MGB breaking news -- Dickenson named UNT acting AD

Brett Vito

15 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Who is Dick Enson? Lol

I don't like Ernie having a guiding hand in this. I hope Dickenson doesn't become Ernie's be best friend...

Agree with you 1000% percent. 

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

My thoughts too.  All of those things he supervises have been below average, IMO.

Yes, 23 years is long enough. Good lord...

• Upvote 3

Following the resignation of Rick Villarreal last month, the University of North Texas has retained the services of Eastman & Beaudine Inc., to assist in a national search for a new Athletic Director.

National search underway for UNT athletic director, acting athletic director named

Monday, June 6, 2016 - 16:26
Category:

DENTON (UNT), Texas -- Following the resignation of Rick Villarreal last month, the University of North Texas has retained the services of Eastman & Beaudine Inc., to assist in a national search for a new Athletic Director. The search will be conducted quickly, identifying highly qualified national candidates who will lead UNT to conference and national success while providing student-athletes a high level of academic achievement.

Bob Beaudine, CEO of the firm, will lead the search process with the goal of having the new Athletic Director identified by midsummer.

During the interim period, Special Consultants to the President, Ernest W. Kuehne III (Trip) and Michael Sicuro, will examine and assess the resources, staffing and facilities of the UNT Athletics Department.

Deputy Athletic Director Hank Dickenson, who has served the department in administrative roles for more than two decades, will be named acting Athletic Director during the transition.

Plano-based Eastman & Beaudine is one of the nation's leading executive search firms in sports and entertainment, providing assessment and counsel to universities seeking to build their senior athletic leadership teams. Kuehne holds an MBA and is the founder and Senior Managing Partner of the Westlake-based investment firm Double Eagle Capital Management, LP. Sicuro has more than 30 years of experience with public and private companies and has provided growth and turnaround leadership for companies ranging from $50 million to more than $4 billion in annual revenues.

Dickenson's current administrative role includes scheduling, personnel management and oversight of external activities such as fundraising, sponsorships, marketing and promotions and media relations, among other duties.

UNT News Service Phone Number: (940) 565-2108

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

Something is not right here. He has labored in that department for twenty-three years in the shadows of two ADs. He is definitely a "settler", not the epitome of ambition. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for loyal foot-soldiers in most organizations. As I stated a while back in another post, I would like to see Hank continue in his broadcast and teaching gig, with his other activities subject to review and evaluation by a new, energetic AD from outside. I would expect Hank to develop a strategy and plan for his proposed community / fundraising duties with mutually-agreed objectives. His progress toward those objectives would be evaluated regularly. Step up or step away.

As the new AD I could see myself valuing his continuity to help me understand the situation, yet I would always wonder about his loyalty to me. JMHO.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

with the goal of having the new Athletic Director identified by midsummer.

Man, this seems really soon for any program, much less UNT.  Summers are usually the off season up there.  Could it be they already have their candidate in mind?

And what exactly is the difference between acting and interim?  Did anyone else notice that differing connotation?  I thought is was always "interim" that was the term used.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Man, this seems really soon for any program, much less UNT.  Summers are usually the off season up there.  Could it be they already have their candidate in mind?

And what exactly is the difference between acting and interim?  Did anyone else notice that differing connotation?  I thought is was always "interim" that was the term used.

Midsummer? That would be like July 15th, which is only 5 weeks away. If we have a new AD before football practice starts in August I'll be surprised. Normally it takes several months to find someone to be an Athletics Director.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Midsummer? That would be like July 15th, which is only 5 weeks away. If we have a new AD before football starts in August I'll be surprised. Normally it takes several months to find someone to be an Athletics Director.

Not to mention vacations and the 4th of July, Fathers day etc... that is an extremely ambitious timeline or like I said, it's just a formality.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry said:

Not to mention vacations and the 4th of July, Fathers day etc... that is an extremely ambitious timeline or like I said, it's just a formality.

If it's a formality, why hire a search firm? To give the search some legitimacy?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'd prefer evaluators who had more experience in college athletics.  Other than that this is nothing unexpected.  I'd bet a lot of money that Hank won't get the job.

"Plano-based Eastman & Beaudine is one of the nation's leading executive search firms in sports and entertainment, providing assessment and counsel to universities seeking to build their senior athletic leadership teams. Kuehne holds an MBA and is the founder and Senior Managing Partner of the Westlake-based investment firm Double Eagle Capital Management, LP. Sicuro has more than 30 years of experience with public and private companies and has provided growth and turnaround leadership for companies ranging from $50 million to more than $4 billion in annual revenues."

BINGO! The bolded part in the quote above is what is called for here, IMO.

• Upvote 4