Mason Fine vs Quinn Shanbour

AustinFromUNT

You play the person that gives you the most premium chance of winning games 1-4*. Then, you start Isadore. He is what I thought he was. You play your best QB. That should be the plan behind closed doors and that gives him 8 weeks to get that playbook and chemistry as close to down pat as possible. 

*If that's Isadore out the gate, then you start him week 1. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Mac was still the coach during during the Portland State game, so they didn't have a firing to protest yet.

Publicly yes but rumors were already out he was to be fired after getting drug by southern miss.

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You play the person that gives you the most premium chance of winning games 1-4*. Then, you start Isadore. He is what I thought he was. You play your best QB. That should be the plan behind closed doors and that gives him 8 weeks to get that playbook and chemistry as close to down pat as possible. 

What makes you say he is the best quarterback? Rocket arm like Damarcus Smith or having the quarterback build like Josh Greer?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Curious as to what you saw in him that makes you say he's the best QB? He made some bad reads and did some bad stuff today also.  He seems a bit more careless with the football.  I do agree though if he continues to develop he's probably 1 1/a as far as your QB goes. 

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I hear you but I want to be clear that my comments on Isadore are coming from his being a non factor this spring and from me not expecting much out of him this Fall.  Today changed that -  I think he's come a long way from his injury and what he looked like in the spring.   I still see Fine as #1.  I now think that Isadore could be a legitimate part of conversation behind Fine.  

My hope is we will take care of business against Lamar and give some other QB's behind Fine a chance to play.  Right now there is a battle for who gets that chance.  If Isadore proves worthy he has a shot.  Unless Pearson just jumps out like Fine did last Fall I think you would want him to redshirt.  To me the battle is now between Shanbour and Isadore for those 2nd team reps.  Isadore will not beat Shanbour on knowledge of the offense and playbook.  Shanbour is like a coach on the field.  He will have to do it on his plays and reads on the field.

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

For the Lamar game? Or in general? If it's the Lamar game and this happens, I'll be leaving after the 3rd Q and returning with my pitchfork. 

So -as a prepared fan- am I supposed to have a pitchfork in the garage? Or in the car? Or if not, can you advise on a real good place to buy pitchforks. And is yours green? Inquiring minds would like to know.

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

So -as a prepared fan- am I supposed to have a pitchfork in the garage? Or in the car? Or if not, can you advise on a real good place to buy pitchforks. And is yours green? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Could have sold those pitchforks at a good price at the Portland State game a couple years ago.  Just sayin.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I hear you but I want to be clear that my comments on Isadore are coming from his being a non factor this spring and from me not expecting much out of him this Fall.  Today changed that -  I think he's come a long way from his injury and what he looked like in the spring.   I still see Fine as #1.  I now think that Isadore could be a legitimate part of conversation behind Fine.  

My hope is we will take care of business against Lamar and give some other QB's behind Fine a chance to play.  Right now there is a battle for who gets that chance.  If Isadore proves worthy he has a shot.  Unless Pearson just jumps out like Fine did last Fall I think you would want him to redshirt.  To me the battle is now between Shanbour and Isadore for those 2nd team reps.  Isadore will not beat Shanbour on knowledge of the offense and playbook.  Shanbour is like a coach on the field.  He will have to do it on his plays and reads on the field.

We have to remember the difference between Quinn and Izzy is that Quinn has only had 1 more semester in the offense. Izzy was a DEC transfer. 

Izzy is behind likely because of the injury/rehab but should not be truly a great difference in knowledge (I would hope). To me Quinn is similar to Kellen Moore on the Cowboys. Knows the offense but isn't as talented as others in the room. 

Izzy has the tools to be the answer. To me, we need win and handle Lamar. Tell the starters if they are up by 3-4 TDs at half they are done after 1-2 drives into the 2nd half. After that you play the young guys and you let Izzy handle the rest of the game. Let him get get a feel for it and let him get hit a few times. To me, no QB should have the spot locked down. Fine has not earned that, Quinn hasn't nor has Izzy or Pearson. 

To me, you RS Pearson.. you make him know this offense in his sleep and know every single audible/blitz package etc. We have 6 other QBs we need to find out about.. Find out if Fine, Quinn, O'Hara, Izzy, Carson are worth anything because we have 2 more arms committed in the 2018 class with no QBs graduating after this year, meaning they will have even less reps the following year.

• Lovely Take 1

52 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We have to remember the difference between Quinn and Izzy is that Quinn has only had 1 more semester in the offense. 

That's one long semester. Quinn has been at North Texas longer than any coach on this team. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We have to remember the difference between Quinn and Izzy is that Quinn has only had 1 more semester in the offense. Izzy was a DEC transfer. 

Izzy is behind likely because of the injury/rehab but should not be truly a great difference in knowledge (I would hope). To me Quinn is similar to Kellen Moore on the Cowboys. Knows the offense but isn't as talented as others in the room. 

Izzy has the tools to be the answer. To me, we need win and handle Lamar. Tell the starters if they are up by 3-4 TDs at half they are done after 1-2 drives into the 2nd half. After that you play the young guys and you let Izzy handle the rest of the game. Let him get get a feel for it and let him get hit a few times. To me, no QB should have the spot locked down. Fine has not earned that, Quinn hasn't nor has Izzy or Pearson. 

To me, you RS Pearson.. you make him know this offense in his sleep and know every single audible/blitz package etc. We have 6 other QBs we need to find out about.. Find out if Fine, Quinn, O'Hara, Izzy, Carson are worth anything because we have 2 more arms committed in the 2018 class with no QBs graduating after this year, meaning they will have even less reps the following year.

Quinn has been in this offense for two more semesters than Isadore. Shanbour battled Morris for the job last spring and then Fine battled him for it in the fall.

O'Hara will be graduating after  this season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Quinn has been in this offense for two more semesters than Isadore. Shanbour battled Morris for the job last spring and then Fine battled him for it in the fall.

O'Hara will be graduating after  this season.

Yeah bad on the 2 semesters forgot the spring when SL got here, but SL was said to be totally lost in this offense and has made a big improvement so maybe counting that 1st semester as a lost spring does count.

Ohara can file a medical RS with his injury last year, just like Quinn did.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I thought it was on the coaches to secure a medical redshirt? That's what I thought happened with Zach Muzzy that Todge couldn't or wouldn't get it approved.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I thought it was on the coaches to secure a medical redshirt? That's what I thought happened with Zach Muzzy that Todge couldn't or wouldn't get it approved.

That would be "HOF, Practice Field Named, Darrell Dickey."

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That would be "HOF, Practice Field Named, Darrell Dickey."

Yes and no. HOF didn't get it done during his tenure but once Todge was hired, Muzzy continued to workout with the team in the hopes of getting that redshirt because of his injury season. I know this because I had him in a class and would ask him about the new regime. I was real excited about it t the time.

I was lucky enough to have classes with Muzzy, Hopovac, and Blake Burress while at NT. I'd see other players around campus or on the shuttle bus. They always seemed flattered that someone would recognize them from the team and I'd ask them about things. I was one of those rare students that cared enough to go to some of the road games.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yeah bad on the 2 semesters forgot the spring when SL got here, but SL was said to be totally lost in this offense and has made a big improvement so maybe counting that 1st semester as a lost spring does count.

but do we really want O'Hara back? he doesn't even have a tenth of the heart of Reuttiger... and he just got demoted from the third team!

We're talking about a kid that could have made All-America!