Would we beat UTSA, UTEP, Rice as we stand today?

GMG24

Would we beat UTEP, UTSA, Rice as the season stands today? (Names are public)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would we beat UTEP as we stand today?

2. 2. Would we beat UTSA as we stand today?

3. 3. Would we beat Rice as we stand today?

This poll is public kind of like get your rear on the record.  I made this based off our current ranking above these three teams after two weeks.  Keep it civil. 

The only reason I said no to UTEP right now is we have had a hard time staying gap sound vs the run.  Their running game is very very strong as evidenced by one of their backs going for close to 130 vs UT.  Aside from that, which I believe will be fixed by the time we play them I think we have a shot at success.   These kids believe in the coaches, and each other and that will take you a long long way in athletics. 

• Upvote 1

Let Jones get banged-up this season after rushing ~250-300 times before our final game of the year, along with UNT getting "better each week".   Then maybe UNT has a chance against UTEP at the end of the year... but as both teams stand today?  No.   The other two games, yes.    Especially Rice who looks alot like UNT last year.   Didn't Bailiff put his name in the hat for UTSA's job this past off-season?   That is probably enough for his team to give up on him.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Let Jones get banged-up this season after rushing ~250-300 times before our final game of the year, along with UNT getting "better each week".   Then maybe UNT has a chance against UTEP at the end of the day... but as both teams stand today?  No.   The other two games, yes.    Especially Rice who looks alot like UNT last year.   Didn't Bailiff put his name in the hat for UTSA's job this past off-season?   That is probably enough for his team to give up on him.

Fixed?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

As we stand today? 

I think they'd be close, but with further development of our youth we could win all of them.  (Add Army to that list, too).

Our offense needs to become a juggernaut for us to win them, though and.....that could actually happen.

GMG!

Dont add Army to that list. They are far superior to those teams.

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This poll is public kind of like get your rear on the record.  I made this based off our current ranking above these three teams after two weeks.  Keep it civil. 

The only reason I said no to UTEP right now is we have had a hard time staying gap sound vs the run.  Their running game is very very strong as evidenced by one of their backs going for close to 130 vs UT.  Aside from that, which I believe will be fixed by the time we play them I think we have a shot at success.   These kids believe in the coaches, and each other and that will take you a long long way in athletics. 

Man what did we hear for the last 2yrs of how to stop UNT? Fill the BOX!..UTEP having one dimension is beatable. If we can win these three that would be sweet! GMG

Its funny--we saw Southern Miss fall to the bottom of FBS in basically 2012 and 2013, then SMU in 2014, and then us in 2015. It now appears that Rice might be the biggest loser in 2016, based off of their start and playing under a coach who tried to leave in the offseason, like SMU basically did with June Jones.

Just as we have seen USM run back upward quickly with the right hire, as well as the progress SMU has shown under Morris and the way that Littrell has reinvigorated Denton, if Bailiff gets fired soon, we can look at Rice as the next school that needs to find the right hire to rebuild up from the ashes...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Its funny--we saw Southern Miss fall to the bottom of FBS in basically 2012 and 2013, then SMU in 2014, and then us in 2015. It now appears that Rice might be the biggest loser in 2016, based off of their start and playing under a coach who tried to leave in the offseason, like SMU basically did with June Jones.

Just as we have seen USM run back upward quickly with the right hire, as well as the progress SMU has shown under Morris and the way that Littrell has reinvigorated Denton, if Bailiff gets fired soon, we can look at Rice as the next school that needs to find the right hire to rebuild up from the ashes...

This is maybe why the coach wanted to leave.  He saw the cupboard was bear for this year.  

UTEP will be a toss up but I marked it down as a loss. It all depends on who is injured and how complete each team is.

UTSA I have as a Win. UTSA didnt seem to impress me on paper vs Alabama State and I feel like if we continue to improve from week to week we win by 2 touchdowns

RICE: WIN They looked pitiful against Army and they havent really put up any offensive stats. They are also going to be coming off a game against Baylor (Same as us, Florida) so they could be beaten down.

Great question, impossible to answer without seeing a Littrell coached team hit the road.  Mac was awful on the road, but even he might have beaten this 2016 Rice squad.  They look like they already gave up before the season ever started.  The worst team in history beat UTSA last year.  I think that bodes well for this year's squad.  UTEP will be tough.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1