Benford vs Jones

dml7007

With everyone calling for Benford job, I wanted to do a quick comparison to his and JJ first 4 years at NT.

Just remember it took Jones into his 6th year to win 20 games. I am not happy with how we have been preforming, but it could be worse. Benford actually only has slightly lower  winning percentage than jones had in his 1st 4 years

Jones -

2001–02 North Texas 15–14     8–7 4th (West)  
2002–03 North Texas 7–21        2–13 6th (West)  
2003–04 North Texas 13–15 8–8 3rd (West)  
2004–05 North Texas 14–14 6–9 T–4th (West)  

Total : 49-64 .433 Winning Percentage

2005–06

North Texas

14–14

6–9

T–4th (West)

2012–13 North Texas 12–20   7–13 4th  

2013–14 North Texas 16–16  6–10 11th  
2014–15 North Texas 14–17  8–10 T–7th  
2015–16 North Texas 12–20  7–11 T–9th  

Total ; 54–73 .425 winning percentage

Edited by dml7007
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 17

19 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

With everyone calling for Benford job, I wanted to do a quick comparison to his and JJ first 4 years at NT.

Just remember it took Jones into his 6th year to win 20 games. I am not happy with how we have been preforming, but it could be worse. Benford actually only has slightly lower  winning percentage than jones had in his 1st 4 years

Jones -

2001–02 North Texas 15–14     8–7 4th (West)  
2002–03 North Texas 7–21        2–13 6th (West)  
2003–04 North Texas 13–15 8–8 3rd (West)  
2004–05 North Texas 14–14 6–9 T–4th (West)  

Total : 49-64 .433 Winning Percentage

2005–06

North Texas

14–14

6–9

T–4th (West)

2012–13 North Texas 12–20   7–13 4th  

2013–14 North Texas 16–16  6–10 11th  
2014–15 North Texas 14–17  8–10 T–7th  
2015–16 North Texas 12–20  7–11 T–9th  

Total ; 54–73 .425 winning percentage

Yeah, because taking over Johnny Jones' most talented team ever is EXACTLY the same as taking over a squad that was led by Vic Trilli, who was our first version of Todd Dodge before Dodge ever made it to campus...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, because taking over Johnny Jones' most talented team ever is EXACTLY the same as taking over a squad that was led by Vic Trilli, who was our first version of Todd Dodge before Dodge ever made it to campus...

Technically I think Parker was the first version of Todd Dodge. But I see your point.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

I not saying he should be retained, but I just saying if we bring someone new in it could take a few more years for them to get there style/players in place.  He has failed to improve each year which is troublesome.

So what you are  saying is essentially, that we paid him handsomely to learn on the job, and should retain him now because there is a chance that all that training and investement might still come out to show success. I get the point, but like most on this board I really haven't seen anything that feeds the hope it will turn around. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

So what you are  saying is essentially, that we paid him handsomely to learn on the job, and should retain him now because there is a chance that all that training and investement might still come out to show success. I get the point, but like most on this board I really haven't seen anything that feeds the hope it will turn around. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses.

Where are the jobs where you get paid handsomely for on the job training, do an awful job with great resources,, and still get retained year after year? How come they aren't on Indeed?

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dml7007 said:

I not saying he should be retained, but I just saying if we bring someone new in it could take a few more years for them to get there style/players in place.  He has failed to improve each year which is troublesome.

Drilling fundamentals into a team such as free throw shooting, blocking out,  making the extra pass, etc. has just about absolutely nothing to do with "style of play" or "letting 'him' gets his players." We lose a lot of games because of the accumulation of not doing the small things. The small things can be fixed with decent coaching. Benford has shown he's not a decent coach. It's time to move on. But, we won't because we can't. We can't because it would make RV look worse than he already does. The writing is clearly on the wall. We are pitiful. I have fully accepted the liability of wearing North Texas apparel. My excuse is cocked and loaded when I get badgered by other fans of real athletic departments...Rick V. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Drilling fundamentals into a team such as free throw shooting, blocking out,  making the extra pass, etc. has just about absolutely nothing to do with "style of play" or "letting 'him' gets his players." We lose a lot of games because of the accumulation of not doing the small things. The small things can be fixed with decent coaching. Benford has shown he's not a decent coach. It's time to move on. But, we won't because we can't. We can't because it would make RV look worse than he already does. The writing is clearly on the wall. We are pitiful. I have fully accepted the liability of wearing North Texas apparel. My excuse is cocked and loaded when I get badgered by other fans of real athletic departments...Rick V. 

I have two drawers full of gear and jackets and hoodies hanging in the closet. Sunk cost. Depending on the weather, I wear one or more pieces up to six times a year now. I laugh every day when I get my email pushing more gear. I'm tired of wearing it and putting up with the taunts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still believe that JJ will be our coach again. Think about it. If LSU buys him out, this year or next, he would be welcomed back so quickly by RV, the fans, and the administration. I truly believe that he will make it back here. He's the one coach here in a revenue sport that left here as a winner since Fry left, IIRC. He has been able to win in spite of his boss--that's the real miracle here. If we got him back, it would be a perfect fit.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dml7007 said:

#TheTerroristsHaveWon

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure about the first sentence of yours anymore. Almost amazingly, I am now of the belief that if Benford makes it thru this weekend, he's gonna coach for us in a contract year. I would have pegged the odds of this occurring at no more than 1% even a few weeks ago, but it is now it appears to be the way things may just go.

JJ replacing Benford wouldn't surprise me at all, and that may very well be what RV is counting on for how he will get the PR machine going when it becomes clear that Benford cannot be extended, costing RV an extension of his own, and must be replaced. What better way to buy some time with the 17 donors than to bring back the guy who had success here?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1