Giovanni Vizza on UTSA Coaching Staff

UNT Mean Green

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

An alumnus is someone who has graduated from or attended a school.  SRC: Merriam-Webster

To me it always meant Graduated from. But I think they changed the meaning for fundraising, "you attended for week you are now on the Alumni List, what you like to pledge for this fundraising event?"  

16 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Exactly!  It's like the media and whorn alumni saying Jordan Spieth is a UT Alum.  No.  He attended UT and played golf for UT for two years but he did not get his degree from UT.  And who was the basketball wizard at UT that played one year then went pro.  No more a UT alum than I am.  I have this argument with my UT brother all the time.

Vizza is not an Alum of The University of North Texas.

You need to go back and re-read what I posted and what that dictionary link said.  You do not have to graduate to be considered an alumnus.  You simply have to attend.

Many of the people we claim as alumns (Roy Orbison, Norah Jones, etc) attended but never graduated. 

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

You need to go back and re-read what I posted and what that dictionary link said.  You do not have to graduate to be considered an alumnus.  You simply have to attend.

Many of the people we claim as alumns (Roy Orbison, Norah Jones, etc) attended but never graduated. 

Screw Webster.  This is how I interpret alumnus.  BTW, when people mention Norah Jones to me, I tell them she "attended" UNT for a couple of years. Nothing about Alumnus.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Screw Webster.  This is how I interpret alumnus.  BTW, when people mention Norah Jones to me, I tell them she "attended" UNT for a couple of years. Nothing about Alumnus.

Nora was here for 2 semesters.....went to NYC to house sit for a summer, and never made it back...2 years later, she was toting around a bunch of music awards.....  Friend of a friend kind of thing here....so I have that going for me....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Vizza is still the best QB we have had since Scott Hall. 

He is a quitter though.

Strongly disagree. His best friend was Todd Dodge's offense. Riley was way more efficient and DT would've torched the record books with 4 years in that offense. In McCarney's run-first system, he threw for nearly as many yards in 2012 as Vizza in 2010(Vizza's best) and did it in more than 100 fewer attempts. Vizza wasn't that good but he looked great because he was a Dodge qb and not a Dickey qb. For all his faults, Dodge could recruit and develop a quarterbacks. Have you forgotten that Todd Dodge got Daniel Meager to throw for 600 yards and 3 tds against SMU? The same Meager that had never thrown for more than 155 yards or 1 td in his career?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

He is a former letterman and an alumni.  He came in and played his butt off for us for two seasons and won conference freshman of the year honors.  If you think Mason Fine had a hard time standing behind a line that let FLORIDA sacked him seven times, remember Vizza had a line that let TROY sack him 9 times.  

Let's be a little classy.   

I understand that Troy is no Florida, but Troy has churned out good D Linemen. Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora both played there in the early 2000s, Ware being drafted in '05. They also had a DE drafted in 2010 who played for them in 06-09 named Cameron Sheffield. I know it's not the same, but they had some good defensive talent back then.

Edit: looked more into it, they also had 4 DBs picked in rounds 1, 2, 4, and 6 in the NFL draft from 2007 to 2010.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

He is a former letterman and an alumni.  He came in and played his butt off for us for two seasons and won conference freshman of the year honors.  If you think Mason Fine had a hard time standing behind a line that let FLORIDA sacked him seven times, remember Vizza had a line that let TROY sack him 9 times.  

Those offensive linemen were former lettermen and alumni.  They came in and played their butts off for us for 2 seasons or more...  And didn't q-word, and don't coach football for a conference foe.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Exactly!  It's like the media and whorn alumni saying Jordan Spieth is a UT Alum.  No.  He attended UT and played golf for UT for two years but he did not get his degree from UT.  And who was the basketball wizard at UT that played one year then went pro.  No more a UT alum than I am.  I have this argument with my UT brother all the time.

Vizza is not an Alum of The University of North Texas.

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

You're technically wrong, but whatever makes you feel better at night - facts and definitions be damned.

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Nora was here for 2 semesters.....went to NYC to house sit for a summer, and never made it back...2 years later, she was toting around a bunch of music awards.....  Friend of a friend kind of thing here....so I have that going for me....

Norah* was here for 2 years... FTFY. During those two years she took all music classes and a few electives, after which she had a lot of Core curricula ahead of her. When she got to that point, she wan't interested in Core courses, felt she got out of UNT what she wanted, and moved to NYC. This was further confirmed when she was here a few weeks ago, and I can assure you as the Jazz Studies admin assistant it is factual.

Additionally, this is the very model of student transience that institutions like the Berklee College of Music pride themselves upon; students show for a few years, make their industry connections and jet off thereafter. You'll never see Berklee not claim Melissa Etheridge, Bill Frisel, Quincy Jones, John Mayer, the Marsalis', PSY, Annie Clark (St. Vincent), etc. They're all legitimate alumni.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those offensive linemen were former lettermen and alumni.  

And if there was a thread full of people calling them out by name I would defend them also.  My point of view on players is this:  Not everyone is equally talented.  If a player is out there getting whipped consistently, then I have no problem with him as long as he is doing everything on and off the field he can do to improve.  If a guy who can't cut it is thrown into the fray, then that fault lies squarely on the coaches.

They are the ones who are payed a salary to recruit and train and scheme players to success.  Now if a player isn't making grades, isn't spending time in the film room, isn't making workouts... they deserve criticism.  

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

and don't coach football for a conference foe.

That is just ridiculous.   When they graduate they are professionals and they need to make the most of their career.  There are only so many slots in CFB coaching.  If someone is talented enough to make the grade they need to take every opportunity they can.  I wish we could take every single player who wanted to coach and put him on staff here but it's neither economically viable nor permissible under NCAA rules.  

One last thing.  Over the years a lot of people throwing pot smoking jibes (and gambols) around.  If you want to kick everyone out of school who did that the halls of the school would be near empty.   A lot of damn hubris from some people I know really enjoy their alcohol.  

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

You're technically wrong, but whatever makes you feel better at night - facts and definitions be damned.

Norah* was here for 2 years... FTFY. During those two years she took all music classes and a few electives, after which she had a lot of Core curricula ahead of her. When she got to that point, she wan't interested in Core courses, felt she got out of UNT what she wanted, and moved to NYC. This was further confirmed when she was here a few weeks ago, and I can assure you as the Jazz Studies admin assistant it is factual.

Additionally, this is the very model of student transience that institutions like the Berklee College of Music pride themselves upon; students show for a few years, make their industry connections and jet off thereafter. You'll never see Berklee not claim Melissa Etheridge, Bill Frisel, Quincy Jones, John Mayer, the Marsalis', PSY, Annie Clark (St. Vincent), etc. They're all legitimate alumni.

I agree. Not arguing at all. 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

And if there was a thread full of people calling them out by name I would defend them also.  My point of view on players is this:  Not everyone is equally talented.  If a player is out there getting whipped consistently, then I have no problem with him as long as he is doing everything on and off the field he can do to improve.  If a guy who can't cut it is thrown into the fray, then that fault lies squarely on the coaches.

They are the ones who are payed a salary to recruit and train and scheme players to success.  Now if a player isn't making grades, isn't spending time in the film room, isn't making workouts... they deserve criticism.  

That is just ridiculous.   When they graduate they are professionals and they need to make the most of their career.  There are only so many slots in CFB coaching.  If someone is talented enough to make the grade they need to take every opportunity they can.  I wish we could take every single player who wanted to coach and put him on staff here but it's neither economically viable nor permissible under NCAA rules.  

One last thing.  Over the years a lot of people throwing pot smoking jibes (and gambols) around.  If you want to kick everyone out of school who did that the halls of the school would be near empty.   A lot of damn hubris from some people I know really enjoy their alcohol.  

For me it was his father's little display that chapped my ass. 

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Personally, I have gamboled about under the influence of both and still find jibes about both hilarious.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, when Vizza left, I didn't blame him.  And I'm one of those people that defended Dodge WAY too long.   Despite the complete "set up to fail" system of pretty much H.S. coaches, -ala Ron Mendoza, the kid was a gamer, and it felt like he set some kinda NCAA record for getting hammered.  Hell I would've helped him pack.  That program wasn't worth him walking with a bad limp the rest of his life...

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Strongly disagree. His best friend was Todd Dodge's offense. Riley was way more efficient and DT would've torched the record books with 4 years in that offense. In McCarney's run-first system, he threw for nearly as many yards in 2012 as Vizza in 2010(Vizza's best) and did it in more than 100 fewer attempts. Vizza wasn't that good but he looked great because he was a Dodge qb and not a Dickey qb. For all his faults, Dodge could recruit and develop a quarterbacks. Have you forgotten that Todd Dodge got Daniel Meager to throw for 600 yards and 3 tds against SMU? The same Meager that had never thrown for more than 155 yards or 1 td in his career?

Vizza only played as a true fr and soph. Compare Vizza's numbers as a Fr and So to DT's as a Fr and So. It is no contest.
Vizza had more passing yards in a game in his first college start than DT ever had in a game over his whole career. And DT played parts of 5 seasons.
Vizza threw for 8 TDs vs Navy and was Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and made Freshman All American. 
DT had an ok career and a great bowl game, but he never even made an all conference team. 
Plus, a big part of Vizza's game was running the ball. He was a legit weapon who made plays with his legs and trucked dudes. DT just got sacked. 
Vizza is still a quitter though.
And Riley Dodge may have been "efficient" but he couldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field and was not better than Vizza.

• Upvote 4