Joe Greene Statue "Update"

About those reliefs from Fouts...I hadn't noticed these until the other day. They don't look like ones from Fouts, but pretty similar and all of female athletes. 

This picture was taken outside the Union across Highland Street from the BLB (where Stovall Hall used to be located). There are a couple of picnic tables next to the new Shield statue by now deceased UNT alumnus Jesus Moroles. 

File_000-1.jpeg

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

We got some crazy-talented sumbitches in our alumn family.

image.jpg

Do you know how categorically  bad ass it would be if 7 to 8  feet of this was looking out over you, greeting fans as they entered the stadium?

Rick

Exactly!  I had the same idea.  Hell, put Mean Joe at one entrance and Abner Haynes at the other main entrance.  This is a must do for the new AD.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I personally delivered the sculpture to RV the day of the "Great Halloween Victory" over Rice, back in 2013. With Fox Sports 1 there, security was tight around the athletic center that day. I don't know what RV has done with it, but I imagine it is somewhere in the athletic center. I haven't seen it since I delivered it.

Actually RV put it in a closet because he was a little upset that the bust didn't look like himself.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, meangreen16 said:

About those reliefs from Fouts...I hadn't noticed these until the other day. They don't look like ones from Fouts, but pretty similar and all of female athletes. 

This picture was taken outside the Union across Highland Street from the BLB (where Stovall Hall used to be located). There are a couple of picnic tables next to the new Shield statue by now deceased UNT alumnus Jesus Moroles. 

File_000-1.jpeg

To echo above, these particular reliefs were from Stovall and are re-placed in or near where they where originally affixed in that building.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm still stunned at the talent of Side Show Joe.  You're really talented my friend.

Thanks Harry. I finally found those pictures of the Haynes sculpture. I'll get them posted on here when I get a break today, Have a happy 4th.

• Upvote 1

On July 1, 2016 at 1:34 PM, baberuthbomber8 said:

Once everything is completed, the location, the funding, etc.. and we have ordered it.. Is this something that will take a year to build? or something less.. Wasn't sure if this something that could completed during SL's first year? But I'm figuring with the entire process this is something that will be most likely completed and dedicated during the 2017 season, if everything goes as planned?

But another side note, If we could deciate it during the Spring Game next year, and we had a bunch of possible recruits.. this maybe a nice little attention grabber for them as well..

How about in time for first game Sept 3rd? Unveiling during halftime.... BOOM

• Upvote 2

I'm beginning to think that the former AD had many P5s calling wanting to schedule one and ones, but he just never bothered to call them back.

Both of these stories peak my interest in the results from the AD audit. I bet they find a whole pile of projects started yet never finished.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

How about in time for first game Sept 3rd? Unveiling during halftime.... BOOM

I would like this as well, but I figured if we did it at the spring game.. I may bring in a few more recruits that are on the fence to see us. Also, I think if we did that could give players a lot of energy as they move into the summer as well. Also, it most likely wouldn't be done in time as well for this season. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2016 at 9:08 PM, Side Show Joe said:

The plan was to have this Greene sculpture installed in the south end zone, and eventually add one of Abner Haynes and Ray Renfro. The Haynes bust has been about 80% finished since 2014. I know RV had a lot of other things on his plate, but I wish this project had not been pushed back. As a die North Texas alum, I would love to finish this project, and would certainly enjoy creating a life sized statue. I hope the next AD chooses to push Tyler's Greene project forward, regardless of who gets the commission to sculpt it.

Why the south endzone? It's perhaps the least accessible part of the stadium for the average fan. Why not outside the stadium on the west (press box) side of Apogee or within the stadium in the concourse area somewhere?

Edited by UNTFan23

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

See @Tyler Maryak, it's not about who you know.  It's about who you know.

I, for one, have 100% confidence that the finished product SSJ would turn out would be the crown jewel of Apogee Stadium (sorry Spiriki).

I think there's either a typo or a play on words that I didn't catch, but I totally agree. I hope that, once the new AD is situated, we can bring in SSJ for this project and get a better project for less done by one of our own.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why the south endzone? It's perhaps the least accessible part of the stadium for the average fan. Why not outside the stadium on the west (press box) side of Apogee or within the stadium in the concourse area somewhere?

x2

Or at the entrance on the victory circle side

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I believe the thought there is that the busts would reside below the names and retired numbers of those attributed to their likeness.

11 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I believe the thought there is that the busts would reside below the names and retired numbers of those attributed to their likeness.

So how would a fan go about getting a picture of the bust or a picture of themselves next to the busts? You're not even going to be able to see the busts up close because again, that part of the stadium is unavailable to common fans. I think we have better places in and around the stadium that are better locations than underneath the south scoreboard.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

So how would a fan go about getting a picture of the bust or a picture of themselves next to the busts? You're not even going to be able to see the busts up close because again, that part of the stadium is unavailable to common fans. I think we have better places in and around the stadium that are better locations than underneath the south scoreboard.

I'm not advocating, just explaining.

Perhaps the next AD will take on the mindset of TCU and allow fans consistent extended access before and after games.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

See @Tyler Maryak, it's not about who you know.  It's about who you know.

I, for one, have 100% confidence that the finished product SSJ would turn out would be the crown jewel of Apogee Stadium (sorry Spiriki).

Thanks MGT. I would certainly do my best for our university. Can't wait for Sept. 3rd. We will see y'all at the game.

9 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think it was to make them more visible to the T.V. cameras. I don't think a location was ever locked down, but the south end zone was discussed.

Edited by Side Show Joe

6 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

I think there's either a typo or a play on words that I didn't catch, but I totally agree. I hope that, once the new AD is situated, we can bring in SSJ for this project and get a better project for less done by one of our own.

Thanks Tyler. Keep me updated. I look forward to seeing what the new AD thinks of this project. I know I'm fired up about it.

• Upvote 1

On July 2, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Side Show Joe said:

Since we are all laying our cards on the table, I'll go ahead and share this. I made this life sized Joe Greene bust for the athletic department back in 2013. It was based on the above photo that Harry posted. KRAM was a big help with communicating with the athletic department and getting this thing cast.

I studied under Scott Myers, one of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's sculptors. I've taken a few commissions over the last few years. I was commissioned by TCU to create a bronze sculpture for their College of Education in Palko Hall, and I also created a sculpture of Fort Worth billionaire Richard Rainwater.

JoeGreene 1.JPG

The plan was to have this Greene sculpture installed in the south end zone, and eventually add one of Abner Haynes and Ray Renfro. The Haynes bust has been about 80% finished since 2014. I know RV had a lot of other things on his plate, but I wish this project had not been pushed back. As a die North Texas alum, I would love to finish this project, and would certainly enjoy creating a life sized statue. I hope the next AD chooses to push Tyler's Greene project forward, regardless of who gets the commission to sculpt it.

I really hate to even post this in the current day's environment, but RV wrote the check for the bronze casting costs out of his own pocket...not a penny came from athletic dept. funds.  I watched him take out his personal checkbook and write the check.  I thought it was a nice gesture.  I really had hoped to see this bust of Joe on display months ago.  But, hopefully, one day soon.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I really hate to even post this in the current day's environment, but RV wrote the check for the bronze casting costs out of his own pocket...not a penny came from athletic dept. funds.  I watched him take out his personal checkbook and write the check.  I thought it was a nice gesture.  I really had hoped to see this bust of Joe on display months ago.  But, hopefully, one day soon.

This is absolutely true. RV did write a personal check out of his own pocket to cover the cost, and this Greene bust would not have been made were it not for the influence of KRAM. He should be applauded.

• Upvote 3

And yet does anyone know if RV was reimbursed by funds from the AD? Of course they don't. Just another "RV was such a good guy" story. Nevermind that he did nothing with the Greene sculpture and left the Haynes sculpture unfinished. Nevermind that he commissioned a seperate, very similar project through Tyler that also was abandoned. Just ignore any sign of incompetence in job performance because, gosh darn it, RV was just so personable. Oh, and Hank would be great at AD. Good lord. 

Its kinda like a synopsis of the whole of RV's term at UNT. Good intentions with zero follow through. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

14 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Unless the new AD could come up with a hair-brained idea like creating a "Yankee-like" Monument Park that is a controlled area with fan access. There are ways to make it work, just gotta think outside the box.   
I too would like to see them more accessible.