Qb? Qb?

Wag Tag

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

Augie is an interesting specimen. I would think that he would commit today but who knows. I say we start a social media movement with #AugieToApogee

I'm just not sure he is the answer. 

1) I think he is a big family guy, hard to believe he would make the move to Texas. 

2) The 3 high school in four years makes it hard for me to believe even if he signs he would stay here longer than a year. 

3) Maybe it's the hair, but watching him play reminds me alot of Andrew McNulty. (And the fact he has no current scholarship offers besides ours)

4) I think Seth and Graham are confident enough in their offense. That they believe put up points this year and next year QB recruiting will be alot easier. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I'm just not sure he is the answer. 

1) I think he is a big family guy, hard to believe he would make the move to Texas. 

2) The 3 high school in four years makes it hard for me to believe even if he signs he would stay here longer than a year. 

3) Maybe it's the hair, but watching him play reminds me alot of Andrew McNulty. (And the fact he has no current scholarship offers besides ours)

4) I think Seth and Graham are confident enough in their offense. That they believe put up points this year and next year QB recruiting will be alot easier. 

Answer or not, we need a competent HS QB to sign with this class. With Fine already in the bag, if we can sign Augie or who ever with this class, it will set us in the right direction moving forward.

What was the reason behind the moving from HS to HS? Is he a problem child, are they private schools, did his dad get moved around for work? There might be reasons behind that but you sign now and worry about him  leaving later. If he signs here and starts kicking ass on the practice squad as a Freshman, who knows if hes not competing to be the starting QB as a RS Freshman. I might be dreaming but

2 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Answer or not, we need a competent HS QB to sign with this class. With Fine already in the bag, if we can sign Augie or who ever with this class, it will set us in the right direction moving forward.

What was the reason behind the moving from HS to HS? Is he a problem child, are they private schools, did his dad get moved around for work? There might be reasons behind that but you sign now and worry about him  leaving later. If he signs here and starts kicking ass on the practice squad as a Freshman, who knows if hes not competing to be the starting QB as a RS Freshman. I might be dreaming but

The only thing I've seen is some hearsay from a FLSt message board.  So unless something more substantial comes out, whatever answer you get to this question should be taken with a grain of salt.

30 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The only thing I've seen is some hearsay from a FLSt message board.  So unless something more substantial comes out, whatever answer you get to this question should be taken with a grain of salt.

AUGIE DEBIASE: DREAMS AND DOUBTS

After switching schools and teams three times, Augie DeBiase took a shot at a place far different and far away from his family’s sprawling Ponte Vedra Beach home. He hadn’t liked the coaching changes at his earlier schools, so his parents found a place to rent on Moncrief so he could go to Raines.

His father had always been willing to pay the price of success for his son. That meant agility drills at 5 years old, weightlifting and dieting by sixth grade, choosing schools for their football teams, flying Augie to private coaches and recruiting camps.

It’s all so much, Augie’s mom said, but this was what it took to succeed at football nowadays, not like when her husband was in high school and at Seton Hall University, where he earned a scholarship before blowing out his knee.

Augie won starting duty at Nease as a freshman but, after the season, transferred to Providence. There, the coach was fired, and the new coach wanted a run-first offense, so Augie transferred to Fletcher.

That’s where the rumors started: He didn’t deserve to start; his dad bought his way onto the team. The talk irritated Augie. No one, he said, could honestly think a quarterback could buy playing time. I can’t change my parents’ wealth, he told people; all I can do is work harder than everyone. He didn’t like Fletcher’s environment, the rumors and the way people made fun of his family’s wealth, so again, he and his dad looked to move.

https://ui.ppjol.com/mobile_stop/1/jacksonville/u/mbEsU_OsyLA63cSTthzfQa.html?zone=UC6VgrQXuioEeS3-tQ3-M2&mobile=1&entry=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&u=e16ur3h8wwyqKmp6Vtt9S1&parentURL=http%3A%2F%2Fm.jacksonville.com%2Fnews%2Fmetro%2F2016-01-30%2Fstory%2Fthree-raines-teenagers-varying-pasts-take-aim-one-ultimate-goal%23article%3D67965E06658BD4C4C8BAB362F974F708F727

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

After switching schools and teams three times, Augie DeBiase took a shot at a place far different and far away from his family’s sprawling Ponte Vedra Beach home. He hadn’t liked the coaching changes at his earlier schools, so his parents found a place to rent on Moncrief so he could go to Raines.

His father had always been willing to pay the price of success for his son.That meant agility drills at 5 years old, weightlifting and dieting by sixth grade, choosing schools for their football teams, flying Augie to private coaches and recruiting camps.

It’s all so much, Augie’s mom said, but this was what it took to succeed at football nowadays, not like when her husband was in high school and at Seton Hall University, where he earned a scholarship before blowing out his knee.

Augie won starting duty at Nease as a freshman but, after the season, transferred to Providence. There, the coach was fired, and the new coach wanted a run-first offense, so Augie transferred to Fletcher.

That’s where the rumors started: He didn’t deserve to start; his dad bought his way onto the team. The talk irritated Augie. No one, he said, could honestly think a quarterback could buy playing time. I can’t change my parents’ wealth, he told people; all I can do is work harder than everyone. He didn’t like Fletcher’s environment, the rumors and the way people made fun of his family’s wealth, so again, he and his dad looked to move.

https://ui.ppjol.com/mobile_stop/1/jacksonville/u/mbEsU_OsyLA63cSTthzfQa.html?zone=UC6VgrQXuioEeS3-tQ3-M2&mobile=1&entry=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&u=e16ur3h8wwyqKmp6Vtt9S1&parentURL=http%3A%2F%2Fm.jacksonville.com%2Fnews%2Fmetro%2F2016-01-30%2Fstory%2Fthree-raines-teenagers-varying-pasts-take-aim-one-ultimate-goal%23article%3D67965E06658BD4C4C8BAB362F974F708F727

Sounds like daddy's trying to relive his glory days through his son. Sad.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

By not signing another high school QB or a Junior College QB, I'd be on the lookout for a scholarship to be held back for a "defection" transfer after spring ball or at the completion of the spring semester. You have to believe between Littrell, Harrell, Filani, Mainord, and Davis that they have plenty of relationships with QB's across the country, many of whom may be currently residing on FBS rosters.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

His father had always been willing to pay the price of success for his son. That meant agility drills at 5 years old, weightlifting and dieting by sixth grade, choosing schools for their football teams, flying Augie to private coaches and recruiting camps.

From the looks of it and I didnt read the whole thing so sorry JayD, but When a new coach came in he moved to better his chances to further his career. I dont see anything with that, especially if Daddy is willing to help him with that. Not everyone can do that so as long as we dont have a coaching change while he is here, I dont see him moving but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

By not signing another high school QB or a Junior College QB, I'd be on the lookout for a scholarship to be held back for a "defection" transfer after spring ball or at the completion of the spring semester. You have to believe between Littrell, Harrell, Filani, Mainord, and Davis that they have plenty of relationships with QB's across the country, many of whom may be currently residing on FBS rosters.

Good point. 

• Upvote 2

Makes you wonder if Morris helped him make the prep school decision.  With Morris and Smith he would likely redshirt here anyway.  He goes to Prep school and then gets to play and redo his recruiting again.  I would argue that being a part of Littrell and Harrel's system would be preferable to Prep school tutelage but it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, SouthBendGreen said:

Augie going the Prep School route?  What does that even mean and how does it work if he is a senior?

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/02/augie-debiase-likely-headed-to-prep-school.html/

I have no idea, they have like QB or football academies or something I think. Similar to what Chris Riddle did I believe. Kids usually do it to try to improve offers for the next year. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Makes you wonder if Morris helped him make the prep school decision.  With Morris and Smith he would likely redshirt here anyway.  He goes to Prep school and then gets to play and redo his recruiting again.  I would argue that being a part of Littrell and Harrel's system would be preferable to Prep school tutelage but it is what it is.

Uh, yeah agree and it's a huge risk as well. Turning down a guaranteed scholarship for hopes of playing closer to home or getting better offers is very risky. I'd take the guarantee and not bank on what could happen, but that's just me. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I have no idea, they have like QB or football academies or something I think. Similar to what Chris Riddle did I believe. Kids usually do it to try to improve offers for the next year. 

I guess I just never realized that once you matriculate through HS there is an option other than college.  So this doesn't go against his college eligibility?  How in all my years of following college athletics and recruiting have I not known about this?  I mean can't kids use this like underclassmen staying in college to improve their draft stock?  Go a year of prep school and get bigger, faster, older, more experienced then try and upgrade from FCS offers to FBS?

1 minute ago, SouthBendGreen said:

I guess I just never realized that once you matriculate through HS there is an option other than college.  So this doesn't go against his college eligibility?  How in all my years of following college athletics and recruiting have I not known about this?  I mean can't kids use this like underclassmen staying in college to improve their draft stock?  Go a year of prep school and get bigger, faster, older, more experienced then try and upgrade from FCS offers to FBS?

They can and do. I don't know much about this but us guess money and risk is why it's not as common. Maybe someone else can expand on it. I would think you'd have to be fairly well off to afford one of these. 

12 minutes ago, SouthBendGreen said:

My understanding is that prep school players dont lose any years of eligibility 

I was recently told that Coach Harrell is really high on the kid out of Oklahoma, Mason Fine, and really wants the kid at UNT as a QB.  Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Also...was told that Coach Littrell still expects to sign a few more players before the deadline...maybe up to the full 25.  We could be in store for a pleasant surprise or two if a couple of things fall UNT's way before the deadline.  We will know come Wednesday, and get to hear about it from the coaching staff on Wednesday, Feb. 3rd from 5-7pm at Apogee's Hub Club room.  Here's hoping for a big turn out to meet and greet our new coaching staff, and to find a bit out about the UNT recruiting class of 2016!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Keep in mind, also, that he's already 19 and will turn 20 during the next football season.

This is what I was thinking about as well. I was wondering if maybe teams stayed away from offering because he is so old and they thought he didn't have room to grow as much as most recruits. I mean I'm in the spring semester of my sophomore year and we are the same age, so did he get held back a year or 2? Kinda a red flag especially since he'll be even older next year. Wouldn't think too many teams want a 20 year old freshman that is only like a 3 star at most.

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I was recently told that Coach Harrell is really high on the kid out of Oklahoma, Mason Fine, and really wants the kid at UNT as a QB.  Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Also...was told that Coach Littrell still expects to sign a few more players before the deadline...maybe up to the full 25.  We could be in store for a pleasant surprise or two if a couple of things fall UNT's way before the deadline.  We will know come Wednesday, and get to hear about it from the coaching staff on Wednesday, Feb. 3rd from 5-7pm at Apogee's Hub Club room.  Here's hoping for a big turn out to meet and greet our new coaching staff, and to find a bit out about the UNT recruiting class of 2016!

I am really bummed...have a meeting at 5:30 wish the event was at 7 so I could make it... guuuhhhhhh

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I am really bummed...have a meeting at 5:30 wish the event was at 7 so I could make it... guuuhhhhhh

7 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Signing the full 25 seems unrealistic but then again I keep wondering why we are offering blueshirts and PWO's to keep space open. As a recent commit said, they were talking about a blueshirt with him until a defensive lineman fell through. That makes it seem like they are still hopeful to sign a full to almost full class. 

• Upvote 1