 2018 scholarship roll.
I bet we stay pat.   Reading Vito's interview with Littrell, he makes it sound like he's happy with the depth that's already there on the DL.