Fine starting today

MGNation92

3 minutes ago, FineFan918 said:

I have been reading threads on here since mason was recruited and I still am amazed at the lack of understanding of many of the UNT homers as to what you have in Mason Fine. But instead of me trying to enlightening everyone, the kid finally gets his chance to show you! You can thank us okies later.

Easy there. Everybody thinks highly of Fine. We just have had a history of really bad QB play so we are always super critical of that position.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, FineFan918 said:

I have been reading threads on here since mason was recruited and I still am amazed at the lack of understanding of many of the UNT homers as to what you have in Mason Fine. But instead of me trying to enlightening everyone, the kid finally gets his chance to show you! You can thank us okies later.

You plan on posting that message on the other 120 some odd FBS schools message boards that missed out on him as well? You've been chomping at the bit to post this, haven't you?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, FineFan918 said:

Strange first post.   I'm not sure why you would smack-talk the fanbase here.  We've all heard good things about Fine's performance in practice and are all looking forward to seeing how he does in a significantly increased role.

But welcome to the board.

• Upvote 4

Remember that if true, this is an Oklahoma small school freshman making his FIRST college start. There will be hiccups to go along with the good plays. Please be patient with Fine. He was in high school 4 months ago. BCU is not Nichols from a few years ago. BCU is a good FCS team that will test this offense. Don't be surprised if he plays stiff for the first couple of series as this is a lot to take in for a freshman. Good luck Mason. The Mean Green Nation is behind you.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

You don't understand Okies. In a state virtually run from pulpits, where license plates used to say, "Oklahoma is OK" (just ok?), where every set of directions begins with "turn right at the church"...social graces are sacrificed on the altar of reverse snobbery. We go into every situation wearing our inferiority complex on our sleeve, knowing that whoever we may encounter automatically thinks they are better than us. Steinbeck got it when he wrote "we take a beatin'all the time..."

I do seem to recall an Okie singing, "I'm not big on social graces." 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

You don't understand Okies. In a state virtually run from pulpits, where license plates used to say, "Oklahoma is OK" (just ok?), where every set of directions begins with "turn right at the church"...social graces are sacrificed on the altar of reverse snobbery. We go into every situation wearing our inferiority complex on our sleeve, knowing that whoever we may encounter automatically thinks they are better than us. Steinbeck got it when he wrote "we take a beatin'all the time..."

Pretty funny.

You know, we have historically done much better than "OK" on the field when we have some of that Okie flavor on our roster.  I look forward to what transpires with Fine.

• Upvote 3

Mason Fine did great this evening.  Can't remember a true freshmen outside of Giovanni Vizza who'd done better since my first season as a Mean Green fan, circa 1973. 

Anyone heard about Mason's injury in the post-game coach's show?

Enjoy Mason Fine because he is something special.  We just need to start  recruiting  D1 classes again  which has not been done in awhile.  

Gray Eagle was quite right beginning in Apogee's debut year 2011 (& thereafter) when he said our recruiting classes were not commiserate with all the numerous selling or positive benefits we have at North  Texas--beginning with our football palace--namely Apogee Stadium. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Mason Fine did great this evening.  Can't remember a true freshmen outside of Giovanni Vizza who'd done better since my first Mean Green season as a student, September of 1973. 

Bumped his knee.   He said in his post game interview that he was ready to go back in.  Nothing to worry about. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Mason Fine did great this evening.  Can't remember a true freshmen outside of Giovanni Vizza who'd done better since my first Mean Green season as a student, September of 1973. 

Coach said something like "Mason is good", seemed to be just trying to avoid the awkward "Mason is fine".  Maybe just an abundance of caution keeping him out, or just wanting to look at Morris some more.  I agree with meaniegreenie, who was sitting in front of me, that sending him back in was a good idea.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dd992emo said:

BrGcWuk.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, James329 said:

For those who watched the game, how did he look? Stat line isn't great considering opponent, but that's not the whole story. At this point I hope the plan is to develop players intelligently. Let Alec take the incoming bumps and grow the youth as smart and fast as you can.

Some accuracy issues, but he looks like a good leader and he's athletic. He seemed to make the right decision, but the throws were off a bit. He did have some good and bad plays erased by penalties. Some drops.

Honestly, it's really hard to evaluate our QBs right now, because the pocket seems to always be at/near collapse. He made some great plays, but you could see him lose the lanes at times if he had to step up in the pocket. If he has to step up, he's best off tucking and running. 

Also, idk what the deal was with our WR. They were blanketed all night, no matter who was in. Idk if it was a timing problem or a get-off issue. In a few instances, it was a penalty issue. 

Passing game as a whole was off. But Fine looked better than Morris, and it wasn't close. 

He's going to have some growing pains. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, James329 said:

For those who watched the game, how did he look? Stat line isn't great considering opponent, but that's not the whole story. At this point I hope the plan is to develop players intelligently. Let Alec take the incoming bumps and grow the youth as smart and fast as you can.

I think, in the spirit of health, we need to let Morris start the game until (and I hate to actually anticipate this) Florida is up by enough to get their 2/3 deep players in the game.  Maybe, in some particular situations where we can get Fine in there to feel some atmospheric pressures due to a 90k+ crowd and inoculate him to the substantially less hostile crowds of C-USA.  But, after the Florida game is over, it needs to be Fine's team.  

• Upvote 1