Defense????

UNTLifer

Defense had a lot of players not at 100%.  Some of them were probably out there when a player who would have been more effective sat.  We missed at the point of attack and that future NFL running back made us pay.  

We have gotten whipped by every power run team we have faced.  We don't have the scheme or personnel to beat that right now.  

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I have a strong feeling based on recent events that Ekeler's Winnebago is already packed for his next stop. He is going back p5

As what, a LB coach?

If the coaches or fans thought this ship would turn around in one year, they were kidding themselves. We are woefully short on speed and a solid front seven. 

Good news, if we get solid recruits in they can play early. Also we do have some pieces in the secondary and if we can get some help upfront we'll improve. 

Rah rah and enthusiasm only go so far. A few wins doesn't change how much this is a rebuilding project. 

UTEP went heavy on us and came with double TEs.  I'm not a DL guru or anything, but I do know that 3 down linemen are no match for even an average 7 man line.  It MIGHT work if you have 4 all world LBs.  With 3 vs 7, you just have way to many free blockers getting to the next level.  

3 vs 7 is a coaching issue and doomed even on paper.  Just a horrible game plan to begin with.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Rick - Is Army really a "power" run team? I look at their offense as more of a system rather than power.

I'd think an offense that utilizes a lead blocker...or two...or three is considered a power run team.

28 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

UTEP went heavy on us and came with double TEs.  I'm not a DL guru or anything, but I do know that 3 down linemen are no match for even an average 7 man line.  It MIGHT work if you have 4 all world LBs.  With 3 vs 7, you just have way to many free blockers getting to the next level.  

3 vs 7 is a coaching issue and doomed even on paper.  Just a horrible game plan to begin with.  

This.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

3-4 turns into a 4 man front which we did when we walked Wheeler up as a stand up end.  We had 4 down lineman we just got in the wrong gaps/got blocked into gaps and it opened up creases that an NFL caliber RB is able to see hit and not stop until he's got 6. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

3-4 turns into a 4 man front which we did when we walked Wheeler up as a stand up end.  We had 4 down lineman we just got in the wrong gaps/got blocked into gaps and it opened up creases that an NFL caliber RB is able to see hit and not stop until he's got 6. 

We needed legit DTs for this game.  We should have used Hood and saw what has slowed them down in the past and tried our best to duplicate it.  The scheme was just horrible.  At times we had 5 players lined up, But they weren't linemen.

Just now, GOMG2013 said:

We needed legit DTs for this game.  We should have used Hood and saw what has slowed them down in the past and tried our best to duplicate it.  The scheme was just horrible.  At times we had 5 players lined up, But they weren't linemen.

We have spent alot of time on Defense this year, are probably more banged up than anyone will admit and got whipped up front.  I had stuff to do that afternoon after half so I quit watching and only listened.  I'll have to take your word. 

• Upvote 1