Big 12 To Water Down Its Conference Further With 2-4 More Teams

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

If nutsack and utep gets inclusion into a new conference and we don't UNT better pull out every big gun they have and do whatever it takes, literally. If not we'll be grouped with the remaining sunbelt rejects. It's paramount that winning starts to take form asap. We need some kind of ground to stand on even if it's on the edge of a cliff that we just had to climb up. 

SMU is really chapped that they may not get in... I just hope if they don't they will think rationally.  I honestly felt like the original C-USA was meant to be a place for SMU, TCU, Tulsa and Rice to separate themselves academically and athletically from schools like us... I sort of see the AAC that way although to a lesser extent.  I just hope SMU will realize they are in the same boat as the rest of us if they don't make the cut for the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

SMU is really chapped that they may not get in... I just hope if they don't they will think rationally.  I honestly felt like the original C-USA was meant to be a place for SMU, TCU, Tulsa and Rice to separate themselves academically and athletically from schools like us... I sort of see the AAC that way although to a lesser extent.  I just hope SMU will realize they are in the same boat as the rest of us if they don't make the cut for the Big 12.

Definitely. But we can't just hands in the air accept non inclusion bc "smu said so." We need to backbone up as a university, athletic program, alum, city of Denton, etc. in the event your scenario unfolds, demand an invitation. We are the greater North Texas university. We are North Texas. 

*gotta start winning. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Definitely. But we can't just hands in the air accept non inclusion bc "smu said so." We need to backbone up as a university, athletic program, alum, city of Denton, etc. in the event your scenario unfolds, demand an invitation. We are the greater North Texas university. We are North Texas. 

*gotta start winning. 

Absolutely -- if anything this Big 12 thing shows us is that things can change.  5 years ago nooone thought UofH would be in the big 12.  Things can change..  We just need to best position ourselves for the future.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Absolutely -- if anything this Big 12 thing shows us is that things can change.  5 years ago nooone thought UofH would be in the big 12.  Things can change..  We just need to best position ourselves for the future.

It can and it can quick. We have to garner more support tho. Many of games I'm dumbfounded at the lack of support by general attendance alone. The wku game last yr was my low point. It was truly embarrassing in every facet to sit in that stadium that night. I can't fathom a program being at a lower point than that night. I could hear and articulate conversations by people sitting 15-20 rows behind me. We can't afford any thing like that again to take form. We just can't. 

Interesting, looks like we may know now why UT has become so enchanted with adding UofH:

Houston officials have signaled they will drop opposition to UT expansion into Houston for help

Eight of the 10 current Big 12 schools must vote to approve a new member. The Statesman reported Wednesday that sources indicated UT officials would not block Houston from joining the league. However, out-of-state schools could form an alliance against Houston. It’s thought the six non-Texas schools — like Oklahoma and Kansas — do not want to add a fifth Texas team.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Interesting, looks like we may know now why UT has become so enchanted with adding UofH:

Houston officials have signaled they will drop opposition to UT expansion into Houston for help

Eight of the 10 current Big 12 schools must vote to approve a new member. The Statesman reported Wednesday that sources indicated UT officials would not block Houston from joining the league. However, out-of-state schools could form an alliance against Houston. It’s thought the six non-Texas schools — like Oklahoma and Kansas — do not want to add a fifth Texas team.

I think Houston is the last metro area in the state without a UT. There is more to expansion than just sports involved here. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

And other than the UH chairman of the BOR and the UT Chancellor saying they aren't connected, that's a great UT fan rumor

I think this is just the opposite of what they should be doing. I would like to set up a poll on and ask the the simple question: Has conference realignment and dissolving\interrupting of some of the most historical vibrant t caused you to watch more college football not involving you favorite team or less? For me it has been unquestionably less. Just because West Virginia is in the conference with state of Texas teams I follow the chances of me watch them play anybody but an elite team with realistic national title hopes is zero. It goes without saying I would be front and center if they played UNT. The same could be said for Cincy, or Memphis. The move worth making is kicking WVU out in favor of BYU. Then you could make a pitch for Utah, Colorado, and Colorado State. I think even Air Force would be a nice PR move that would soften the weak conference stigma in favor of patriotism. And maybe Air Force could make some competitive improvement with greater exposure. Ideally would like the conference at 9 if you aren't going to have a geographically reasonable 10th member. The only technical available option I would make an exception for is Notre Dame. Every conference in America would except maybe the SEC. You need quality over quantity.

• Upvote 1

On July 19, 2016 at 5:56 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

Time for us to win is now, so that we can possibly move "up" to the MWC or AAC once the Big 12 takes whomever it is going to take from those conferences. 

Keep losing and...we'll be looking at FCSLand again...or, whatever becomes of the remaining G5 after 2016 or 2017.

Littrell, Smatresk, the new AD...all of them need to understand that to keep from sinking, we can't wait for a complete "rebuild." 

Miracles are needed, and needed soon.

I did not understand the value of these teams to the big 12 until the article in the DMN. You let these teams in with a big entrance fee then you only give them a small % of the distribution. This could actually be an additional money maker for the existing teams. Instead of the $23m maybe $2-$4m and slowly step it up. I bet there are teams out there that would take 0 distribution to join! I bet they add 4 teams.

Edited by Wag Tag

17 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The only reason I'd put Cincinnati ahead of Houston is geography.  WVU is on an island, and they are starving for some closer conference mates.

How bad is the B12 kicking themselves for turning down Louisville now?

This.

Louisville in the ACC is a boone because their football is decent most years, and their basketball gets to be paired with UNC, NC State, and Duke every year. 

When the Big 12 implodes, basketball is the reason I think Kansas will be saved by either the Big Ten or ACC.  Pity/Pickens' money might save Oklahoma State.  Oklahoma and Texas will go where they want.  Everyone else will be left scrambling as the then P4 closes ranks.

Cincinnati and Houston are cesspools.  But, at minimum, Cincy's basketball program is good.  Like Houston, they have a crappy football stadium that holds less than 50,000.  Pitiful that the Big 12 feels it is forced to go so far down the line to compete.

It was bad enough for them when they were forced to take on TCU and West Virginia to get back to 10 teams for the sake of the P5 postseason.  Now, they will have to go with schools even further down the facilities and tradition food chain than either one of those.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Here's SMU's problem:  you think the majority our alumni don't give sh*t; their alumni double down on not giving a sh*t.

June Jones gave them four winning seasons in a row, four bowl games in a row (in which they went 3-1, by the way), and they still didn't show or cough up money.

By far and away, SMU alumni lead the nation in the category of "don't give a f*ck about my alma mater's athletics."  They just don't care.  That's why they've got, essentially, a high school coach leading them now. 

They don't attend the games.  You look at the TV ratings, they don't watch the games either.

I've said it many, many times in my life, and I'll say it again...and, will say it to my grave:  F*ck SMU.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

If I get the chains of one post a day off, I would own MeanGreenMailbox and debunk everything he's said.

Just don't forget to come back after the OU debacle and try to explain why losing more than half your starters, and all of your special teams unit starters, will still not cause a significant drop off from 2015.

SPOILER ALERT:  If OU doesn't win by 35, it's because Stoops takes his starters off the field in the third quarter to prevent possible injuries in light of their Week Two game against Ohio State...when their real season begins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Just don't forget to come back after the OU debacle and try to explain why losing more than half your starters, and all of your special teams unit starters, will still not cause a significant drop off from 2015.

SPOILER ALERT:  If OU doesn't win by 35, it's because Stoops takes his starters off the field in the third quarter to prevent possible injuries in light of their Week Two game against Ohio State...when their real season begins.

You are acting like UH is going to be putting out some UNT level talent out there against OU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not sure why OU is traveling to Houston to play their warm-up, scrimmage game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Not sure why OU is traveling to Houston to play their warm-up, scrimmage game.

Me neither.  Was originally supposed to be an SEC opening joint:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Kickoff.

This is the first time and SEC school won't be featured.  Other two future games on book for it - 2017 (LSU) and 2020 (Ole Miss) - feature SEC schools again. 

SEC already has several season-opening marquee games in 2016, including four "Kickoff/Classic" games against ACC, Pac-12, and Big Ten schools:

Georgia vs. North Carolina, Chik-Fil-A Kickoff in Atlanta
Alabama vs.USC, Cowboys Classic in Arlington
LSU vs. Wisconsin, Lambeau Field College Classic in Green Bay
Ole Miss vs. Florida State, Camping World Kickoff in Orlando (Sept 5)

In addition, Auburn opens at home that weekend against Clemson, and Texas A&M hosts UCLA.

So, they gave Houston's Texas Kickoff a break. 

By the way, the OU-Houston game is the 11 a.m. that weekend...so, Vegas and the TV folk aren't counting on this one having many eyes on it too far into the afternoon.

OU has long recruited the Houston area, anyway, so it's just another chance to keep those recruits up-to-date.  Their athletic department has already made a video featuring their Houston-area defensive starters:

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5390001

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

2 hours ago, ohyeah said:

You are acting like UH is going to be putting out some UNT level talent out there against OU. 

Houston is returning less that half their offense and defensive starters from 2015; and, none from their special teams:  punter, place kicker, returners...even the long snapper...gone.

OU returns Mayfield and Perine to lead the offense, as well as most of their defense and special teams.  Houston isn't a "we just reload" school by any stretch of the imagination.  So, the Sooners will blow out Houston, likely in epic fashion. 

Mayfield and Perine are Heisman Candidates.  OU won't have to throw often, though.  They'll likely spend the day handing off to Perine and Joe Mixon and being satisfied with the two of them demolishing Houston's young and inexperienced front seven.

Perine's Heisman chase will begin that day.  Guessing he'll go off for 200+ before they sit him, then Mixon for 100+ before they sit him.  Mayfield will have to wait until the following week against Ohio State to begin his Heisman campaign in earnest.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Harry said:

With all due respect Harry, there won't be a next time. We had our chance. Who would have ever thought that even after all those years playing at old decrepit Fouts that somehow, one day we would still have had a chance to make a statement and prove that we belonged in a more prestigious league. (NOTE:The current CUSA is not that league) How could anyone not know this day was coming!!!!! HOW? We were given one last opportunity when we built Apogee AND this administration carelessly and recklessly decided to place that responsibility in the hands of someone who was not only incompetent but was absolutely and utterly clueless. Someone who not only failed in leading the students to approve funding for a new stadium but was totally and completely lost as what to do with the gift that was handed to him. No Harry, there won't be another opportunity. We were suppose to have taken advantage of the last SIX years but did absolutely nothing under an individual who ran an Athletic Department like a small town pizza parlor. In fact and unfortunately we went backwards. I don't think many of you really understand the damage RV was allowed to inflict on our program, unchallenged. There won't be another opportunity.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ohyeah said:

When is UNT going to get anyone to travel to denton?

Welllll you're inferring that OU is traveling to play in your link n log stadium. Kind of misleading. 

37 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

With all due respect Harry, there won't be a next time. We had our chance. Who would have ever thought that even after all those years playing at old decrepit Fouts that somehow, one day we would still have had a chance to make a statement and prove that we belonged in a more prestigious league. (NOTE:The current CUSA is not that league) How could anyone not know this day was coming!!!!! HOW? We were given one last opportunity when we built Apogee AND this administration carelessly and recklessly decided to place that responsibility in the hands of someone who was not only incompetent but was absolutely and utterly clueless. Someone who not only failed in leading the students to approve funding for a new stadium but was totally and completely lost as what to do with the gift that was handed to him. No Harry, there won't be another opportunity. We were suppose to have taken advantage of the last SIX years but did absolutely nothing under an individual who ran an Athletic Department like a small town pizza parlor. In fact and unfortunately we went backwards. I don't think many of you really understand the damage RV was allowed to inflict on our program, unchallenged. There won't be another opportunity.

And he's probably 100% correct. I only add probably in there bc I'm bias. 

• Upvote 1