MGB breaking news -- Dickenson named UNT acting AD

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

If it's a formality, why hire a search firm? To give the search some legitimacy?

UNLV’s search for a new athletic director is over and Tina Kunzer-Murphy is staying put.

University president Neal Smatresk will extend the contract of Kunzer-Murphy, who took over for Jim Livengood in July on an interim basis, through Dec. 31, 2014. Her appointment was scheduled to expire on Dec. 31. She will get a slight pay increase from $170,00 to $180,000 a year.

The hiring of Kunzer-Murphy, who was the executive director of the Las Vegas Bowl from 2000 to 2012, is subject to approval of the Board of Regents at its Oct. 18 meeting in Las Vegas.

Kunzer-Murphy, 60, a 1975 graduate of UNLV, is the school’s first female AD in its 55-year athletic history. Technically, she will retain her interim title but Smatresk said there’s no doubt who is running the department.

“It takes some of the pressure off,” Smatresk said of the move to retain Kunzer-Murphy. “She has the support of everyone and in looking at the things she did in stabilizing the athletic department, working with the Thomas & Mack and with the coaches, it made sense to keep her and allow her to continue to do what she’s been doing.”

link: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/kunzer-murphy-picked-become-unlvs-first-female-athletic-director

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Midsummer? That would be like July 15th, which is only 5 weeks away. If we have a new AD before football practice starts in August I'll be surprised. Normally it takes several months to find someone to be an Athletics Director.

Normally I would agree with that. What is called for here, and what may be in play, is the hiring of a workout AD to get a handle on the mess and make tough decisions. I voiced an opinion in another post a while back that that would be one way to go. If "Mr. Right" is available out there, go for it. Otherwise, "Mr. Big Gonads" can go to work now on fixing things. Many summers ago I was in the LBO / Restructuring business and saw how that works first hand.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Man, this seems really soon for any program, much less UNT.  Summers are usually the off season up there.  Could it be they already have their candidate in mind?

And what exactly is the difference between acting and interim?  Did anyone else notice that differing connotation?  I thought is was always "interim" that was the term used.

My hope is that this search has been ongoing for several months and that the new AD has already been selected, and his/her name isn't Hank Dickenson. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Hank will not be permanent. He is just holding down the fort until the announcement is made. As I mentioned several months back, Seth was not RV's guy and there will be an outside AD in place shortly.  I'm interested to see what Sicuro and Trip are able to determine. I have heard that everything in the department from customer service, to merchandising and PR is under review.

hope your right.

Rick

• Downvote 1

I hope this company was the right choice.  I already see a conflict of interest or a conspiracy in the making.

Bob Beaudine, President

"Bob’s leadership also extends into the local community. Bob was recently named to the Board of Directors for the Texas Rangers and is on the Advisory Board of Directors for the College Football Assistance Fund and Southern Methodist University Cox School of Business since its inception. He was the former Chairman of the “Doak Walker National Running Back Award”. He is an alumnus of both Leadership Dallas and Leadership Plano. He is a graduate (1977) of Southern Methodist University with a bachelor of business administration degree. He & his wife Cheryl have been married for 29 years and have three fabulous daughters."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Hank will not be permanent. He is just holding down the fort until the announcement is made. As I mentioned several months back, Seth was not RV's guy and there will be an outside AD in place shortly.  I'm interested to see what Sicuro and Trip are able to determine. I have heard that everything in the department from customer service, to merchandising and PR is under review.

So we have hired the top headhunting firm in college athletics. Two successful business man involved in multiple businesses, which I am sure some involved turn around situations. This is great! Looking forward to the new UNT Ad department!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, xyresic said:

I don't know who you are, but I hope to God this is solid inside info.

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I hope this company was the right choice.  I already see a conflict of interest or a conspiracy in the making.

Bob Beaudine, President

"Bob’s leadership also extends into the local community. Bob was recently named to the Board of Directors for the Texas Rangers and is on the Advisory Board of Directors for the College Football Assistance Fund and Southern Methodist University Cox School of Business since its inception. He was the former Chairman of the “Doak Walker National Running Back Award”. He is an alumnus of both Leadership Dallas and Leadership Plano. He is a graduate (1977) of Southern Methodist University with a bachelor of business administration degree. He & his wife Cheryl have been married for 29 years and have three fabulous daughters."

Bob Beaudine single handedly kept UNT out of the SWC!!!!!!1!!!1!!1!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

What is Ernest W. Kuehne III (Trip) background and who does he work for?  I know the connection with Ernie.........is this the good ole boy network in play?

He works for himself as owner of Double Eagle investments in Irving.

No idea what connection or interest he has in NT other than his dad attended school here decades ago, then appeared out of thin air suddenly taking an interest in NT again 5-6 years ago and donated some big money.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guys, I think Hank will do a good job, and am happy for him. However, what are Trip Kuehne's [Ernie's son] qualifications to be a "Special Consultant to the President?" I appreciate everything Ernie has done for UNT,but this just reeks of nepotism. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

Guys, I think Hank will do a good job, and am happy for him. However, what are Trip Kuehne's [Ernie's son] qualifications to be a "Special Consultant to the President?" I appreciate everything Ernie has done for UNT,but this just reeks of nepotism. 

Just a guess here, no information. If I was Ernie...and if I was willing to come up with some more cash to fund AD objectives...but if I wanted an opinion that I could trust concerning the real, unvarnished state of affairs in the AD...I might bankroll some management consulting to get the truth. JMO.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

My thoughts too.  All of those things he supervises have been below average, IMO.

Below average is putting it nicely. And hearing him on air is a beating. Not just that he's not a good color man, but he doesn't get it. I'm sure he's a good guy, but not the guy who can maximize our potential.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

So we have hired the top headhunting firm in college athletics. Two successful business man involved in multiple businesses, which I am sure some involved turn around situations. This is great! Looking forward to the new UNT Ad department!

And will this cost us the equivalent of baseball program startup costs?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

And will this cost us the equivalent of baseball program startup costs?

Probably. You can look at it that way, or you can look at it like this...set the AD on a new foundation of rock.  I don't think we're going to be too happy with the current sand foundation going forward. JMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Search firms typically charge around 20% of the annual compensation.  If their fees cost the same as starting baseball then we are going to have the most expensive AD in the country.  I am not sure how much the other 2 consultants are charging, but shouldn't be more than the search firm.

Would this type of hire come out of the athletic budge or the university budget?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Trip is an extremely sharp guy, with a background in the highest level of athletics and finance. He's a great guy who wants to see the university succeed, and will give an honest, unbiased accounting / assessment of how this athletic program should be ran ("big picture" guy). This is a good pick by the president, for Trip to be involved

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Bob Beaudine, President

I've known some SMU people, and guess what?  None of them have ever said anything about SMU football.  In fact, some of them also have ties to UNT, and guess what?  None of them have ever said anything about UNT football.  Not that there couldn't be something there, but why let sentimentality (which may be the only reason most have followed either program in recent years), get in the way of business?  But I do like a good conspiracy theory.  My work requires me to know a lot about Dallas history (yeah, University Park is not Dallas, but is surrounded by it), and I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that ever happened in Dallas worth reporting that wasn't a conspiracy was the Kennedy assassination.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1